Prince Nicholas (1872-1938), Grand Duchess Elena (1882-1957) and daughters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Elizabeth of Greece

Born Princess Elizabeth of Greece in 1904, she was the second daughter of Prince and Princess Nicholas. As children, the three sisters – Olga, Elizabeth and Marina, had the standard reputation of all the young Greek royals being noisy, boisterous, very attached to each other but respectful and well-mannered when required by the presence of their elders.

Nicknamed 'woolly' as a youngster, on account of her thick head of hair, Princess Elizabeth was apparently as sweet and good-natured a princess as there ever was. However, now aged 23, and with her older sister married the previous year to Prince Paul of Yugoslavia, Princess Elizabeth agreed to be engaged to Queen Marie of Romania's second son, Prince Nicolas – an arrangement which quickly proved abortive.

A similar image, made on the same date was reproduced in The Lady and The Gentlewoman on the occasion of her engagement to Prince Nicolas of Romania.

In her twenties Princess Elizabeth was considered a great beauty, and featured along with her younger sister, Princess Marina (later Duchess of Kent and one of Britain's most popular royals ever), in a 1931 advertisement for Pond's beauty cream, just as Queen Marie had done some years earlier. The caption described her 'as beautiful as a princess out of a fairy story - with all the graciousness and dignity that is her royal inheritance... for she is charming, gay, versatile - and enchantingly pretty.'

Notwithstanding the heady praise of their looks and character, almost ten years after this image she and her sister Marina were still unmarried.

Near to despair their mother, Princess Nicholas, took them on a round of European royal courts to no avail. It was not until a visit to her married sister's country home at Bohinj in Yugoslavia that she met and fell in love with Count Karl Theodor zu Toerring-Jettenbach, a Bavarian aristocrat whose wealth now came from the brewing business. They were married in January 1934.

What lovely pics. The girls are adorable. Thanks for sharing. :flower:

Princess Olga of Yugoslavia nee Greece

Do any of our posters know which cemetery in Lausanne she,her husband Prince Paul and son Prince Nicholas are buried? Princess Helen of Romania nee Greece is also buried with them. Also does anyone have pictures. Thanks:cool:

Jim said:
Do any of our posters know which cemetery in Lausanne she,her husband Prince Paul and son Prince Nicholas are buried? Princess Helen of Romania nee Greece is also buried with them. Also does anyone have pictures. Thanks:cool:

Hello Jim, welcome to TRF. :)

There is a thread dedicated to 'Royal families of Yugoslavia' that can be found at European Royalty forum - there you should be able to find plenty photos as well as information about Karadjordjevic dynasty in general and about most of their members. Regarding exact burial place of Princess Olga, please check this link:

http://www.royalfamily.org/exhibits/oplenac/oplenac.htm - Oplenac

As far as I am informed, her as well as Prince Pavle's and Prince Nikola's permanent resting place is family cript on Oplenac.

Also, I highly recommend the Official web site of the Royal Family (all about Karadjordjevics):

www.royalfamily.org

Regards.

Last edited:
Elegance: Greek Princesses: Marina, Duchess of Kent and Olga of Yugoslavia

I happen to be interested in photographs of elegant royal women. Princess Marina who married the Duke of Kent and her sister Olga, who married Prince Paul of Yugoslavia (later Prince Regent of Yugoslavia), daughters of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Grand Duchess Helen of Russia were majestic and stunningly elegant. I know a lot about their lives but have seen very few of their official and unofficial photos. I understand that Princess Marina had modeled for Vogue in the early 1930's before she married the Duke of Kent. Both sisters have also been immortalized extensively by such perfectionists as Sir Cecil Beaton and Bassano.
Any photos or comments would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't know about princess olga, but princess marina should have some pictures in places like worldroot.com and the british royal family official website.

They are a bit hard to find online I am afraid. I have many of them in a greek book about the royals (dont understand a word, but I am loving every picture) and in Mead Laylor's series.

Not sure

Kelly said:
I don't know about princess olga, but princess marina should have some pictures in places like worldroot.com and the british royal family official website.

On the British website, I found (as expected) photos of Marina's daughter, princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy, who is the most junior, in terms of precedence, member of the Royal Family and who has, in fact, inherited her mother's sophistication. Unfortunately, Marina is long gone (she died in the 60's of brain cancer).

Thanks for the really cool thread on Princess Marina, I really enjoyed the pictures and the comments. She is my all time favorite British Royal!
She is so elegant and beautiful and the epitome of a Royal Lady.
She just gives off this aura of class and old world Royalty.

