The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
pilch

It's hard to believe that the Greek people could have thrown out such a charming,attractive Royal Family.
I know the issues were more than just about appearances,but surely these things could have been resolved without such drastic actions.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandra@Jun 6th, 2003 - 8:58 pm
www.corbis.com

Konstantin as Olympia winner. This is a picture I have been searching long for.
I didn't that he was there, for what did he get the medal?

Old 08-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Anja78

He had won a sailing competition there.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Anja78@Aug 12th, 2003 - 11:26 am
He had won a sailing competition there.
He won the Olympic golden medal of the Olympics in Rome!!The first Golden Olympic medal that Greek state ever won!!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Happy birthday to the Queen!

Here is one of my favourite pictures of her -- with her forever smile.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Bianca

What beautiful photos. King Connie was an adorable kid!
Old 09-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Gentry

I have a photo of a beautiful touching time when Queen Anne Marie is wearing
a Greek costume and holding the hand of Alexia-in Greece-she looks so
stunning and it is so lovely! A rare photo indeed. How do I upload it here from
CD-R at the size of 6x6 and not larger? simple steps please in instructions so
I can share.

She looks so fabulous in this, not in the usual European style of dress-this is
really a rare moment and it is one of my favorites!

Good help wanted.
Thanks,
George
Old 10-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Gentry

The Queen Of Greece At Her 18th Birthday

The Queen At Her 18th Birthday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anna1.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	19305  
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The last picture stunning vasilofron. Such regal grandeur&#33; Thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe&#39;s royal families in it.

In this picture, a young Queen Anne Marie, then still Princess Anne Marie of Denmark, on the grounds of the Danish palace.

Anne Marie looks very graceful here, I think. Such poise from a young woman.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anne_marie_a.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	19458  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Nobility

A few more pics of Konstain as child.
Christening, 1940

Christening of Prince Konstantin 1940

Year 1947
Cute children!

Polfoto
Prince Konstantin with his father, King Pavlos
About 1952

He bacame Crown Prince when his grandfather died 1946, I think. Here he is his first official "work" as crown prince in her grandpapa's funeral.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Konstantin_risti_iset_1940.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	22383   Click image for larger version

Name:	friederikehannover1917_5___Tino.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	22386   Click image for larger version

Name:	1947.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	22388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paul_Konstantin.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	22391  

Name:	Kreikka3.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	167407  
Old 01-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 5th, 2003 - 6:40 pm
Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe&#39;s royal families in it.
A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~
Old 01-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria+Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sean.~@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:08 pm
A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~
Ah&#33; Thank you for the the proper name of the book. It was a great book. [/b][/quote]
There was also another book published around the same time (late 70s) titled Royal Families of the World by Reginald Davis. It has some excellent, excellent pictures from Persopolis and the wedding of Princess Christina of Sweden. Have you seen it? I was able to get my hands on a copy from a used bookstore.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

I have a question, and maybe Sean or someone else knows the answer. Were King Frederik and Queen Ingrid happy about the marriage between Anne Marie and Constantine? I can understand if they liked her choice in a husband and all, and I don&#39;t know if they did, considering that it was basically a step up the ladder and all, but were they happy about when she got married? She was so young and all....
Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Courtier

I can't say for certainty, but allegedly there was some concern because of Anne-Marie's young age, how it would be perceived in Denmark, etc. Also, Greece and it's monarchy were not the most stable in Europe, so this too was a fear (one that materialized), as it would be with any parent who would be sending their child to a foreign country.

And Constantine wasn't a step-up. The Dansih RF was more popular, more secure, and more well off. The former's family was, after all, a cadet branch of the latter.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I&#39;ve heard some things similar to what Sean is saying, that neither King Frederik or Queen Anne Marie had particular concern about their future son in law (little did they know about his cheating ways&#33 but that they were very concerned because of Queen Anne Marie&#39;s age. Not just that she was 17 or 18, but that she might also set a precedence in Denmark at the time for individuals getting married so young.

I think this was a recent discussion on the Scandinavian Royals board, too, and someone posted that Queen Frederika was very keen on her only son marrying another royal, but that in fact she had &#39;earmarked&#39; Princess Benedikte of Denmark as the suitable princess. Little did she know that her son would be smitten with Benedikte&#39;s younger sister instead&#33;
Old 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks, Sean. Basically what I meant by the step up the ladder comment was that she was marrying a King and would become a Queen. It&#39;s a step up from marrying a prince and staying a princess.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Courtier

I believe there&#39;s only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren&#39;t entitled to the Russian throne.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jan 27th, 2004 - 6:46 pm
I believe there&#39;s only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren&#39;t entitled to the Russian throne.
There is no uncle. It&#39;s just Maria and her son. Queen Olga&#39;s line has no rights, because they don&#39;t meet the criteria. If it ever came down to it (which it won&#39;t) One could argue that Constantine kind of meets the criteria, but the head of one house can not assume the headship of another. He&#39;s either Greek or Russian. Not both.

None of Olga Constantinova&#39;s descendants, with the exception of the descendants of her daughters Alexandra Georgievna (wife of Grand Duke Pavel Alexandrovich) and Marie Georgievna, have any legitimate claim to any property in Russia. Russian Grand Duchesses received a settlement at the time of marriage. Their children gained their inheritances through their father and whatever was willed to them from other relatives. Since Olga&#39;s parents died before the revolution, one can assume that they all received their inheritances. Any legitimate claim of property belonging to the Constantinovichi would go to the descendants of Queen Olga&#39;s brothers, particularly Constantine Constantinovich, who had contracted an equal marriage. In any event, there isn&#39;t any any claim for compensation (and I doubt there ever will be), and the Russians aren&#39;t about to pay anything so it is a moot topic.

Regards,

S.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Courtier

George aka Georgios aka William never converted to Orthodoxy. Rather, he remained a lifelong member of the Lutheran Church. One can respect the traditions of another fath/denomination, attend services, etc. without converting. He did this because he did not want to offend his new subjects. Obviously he could not convert for personal reasons and refused to just go through the motions of conversion. I think this was very big of him.

As far as meeting the metropolitan is concerned, Greece was/is a religious country and the metropolitan was an important figure in society. Thus it was a part of George I's kingly duties to meet with him. The rest of the family was Orthodox.

Anyway, all of this is well documented in various royal and historical works. If you still maintain that he did convert, why not provide us with the documentated date and details of conversion and other details such as baptismal certificate?