The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Royal Highness

I think its fun to see the pictures of Queen Sofia! She looks very much like she does today, except with a different hairstyle.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Commoner

When I looked at some pictures of Constantin's boyhood,I thought Theodora looked like her father Constantion. Especially its cheeks.
Has Theodora been stadying Theater Art at college? Where does she
live? I think GRF should renew their official home page.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Administrator

Please discuss Theodora in the Princess Theodora thread. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here's a sweet cover of Constantine with little Alexia in 1966

HOLA 1966
Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya
I remember seeing the Queen once as a child when my father worked for Shell in Thessaloniki on ST. Demetrios day at the church of the same name.. Princess Irene was also in attendance as was her brother, the King. The two royal ladies were dressed in Amalia costumes and Queen Anne Marie was so breathtakingly beautiful I have never forgotten it. She drew a unanimous sigh of admiration from the crowds when they beheld her. Princess Irene had a calligramic figure.
Even George Papandreou was melted by the Queen's beauty and the couple's charm and had his picture taken with them.
People forget easily.
I always do find it interesting (and kindof a tale of warning to other royal ruling fams?) that despite their youth, their good looks, their charm, it apparently wasn't enough for the Greek people to vote to keep their throne!

It shows that, if anything, one rules by the wish of the people. They can take away the good life faster than one can say: 'Constantine-of-Greece'. I also don't get the impression the Greeks but for a moment have regretted their decision to get rid of a royal family they for whatever reason, didn't feel much affiliation with.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a wonderful Spanish cover from 1983, the pic was taken shortly after
Theodora's birth, when the proud parents left the hospital with their newborn baby :

Anne-Marie and Constantine with Theodora in 1983
Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

That's indeed a wonderful picture Iceflower, thanks a lot for it!
Anne-Marie has aged gracefully, if it's possible, I would say she looks even more charming now.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Courtier

I totally agree Avalon. I really think Queen Anne-Marie looks even more beautiful now than she did in her earlier days.

I love how this one issue of Hola covers the presentation of Theodora and also the first gala event of her cousin Cristina.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Nobody blamed Anne-Marie. Even among the strong "antimonarchist" in Greece Anne Marie was loved. She was very young, very fresh and innocent. How could somone blame her? Imagine, she was born into a very old royal family, daughter of a King, sister of a Quen, she become a Queen when she was only 18, and she suddenly saw herselfm chassed, running around Europe, without home. And she passed trought all that full of dignity.
Other women, come from "nothing" and become Queens, and she comes from palaces and she faced the darkness.
How life is cruel sometimes?
I concur!
In fact, no Hellene has ever uttered a bitter word about Anne-Marie. The Hellenes shall always remember fondly her candid and disarmingly captivating smile and we still care for her.
All these things discussed here about Anne-Marie never came up in the Hellenic Press and are irrelevant.
Undoubtedly, Anne-Marie boosted the popularity of King Constantine at the time. In fact, in or around 1964, the aging, then prime minister, George Papandreou, who was very fond of her, said the historic, "Χθες, ο Κωνσταντίνος και εγώ εμοιράσθημεν την Ανναν-Μαρίαν" [Last night, Constantine and I shared Anne-Marie].
The liabilities of the former royal family lie elsewhere and have already been discussed ad nauseam under the appropriate topics.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite' View Post
I concur!
In fact, in or around 1964, the aging, then prime minister, George Papandreou, who was very fond of her, said the historic, "Χθες, ο Κωνσταντίνος και εγώ εμοιράσθημεν την Ανναν-Μαρίαν" [Last night, Constantine and I shared Anne-Marie].
I don't know the history/context of this quote, so could you please explain what he meant by this?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladejesus View Post
I don't know the history/context of this quote, so could you please explain what he meant by this?
Do not get excited. The story is quite innocent.
Anne-Marie was very youthful with a disarming smile that had captivated the Greeks. Prime minister Geroge Papandreou, well in his 70s at the time (1960s), liked her very much.
He was famous as an orator and grandiloquent parliamentarian as well as for his wit. Jokingly, of course, he would often intentionally accord his spoken word a double entendre.
He would enjoy having dinner with the royal couple, with Anne-Marie sitting between him and her husband and the following morning Papandreou would say, "Last night, Constantine and I shared Anne-Marie" and he would be so happy, like a child.
And I made this reference only to stress the fact that Anne-Marie was very popular among all Hellenes, from the the prime minister down.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Here are two more covers with pics of the family:

Hola 1965

Hola 1974

It would really be interesting to see more of the second photo session
Old 10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Constantine and Anne-Marie - beautiful pic
Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Anne-Marie was a very beautiful young lady and nowadays she looks splendid.

There are great pictures on this thread, thanks for posting them.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow! She was so beautiful when she was younger (and still is). In the second photo, you can really see the resemblance between Anne-Marie and Theodora, IMO.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the 2nd picture,Iceflower!!I rarely have the chance to see Nikolaos as a kid.I almost forgot that he was blonde,too.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

What a beautiful couple and what a beautiful story. I still remember when they were married - she was so young, so was he. They had beautiful children and are now proud grandparents. May God always bless them.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

A QUESTION:
WHAT ARE COLORS THE EYES OF QUEEN ANN MARIA?
THE EYES ARE GREENS or grays. I have seen PICTURES WHERE HER EYES ARE IN GREENS BUT IN OTHERS ARE GRAYS.
QUEEN ANN MARY WAS MORE BEAUTIFULL THAN TEODORA
Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Royal Highness

Light-color eyes can change very easily.It depends on the light.
I agree with you that Anna-Maria is much more beautiful than Theodora and Alexia as well.It's strange:although she gave birth to 3 handsome sons,her daughters are rather average-looking.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has that beauty that comes from within. No matter what cards her life has dealt her she always appears serene and sweet.
For me at least she will always be the beautiful 18 year old princess who married her young king back in 1964.
BTW I believe that neither Alexia nor Theodora are average looking. They both are beautiful ladies.