OEM Pictures

I am very interested by the three beautiful daughters of the Prince Nicolas of Greece, son of king George I, and his wife Helene, born Grand Duchess of Russia : Olga, Elisabeth and Marina, and I would like to see pictures of them, together or individually, on this forum.
Does somebody have this which he could post it here ?
Thank you very much for your help !

greeknickyfamily1oq1.jpg

Nicholas and Elena with their three daughters, Olga, Elizabeth and Marina.

Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark (1903-1997) was the oldest of Nicholas and Elena's three daughters and the longest lived. She married Prince Paul (later the Prince Regent) of Yugoslavia and they had three children, Alexandar, Nikola and Elisabeth. Her daughter's daughter, Catherine Oxenberg, has a TV show called "I Married a Princess" which is not really correct, since Catherine isn't a princess.

olgagreece19021nc4.jpg

Princess Elizavet (Elizabeth) of Greece and Denmark (1904-1955) was the second daughter and shortest-lived. I think she died of cancer, but I'm not exactly sure. Her family called her Woolly because of her hair. She married Count Carl Theodor of Toerring-Jettenbach. They had two children, Hans Veit and Helene.

elizabethgreece19044yn3.jpg

Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark (1905-1968) was the youngest daughter and probably the most famous. She married Prince George, the Duke of Kent in 1934. They had three children, Edward, Alexandra and Michael.

marinagreece19068an0.jpg

These pictures are splendid, thank you very much for sharing them.
Here, Marina has the same delicious smile as that which, later, will confer such an amount of charm to her !

It seems that she was, towards the end of her life, attack of a brain tumour.

However, you say that her sister Elisabeth also died of a cancer.
That made much for the same family !

:ermm:To believe that the Oldenburg Dynasty was predisposed with this terrible disease.

olgaelizaveta.jpg

Princess Olga with her daughter Elizaveta of Yugoslavia

elizabeth.jpg

Princess Elisabeth of Greece

youngprincess.jpg

Princess Marina

Some additional Pictures of the three Princesses :

1906.jpg

Princess Nicolas of Greece, born Grand Duchess Helena Vladimirovna of Russia, with her three daughters Elisabeth, Olga and baby Marina

heleneoem.jpg

The same a few years later

oem7.jpg

The three sisters together, from left by right : Marina, Elisabeth and Olga

woolymarina.jpg

Elisabeth, surnamed "Wooly" with her sister Marina

Last edited by a moderator:
IN the third picture posted by Geli you can see why Elizabeth was called Woolly!

What wonderful pictures of Princess Nicholas!
She passed her stunning dark looks on to her daughters, for sure!!
Are there any of Princess Nicholas and her mother, Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna??

Indeed, as we can see it on the pictures, the princesses and particulary Marina, inherited the eyes and the look of their mother.

Of course, there are some photos of the Princess Nicolas with her native family.
I would post some of them later...

Portrait of the Princess Nicolas of Greece :

2.jpg

Princess Helen with her two elder daughters Olga and Elisabeth :

5.jpg

Thats tail end of my favorite era of history....... the span from about 1800-1918 just fascinates me me in general - but particularly Royal-wise!

Welcome to the forum geli.

Thanks for sharing these pictures. They are quite fascinating. Princess Marina was quite a stunning young girl.

I wonder if the girls learned to speak Russian from their mother? I noticed she's wearing a Russian tiara in one of the pics.

Thanks Ysbel,

Marina did not inherit the Russian Kokoshnik Tiara of her mother because it semms that it is rather her sister Elisabeth who received it in heritage.
However, at the time of her engagement with Prince George of Great Britain, her mother-in-law, the Queen Mary, offered to her as a wedding present a same diadem style which was then extremely in fashion and which all the Queens and Princesses of the time wanted to have in their jewels collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if you can help? I would like to know more about the time spent in Paris by Princess Marina and Princess Olga before they married, respectively, the Duke of kent and Prince Paul of Yugoslavia. Are there any books which cover this subject?

Did you know the late Count of Paris was in love with Princess Marina and would ask her hand in marriage if his father had not prevented him on account of her Orthodox Religion? It was the Count himself who told this story in the posthumously book of interviews with Philippe Delorme.
You can find a bio on Princess Marina at:
duchess marina kent - AbeBooks

[FONT=&quot]I just pity these royalties who have not had the time to experience the kind of freedom that we commoners are experiencing most of our lives. Though they live with crowns on their heads, I’d say that being like them takes a lot of guts and commitment.[/FONT]

Princess Marina and Princess Olga in Paris, early 1930s

Hello, Can anyone tell me if there is a definitive book or article which includes details of the lives of these two, during their Paris years, before they married Prince George, Duke of Kent and Prince Paul of Yugoslavia? Thank you, Christopher

Back
Top Bottom