King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 4: October 2008 - February 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time, in a kingdom by the sea, a handsome 24-year-old king married a beautiful 18-year-old princess, and the people of the kingdom rejoiced, and the king and queen lived in a golden palace in the capital, surrounded by royal gardens.

The king in this fairy tale was Constantine II of Greece. His teenage bride was Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark. But in 1967, three years after their wedding, after a coup and a failed countercoup, the young couple and their two small children were driven out of Greece, making a harrowing escape that forced the family into more than four decades of exile. In 1974, while Constantine was living in England and forbidden to speak on his own behalf, the king's subjects abolished the monarchy and stripped the royal family of its palaces, titles, property, and passports.

Now, almost 50 years after he left Greece, at a moment when the eyes of the world regard the country with pity and sorrow, when wealthy Greeks have long since stashed their money in other countries, and when young Greeks are desperately seeking ways to go anywhere else to find work, Constantine, no longer young, has chosen to move back to his native land, investing heavily in a new home for his remaining years and living as a commoner.
Read more: Why Is the King of Greece Living as a Commoner?

I also dream of monarchy in Greece.
And dream to see Nikolaos and Tatiana as kings of Greece. :wub: Despite being the heir Pavlos.

Last edited:
I also dream of monarchy in Greece.
And dream to see Nikolaos and Tatiana as kings of Greece. :wub: Despite being the heir Pavlos.

I dream to see Pavlos and Marie-Chantal as Kings of Greece, the rightful heirs!

Another fun fact JR67: The Danish great grandparents, Queen Louise and King Christian IX, were called Amama and Apapa by their children, so I prefer to think it comes from "our" side :)

I believe they would be called "Kings of the Hellenes" rather "Kings of Greece".

I think to call greek people "the Hellenes" is a rather anachronistic, outdated concept, isn´t it?

I think to call greek people "the Hellenes" is a rather anachronistic, outdated concept, isn´t it?

Maybe but Constantines title was King of the Hellenes, not King of Greece

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think that it is correct to say King of Greece and King of the Hellenes because they have historical basis .

When King George, Prince William of Denmark ,was called to reign Greece, Greece was under a protectorate of France, Britain and Russia, their DECISIONS had to be approved by these states. Greece was not a state, it was a territory protected by the three great powers.Ioannina , Thessaloníki , Crete were not of Greece, therefore, with King George, Greece was a country aspiring to be a state and extend its limits, by this motive I think that King George created the title of King of the "Hellenes". Before 1913 Greece was one state independent, no protectorate and has recovered Thessaloníki and Ioannina, Crete .... it can be said that King Constantine was King of Greece.From the moment that Greece is a state and its territory is defined, I think to sayKing of the Hellenes is like to say King of Greece.

No wartenberg7 is not. Greeks and Hellenes is the same but me i love to Hellenes.

I think that it is correct to say King of Greece and King of the Hellenes because they have historical basis .

When King George, Prince William of Denmark ,was called to reign Greece, Greece was under a protectorate of France, Britain and Russia, their DECISIONS had to be approved by these states. Greece was not a state, it was a territory protected by the three great powers.Ioannina , Thessaloníki , Crete were not of Greece, therefore, with King George, Greece was a country aspiring to be a state and extend its limits, by this motive I think that King George created the title of King of the "Hellenes". Before 1913 Greece was one state independent, no protectorate and has recovered Thessaloníki and Ioannina, Crete .... it can be said that King Constantine was King of Greece.From the moment that Greece is a state and its territory is defined, I think to sayKing of the Hellenes is like to say King of Greece.

I know little about modern Greek history, but I was under the impression that George I adopted the title of "King of the Hellenes" rather than the "King of Greece" to signify that the Greek monarchy was a popular monarchy. That was actually a common practice in many new 19th century monarchies such as Louis Philippe d'Orleans taking the title of King of the French, or Leopold I being styled King of the Belgians (title still used BTW by his sucessors today).

I do not think that in the case of George was the popularity, I think it was looking for a different purpose, which is:
An example, You think, 1863, a Greek man (a Hellene) residing in Thessaloniki, today Tessaloniki is the second most important city in Greece, but in 1863, it was not Greece, it was under the power of the Turks. Now you think, if King George was the King of the Hellenes, the greek man(hellene) who resided in Tessaloniki, his thought would be: "he is my leader, my King" , and he would say to the Turkish authorities, "I have not to obey you, because you are not my King, I am not a Turk, I am Hellene, my King is George, I have not to obey you because I'm not in your territory. You are in my territory, out! ".

In Greece the 19th century, the time of King George, most of the Hellenes lived under Turkey or were colony of other country. I think to take the title of King of the Hellenes was to encourage everyone to join and fight for freedom from these foreign powers, King George was the authority, the leader representing of the Hellenes.

It is the search of " Hellenic feeling".

Last edited:
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 4: October 2008-

HM King Constantine, the former King of the Hellenes, announces the publication of his autobiography, describing his memories of a lifetime, as well as his family's history from King George I until today.
'I feel it is my duty to convey the facts as I witnessed them', His Majesty states.
The book will be distributed via the weekly newspaper 'TO VIMA TIS KYRIAKIS', in three consecutive Sundays, starting November 22nd 2015.
http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/en/press/press-releases/568-deltio-typou-2015.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Time to close this thread! Thanks for all your contributions!
The new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom