King Paul I (1901-1964) and Queen Frederika (1917-1981)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
14 June1961, Jackie Kennedy was received by the Royal Family at the Tatoi Palace.

and again 1963

Pavlos was a very handsome and striking man. Everytime I see him, I have that thought.

Greek royals

Hello there,, my name Ronald Biver Iam also intersted in the Greek Royal Family all the way back through Russia, Germany,Denmark & England ( House of Hanover) through historical books AND DVD about the GREEK royals, keep in touch!!

Last edited:
King Pavlos knowing he suffered from cancer should have prepared Constantin better !

King Pavlos knowing he suffered from cancer should have prepared Constantin better !

Perhaps it all happened to quickly and there wasn't enough time especially if the king was ill.

King Pavlos began to have symptoms of illness in early 1963, he was treated for appendicitis, however it was in December 1963 when it was discovere. He suffered from constant back pain, but it was treated as problems related to muscle pain. In December, he had X-rays done, and tests to determine exactly his muscular ailments from him, it was then that the very advanced cancer was detected. King Constantine tells in his biography like the doctor visited him, his father was out of Greece, and told him the bad news, the doctor told him that King Pavlos did not have much life left. King Constantine, then Prince, called his mother who was in US . In a family meet, they communicated to King Pavlos the bad news. King Pavlos only lived two more months.
In January 1964 Princess Sofia, who on December 20 had given birth to a girl, Infanta Elena, she traveled to Greece to spend as much time as possible with her father, she took the Infanta Elena to meet him .

Last edited:
When he lived in England, Crown Prince Paul used the name Paul Beck when he worked at Armstrong-Whitworth's as an aircraft mechanic. How did he select Beck?

When he lived in England, Crown Prince Paul used the name Paul Beck when he worked at Armstrong-Whitworth's as an aircraft mechanic. How did he select Beck?

I'm guessing because he belonged to the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck branch of the House of Oldenburg, which became the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg branch when his great-great-grandfather Friedrich Wilhelm became Duke of Glucksburg in 1825. But I could be wrong.

I'm guessing because he belonged to the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck branch of the House of Oldenburg, which became the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg branch when his great-great-grandfather Friedrich Wilhelm became Duke of Glucksburg in 1825. But I could be wrong.

Gawin, You may be absolutely correct. I did not consider the House of Schleswig-Holstein. I am so use to hearing of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh originially being Of Greece and a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg.

Talking about the Greek royals, you should try the Dutch royal websites "BLAUW BLOED"
(translation= BLUE BLOOD) (VORSTEN translation= ROYALS), can be translated in english, just PRESS the translation button for english & the english website HONEY , with a special section about the European royals and of course the Spanish magazine HOLA with a section about the royals, also there is a translation button for english.

There is a black/white/color photo book out of King Pavlos (father of ex king Constantine) in Greek & English & a DVD extra about the Greek royals (past & present).
The title of the book & DVD is "Pavlos, No Ordinary King" by Nikos Politis, the photo book & DVD is worth having it, I saw the DVD, all about king Paul (Pavlos) & queen Frederika, the 3 children & their descendants.

There is a black/white/color photo book out of King Pavlos (father of ex king Constantine) in Greek & English & a DVD extra about the Greek royals (past & present).
The title of the book & DVD is "Pavlos, No Ordinary King" by Nikos Politis, the photo book & DVD is worth having it, I saw the DVD, all about king Paul (Pavlos) & queen Frederika, the 3 children & their descendants.

Yes, it's really rare and much discussed in "The Royal Library" section here, as are other books.

Why did Prince Paul refuse the throne after the demise of his brother King Alexander (October 1920)?

Alexander betrayed his father, King Constantine A with the politician Venizilenos, and also the Crown Prince George, in the historical context of the First World War. After Alexander's death, the politicians offered the throne to Prince Pavlos to prevent his father and brother from returning to Greece, but Prince Pavlos did not agree to betray his father and brother, he refused it.

Queen Frederica arrives in Rome in June 1973

Back
Top Bottom