King Paul I (1901-1964) and Queen Frederika (1917-1981)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
could some post a few facts about her
and what is the story
Why was she not liked by the grreks

Originally posted by Sean.~@Oct 22nd, 2003 - 3:04 am
I would highly suggest you read her autobiography. It is titled A Measure of Understanding. The book is excellent. It is, however, out of print. You may be able to get it online or at a local library, depending on where you are. There is also a biography on her husband, King Paul, titled Uncommon Crown (I think that's what it was called). The first book is better, IMO.
Sean,

Do you have an ISBN for Queen Frederika's book? It sounds like a very interesting read from a very interesting woman.

Thanks.

She sounds like a facinating woman. Her daughter looks so much like her, it's almost eerie :)

I have an ISBN of the book of Queen Frederica. I think, too, that the book is very interesting.

Königin Friederike, Erfahrungen: ISBN 3805202016

My copy is in German, but I have read it in English, too.

Thank you very much for ISBN Alexandra. I am having such a hard time finding the book, that I think the ISBN will go a long way to help.

You may also be able to find Queen Frederika's book on eBay. There is another company called Alibris which deals in out of print books such as this. Finally, there is a company called Picadilly Rare Books which deals in out of print Royal Books. Could get you the address if you need......

Thank you so much for the suggestions brian. I was having a lot of trouble finding it with the "usual" avenues like Amazon and Chapters. I will try the sources you suggested. Not quite sure about ebay though. I am not net-literate enough to know how it works or trust it!

Hey everyone how are you doing all?? I am an enormous fan of the former Greek queen, Frederika, born princess of Hannover, and I have a lot of pictures of her. But these pictures are from her time as a queen (1947-1964), but I don't have pictures of her from after this time, from 1964 until her dead in 1981. So if I hope you have some of those pictures. And do you have pictures from her while she lived in Madrid thil her dead?

I heard some stories about Queen Frederika, that she was not popular among her people and that she was hated by most of them, especially the politicians, but I never knew why. Could you please tell me why she was so inpopular? Was she really very inpopular or just hated by a small group of people. I mean, didn't she do charitable things ore something, like support invalides and ail people (for example)? And I also heard that she had a nazi-history or she was pro-(nazi)german, do you know anything about that???

O.K. and do you know anything of the role she had during the periode 1967-1973, while the Greek RF lived in exile. I heard she was involved in the politics and take over some roles of her son, trying to get beack to Greece.

And I heard something about her dead in 1981. She died in Madrid, but I heard something about poisoning. She was poisoned by former rivals from Greece, but I think this is not treu. Do you know anything about this?

Ow yeah, and were the Family Graves in Tatoi destroyed during an earthquake?

I also heard she lived in Egypt, but why and when??

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont spose ankyone knows if there are any images/pictures etc of the 'Im Comming" poster floating around the internet someplace? I have this quite amusing image in my head of what it might look like and really want to see it :blush:

She was really unpopular, except for among the vested interests. Her popularity declined after the 2nd World War, when she became Queen. This was because of her German background and because it was (rightly) perceived that she influenced her husband the King.

my parents are from greece and I have to say she was popular where they lived. (Northern Greece) She was responsible for setting up many orphanges for the kids and she is remembered for this. She also went to the Northern borders whilst the civil war broke out. That was a brave move. It's funny how people forget all this!

Originally posted by George II@Nov 24th, 2003 - 6:45 pm
And I also heard that she had a nazi-history or she was pro-(nazi)german, do you know anything about that???

Queen Friederike lived in Germany before World War II. It was something like a law, that all children must join the Hitlerjugend. Friederike was a jung girl at that time and she had to visit a few meetings. As the nazi movement became more active she was sent by her parents to a school in England to be in safety and not to have to get involved with nazi movement any more. So she was not nazi.

Is it just me or can anyone else see the Hanovarian Blood in these two ladies? I know they are not identical, but there is the Hanovarian look around the eyes.

(Left H.M. Queen Elizabeth II of GB and Right H.M. Queen Frederica of Greece)

Attachments

• Queens_01.JPG
    Queens_01.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,971
..Right Alexandra!A whole propaganda was based on weather she was a nazi or not!Very few people knew the trouth that you just said!! I thing she was in Venice for a while where she was studying art,and I thing that's where she first met her future husband PAVLOS of Greece....Am I right???

Originally posted by moody@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 9:19 pm
I thing she was in Venice for a while where she was studying art,and I thing that's where she first met her future husband PAVLOS of Greece....Am I right???
I had to look in the book that about Italia and Venice, because I had quite forgot it. :blush:.
It was not Venice, she was sent in Italy but Firenze (Florenz) and it was a American School. I don't know, what sie was studying there (and just now I don't time to read about it). At the same time Queen Helena of Rumanien was living in the neighbourhood of her school. She was a sister of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, the future King of Greece. Also her future husband. Yes, you had right, it was there they met. And she fell in love straight away.
(The had seen each other once, when she was a very young girl. And sometimes they had met here and there. Anyway, they were relatives.)

Queen frederika
the royal family 1963

Attachments

• frideriki.jpg
    frideriki.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 928
  • family1963.jpg
    family1963.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 10,459
I have just found a great website that connects booksellers from around the world and sells specifically out of print and rare books and maps. I found 18 copies of Queen Frederika's book there, but the prince range was tremendous. For those who have read it, what would you say is a reasonable price for this book?

And so I have a better understanding, what is the book about specifically? Her life story or certain parts of her life?

3 November 1953 - Vivacious Queen Frederika of Greece waves her hand in queenly gesture from her car window as she left the United Nations building after the visit she and her husband, King Paul made to the world organization today. the royal couple leave for Boston later tonight after their three day visit to New York City.

21 June 1954 - New York: Queen Frederika of Greece and her daughter, Princess Irene, make a mighty pretty picture on arrival January 21st aboard the liner United States. The Queen is holding her poodle, Topsy. The two royal ladies are here for a 17-day visit to New York and Washington.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5,749
  • 302.jpg
    302.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 564.jpg
    564.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 823
  • 5610.jpg
    5610.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,895
1.Queen Frederica,Royal prince Konstantinos of Greece,Princess Sophia of Greece{Now Queen of Spain}

2.The children of Queen Frederikie

ETA: Source Gettyimages /Mandy

Attachments

• 5freiderika.jpg
    5freiderika.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,394
  • sophia_eirini_kons.jpg
    sophia_eirini_kons.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 3,662

I wanted to buy a copy too until I saw I could get it at the NYPL at midtown unfortunnalty it was a 'refrence book so I coundn't take it out but had to stay and read it at the table :doh: . It only took me less than 2 hours and I'm not a speed reader ! She dosen't really give any "meat n potato" information very fluffy cute antidotes liek the how she didn't know she was pregnant and how the crowd at Totoi started to call out "Sofia" (they had wanted her to be called Olga) I think part of the problem was that at the time the book was written they were problems with the new incoming greek goverment . She does go on about her husband (King Paul) and her kids, Sofia was the apple of her eye and they were a close family. She also mentiond Constantine's win on the sailing event ( I get the nagging suspicion it was fixed :cry: )it was a bit odd she said he practised with a boat he got as a 18th birthday gift from the greek Navy but had no one to sail agaist so he had no idea how good (or bad) he was until he came up against the italian (no name) and suddenly tra la la won ?! She also mentioned to him at a lunch at the yacht club that she didn't want this to be a dominant event in his life and he agreed but in interviews and when he was on Larry King"about a 1/12 ago it HAS become a Major achivement and he loves to remind anybody about it I won't be surprised when the Olympics opening ceremony he will wear his medal and a t-shirt with the slogan I won and I'm a King of Greece! :cry:
Mal

If you want something a bit heavier, try "No Ordinary Crown" (IIRC, that's the title). It's the biography on Fredericka's husband, Paul I.

How did he and Sophia get along with Queen Frederika?

Well,they did fine!The royal prince was a little bit noty but everything was allright!!I am sure you 've heard something else???

Can somebody PLEASE tell me about her organised Mediterranean cruise, where the young and single princes and princesses of Europe were gathered??
I heard something like the Agamemnon cruise at the GREMB.

Last edited:
some random photos

ETA:
1. Polfoto
2. to 10. Gettyimages
Mandy/Admin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 764
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 693
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 566
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 639
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 742
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 563
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 687
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 857
Thank you, Lyonnaise for those pictures. The Greek royal family is also my favourite one.
There were three pictures I had not seen earlier, thanks for posting them.
I collect pictures of the little yonger generation as queen Friederike. That means pictures of the family of queen Anne Marie and king Konstantin.

DDD said:
Can somebody PLEASE tell me about her organised Mediterranean cruise, where the young and single princes and princesses of Europe were gathered??
I heard something like the Agamemnon cruise at the GREMB.
Agamemnon cruise ,was the beggining of the Tourism Era for Greece.Right after ,the end of it Greece was enlisted in world tourstic map as an International Touristic Destination .In plain english- this means money from air,sea,sant,also a steady project wich lasted for years,made the islanders from poor peasants millioners!!That is a personal achievment and offer of their Majesties King Pavlos and Queen Frederike to the Greek People!!

Photos Needed...

...Has anybody photos of the Greek Royal Family,(Southafrican Era??)Please post!

Back
Top Bottom