The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Commoner

The Greek Royal Family always seemed to have been much poorer and less well-housed than the other dynasties. It was part of the gwoing criticism of the 1960's that the late Queen Mother and the young King were too lavish in their style and expenditures. Given the lively irreverence and quarrelsome nature of the Greeks its a wonder the monarchy lasted as long as it did.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Gentry

Quarrelsome nature of Greeks....mmmmmm!Irreverence??About the first i totaly agree,about the second I don't.I think that irreverence is cultivated into Greeks...

Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel
Quarrelsome nature of Greeks....mmmmmm!Irreverence??About the first i totaly agree,about the second I don't.I think that irreverence is cultivated into Greeks...
The Greeks are the founders and inventors of democracy. I'm not surprised that they never really warmed up to the idea of a monarchy. Perhaps instead of the word "quarrelsome," the Greeks should be described more as "headstrong"?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Gentry

I'm sorry ChevalieurduCiel, but I did not mean to put that smiley face on your quote. I guess I'm technically handicapped.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutsy
The Greek Royal Family always seemed to have been much poorer and less well-housed than the other dynasties. It was part of the gwoing criticism of the 1960's that the late Queen Mother and the young King were too lavish in their style and expenditures. Given the lively irreverence and quarrelsome nature of the Greeks its a wonder the monarchy lasted as long as it did.
That wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.. The Greeks grew gradually disgruntled because of the queen mother's interference in politics (quite unlike QEII).
You are right, Greeks and unelected despots just don't go well together :-)
Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

Isn't it true that a politician actually slapped Queen Frederica in the face (or was it the other way around?)
Old 05-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaa
Isn't it true that a politician actually slapped Queen Frederica in the face (or was it the other way around?)
If i remember correctly it was Konstantinos Karamanlis prime minister at that time that slapped Frederica.Karamanlis did not have the best relations with the queen because she was interffering a lot with politics,she was asking constantly money etc.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaa
It was not a politician, but a common woman, during an unofficial visit of Frederika in London. This woman attempted to 'protest' this way because of her left-wing brother being kept in the prison for reasons not having to do with politics though. If I am not mistaken, she didn't manage to actually slap her.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Is there any truth in the rumours that the Greek Royal Family are basically bank-rolled by Marie-Chantal's family? I've heard this suggestion in the past and wondered if there was any basis to it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Constantine is not "bankrolled" by the Millers, but he did receive a dowry from Robert Miller when Marie-Chantal married Pavlos. The number I've heard was $30 million, but who knows.

Marie-Chantal has a trust fund worth hundreds of millions that she shares with her two sisters, so there are certainly no money worries for her or Pavlos.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It was not a politician, but a common woman, during an unofficial visit of Frederika in London. This woman attempted to 'protest' this way because of her left-wing brother being kept in the prison for reasons not having to do with politics though. If I am not mistaken, she didn't manage to actually slap her.
It was outside the Dorchester but the woman didn't manage to slap Frederika. She was hauled off by police and Frederika refused to leave London until she got an apology which the woman did give. Churchill was furious and gave Frederika a horse from The Royal Mews to make up for the incident.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
The Greeks are the founders and inventors of democracy. I'm not surprised that they never really warmed up to the idea of a monarchy. Perhaps instead of the word "quarrelsome," the Greeks should be described more as "headstrong"?
You mean Kafroi or copani????
Old 05-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
I'm sorry ChevalieurduCiel, but I did not mean to put that smiley face on your quote. I guess I'm technically handicapped.
I don't mind !Feel free to do anything,perhaps the handicapped in this forum is only me!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Constantine is not "bankrolled" by the Millers, but he did receive a dowry from Robert Miller when Marie-Chantal married Pavlos. The number I've heard was $30 million, but who knows.

Marie-Chantal has a trust fund worth hundreds of millions that she shares with her two sisters, so there are certainly no money worries for her or Pavlos.
Constantine still lives off the handouts from the rich Greeks so there's no way he got the dowry. Miller wouldn't have willingly paid it, and the Greeks wouldn't continue to support him if he had his own money. Each of the sisters has their own trust fund -- I think around 200million, though whether that's dollars or pounds, I haven't heard -- they don't share one.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona
If i remember correctly it was Konstantinos Karamanlis prime minister at that time that slapped Frederica.Karamanlis did not have the best relations with the queen because she was interffering a lot with politics,she was asking constantly money etc.
You are probably quite right, although another apocryphal version makes Konstantine the recipient of the then prime minister's wrath.

Karamanlis was very much a ladies man and a lot was said at the time about his love/hate relationship with Frederica. At the same time he was pretty much a 'man's man' who didn't take any nonsense. Needless to say, eleven years of self-exile in Paris finally made a gentleman out of him!:)
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel
You mean Kafroi or copani????
I am of the opinion that κάφροι suits them best!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Courtier

Return service

If there are still rich Greeks who support Konstantin they may expect a return service. What kind of return service is Konstantin able to give?And who belongs to such rich Greek persons?Was Konstantin good friend with Onassis?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Courtier

According to someone who knows them, they still consider him to be their king, and they see him as a friend who needs financial assistance they can easily afford to provide. I'm not sure whether Constantine was friends with Onassis, I know he was friends with Latsis, even though Latsis also gave money to the Greek government that deposed him. Onassis or one of the other shippers gave Friederike that massive sapphire she was seen wearing in some 1950s-1960s photos.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

When Princess Sofia was about to get married to Juan Carlos in 1962 and there was a great dispute between the government and the people with regard to the overwhelming dowry of 9,000,000 drachmas the palace wanted to give to her, Onassis also offered to pay it himself, so Greeks would stop arguing.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Gentry

Our King's Name's day

.......Happy Name's Day Your Majesty