The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Nobility

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 3: Nov 2006 - Oct 2008

Welcome to Part 3 of the King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie Current Events thread.

You will find the previous thread, covering December 2005 to November 2006 here.

The forum Rules and Guidelines apply in this thread, just as in every other.

Happy posting!

Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Anne Marie and Constantine spent the weekend with Prince Charles and Camilla and went to the traditional Sunday morning church service in Sandringham, UK, on November 26, 2006:

Anne Marie, Camilla, Constantine Camilla and Anne Marie Click here for more pics!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Greek royal family to sell heirlooms

The Greek royal family in exile, stripped of almost all of its property after a coup in 1967, is to sell silverware and other heirlooms rescued from one of its palaces in the hopes of raising at least £2 million.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ugreek130.xml
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM

How sad. I think this is a real shame.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 PM

Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.
Yeah, he's so hard up for cash that he turned down taking 7 million euros for the loss of his Greek property, instead transferring it to a nonprofit foundation?

I don't buy it for a minute.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Courtier

It would be bad PR for him to have taken the Greek money. Remember, he still seems to harbor delusions about regaining his throne.

He's obviously not got a lot of cash. Otherwise, he wouldn't be selling off the heritage that's his children's only inheritance (since he won't be handing down a throne).
Old 12-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.
According to the Greeks I've asked, he still doesn't have a place in Greece, yet, so I don't see what he could have blown any fortune on.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.
I don't think he'd ever resort to selling the jewels. That would be proof to his royal "peers" that he's destitute, and he's all about appearances.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Aristocracy

Can't believe it! It is really sad!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Gentry

Official Announcment From The Greek Royal Family

THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE OF THE GREEK ROYAL FAMILY HAS ANNOUNCED THE AUCTION THAT WILL TAKE PLACE BY CHRISTIE'S ON JANUARY.
THE ROYAL FAMILY ANNOUNCMENT HAS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT AND AS OF THE ITEMS THAT WILL BE UP FOR SALE.
THE LINK IS: http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm...ews&ItemID=201
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I tend to agree with this. If these items really held great sentimental value and he wanted to pass them on to his children/grandchildren I'm sure he could find a way to hang on to them. It's probably an auction similar to that of Pss. Margaret's family selling off some of her things. I don't believe the Greek royals (deposed) are rolling in the cash, but I don't think they are closet to destitution either.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I hope they haven't to resort to sell Anne Marie's jewels, because it would be very sad. I still remember when I read Queen Frederika biography she said that selling her tiara in the early seventies was very sad because jewels are like a second skin.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Courtier

Not the emeralds I hope! Anne-Marie always looks so stunning in them. I actually always think it's sad when the jewels are up for sale when the principal owner(s)/wearer(s) are still alive. It must feel like parting with your children to have them sold like that. Perhaps it really is a case of not wanting them any longer.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Commoner

Oh well,even if constantine didn't have a penny he is still rich in other terms.He hit the jackpot long time ago when he married anne-marie.She and the family they created worth gold.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is true that your favorite items feel like a 2nd skin, It must be awful for anyone having to part with some of their jewels, for whatever reason. Each piece normally holds a memory!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Maybe some rich donator will buy some of the things and offer them back to the family, to the kids for instance...I might be too romantic... But that is probably a thing MC's parents could discreetly do.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Ah - so the actual issue here is that the Greek Royal Family do not own the items, they are owned by someone else who's selling them.