King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 3: Nov 2006 - Oct 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a great fan of the Greek Royal Family. But I agree that if there are items that was gifts from other leaders in a public capacity then it should be returned to the Greek state.
But the Greek state have acted with so much vengeance against Constantine and Anne-Marie. Why couldn't they just have given all Private property (including Tatoi) back to them?

As the items in question are not their property they will not receive the income from it. I don't think Constantine have "many financial sources and don't need the money". There have always been rumours that Queen Ingrid of Denmark supported them. Maybe she left money in her will to her daughter and son-in-law. And if some Greek shipping tycoon have supported them, imagine how embarassing it must be to accept charity from other people because the Greek state deprived them of their private posessions.

When the Greek government was FORCED to give them the money, didn't they withdraw it from a "Disaster fund"? No wonder poor Constantine set up a charity fund with the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be the place for this post but if anyone can answer it I would be grateful. What is the family relationship of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie to Prince Philip? Is Queen Anne-Marie a closer relation than Constantine?

lord_rankin said:
This may not be the place for this post but if anyone can answer it I would be grateful. What is the family relationship of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie to Prince Philip? Is Queen Anne-Marie a closer relation than Constantine?

Prince Philip was the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece, who was the younger brother of King Constantine.
His paternal family is of Danish descent, as Prince Andrew was the grandson of King Christian IX.
Thus, Prince Philip is closely related to both King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie, however his relation with King Constantine is closer.

lord_rankin said:
Here's one way of looking at it:

King Christian IX > George I > Constantine I > Paul I > Constantine II
King Christian IX > George I > Andrew > Philip
King Christian IX > Frederik VIII > Christian X > Frederik IX > Anne-Marie

When I first saw the information about Christie's auction. I thought Constantion bought a boat CAIQUE for his wife, So he sold Hellenic
College and his heirlooms were up for sale. but not really. I am relieved. A-M's brilliant emerald and ruby, a part of the set of Romanov jewels are not for sale.

According to report Constantine has bought a sizeable piece of land on the Thessaloniki coast. (Thessaloniki is the 2nd city in Greece. It has about 400,000 population.) Is that true? Does anyone know about that?

Even if the stuff being auctioned at Christie's did belong to KC & QAM, I don't think it's so terrible that they'd be selling it. They don't have a need for it now, and probably haven't missed it very much over the last 30 years. When they have to sell the jewels, then it's a tragedy! But if KC & QAM aren't the owners, then who could it be? Who'd have access to this stuff, even 30 years ago? Why sell now?

The Greeks may have abolished the monarchy but the houses and objects moveable and immoveable belong to the royal family.
If they are auctioning off good for them.
They have remained together as a family and have family principles.
The Greek State does not really care about those homes because the mansion in PSYCHIKO on Diamantidou avenue I believe is in decay. So if it was and is a burning matter of state as they claim why not fix it?
It only becomes " burning" when the King stands to regain what is his... again...this is a weird persecution at the psychological level if nothing else.

I read Royal Homes and PalacesThread and I knew the fact that the family is looking for the house around posh quarter called Ekali.but then recently Constantion has reportedly bought a plot of land on Thessaloniki coast and plans to build a house there. Could anyone tell me if that is true? Thank you in advance.

As far as I know he bought an old house in the region called Plaka, Athens. It's near Acropolis and the Parthenon. He spent 2 millions renovating it. However, I heard that the 2-million-euros house is destined for Nikolaos.and the others will of course just stay with him unless they find another place of their own. Now, I don't know any further details so i am not able to know if these are merely rumors or actual facts.... :wacko: Let's hope Constantine comes in Greece permanently as he had wished in one of his statements. ;)

The minister of Greek culture has sent a legal document to Christies warning not to proceed to the sell because the objects belong to the Greek people and they were taken out of Tatoi palace illegaly.This legal action is believed to postpone the auction.

Here the article (originally posted at the Glittering Royal Events MB by Allison).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6289097.stm

This Greek goverment really seems terribly petty and childish. I don't understand why they want to behave in this manner to a man who wanted to dedicate his life to Greece but who was driven from his country without any reason (IMHO). These people should be ashamed of themselves!

More on the above article posted by Christinacg:

Greek king's Fabergé collection goes on sale
By Louise Jury, Arts Correspondent
Published: 20 January 2007

...More than 850 lots of property formerly belonging to King George I of the Hellenes, a Danish prince who was elected king by the Greek National Assembly in 1863, are being offered at Christie's next week.
The collection, which has been in storage for more than 30 years, offers a fascinating glimpse into the lives of 19th century royals, according to Harry Williams-Buckeley, the auctioneer's head of silver. "It really does give us an insight into their lives," he said. "It's something I think so many people are not aware of; how international they were as a family..."

The final odyssey for Greek treasures
Virginia Blackburn welcomes the chance to bid for objects that graced a royal palace
...A word of caution, however: these estimates are based on the intrinsic value of the pieces, but their regal ownership mean that some are expected to go for at least three times their estimates. After all, how often does one have the chance to buy an item that really was fit for a king?

Last edited:
Greece tries to restrain the auction of the treasures of Royal family

The auction that will take place in the Christie's gallery of London next 24 and 25 of January, of 850 objects that belonged to king Jorge I of Greece, great-grandfather of Constantino and queen Sofía, could not be carried out. The Greek minister of Culture, Georgos Vulgarakis, has sent a citation to arrive at acuerso estrajudicial with the house of auctions so that in the end he is not made. Apparently they want that one demonstrates that these “treasures” were acquired by the Greek Royal Family of legal way and that they were not removed from the country in containers without the consent of the State. In the image, a gold clock of famous Russian goldsmith Fabergé of beginnings of valued century XX in more than 300,000 euros, that part of the objects forms by which it will be bid up.

source: hola

Marengo said:
Here the article (originally posted at the Glittering Royal Events MB by Allison).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6289097.stm

This Greek goverment really seems terribly petty and childish. I don't understand why they want to behave in this manner to a man who wanted to dedicate his life to Greece but who was driven from his country without any reason (IMHO). These people should be ashamed of themselves!

Here's HM King Constantine's reply:

http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemsID=205

Btw,Liani Kaneli,the foreign affair committee member so "graciously" mentioned by the BBC,is a MP for the Greek communist party....(talking about relics..)

To clarify, these items that are being auctioned, they are the property of King Constantine right? They were removed from Tatoi in 1991 after the government allowed him to claim his property?

In 1991 and 2000 (i am confident in other times) objects of great value were stolen from the palace in Tatoi.The legal document,as exlained by the minister of culture,was sent in order to be explained how some objects which are not seen in the catalogue made by the proper authorities in 1991(when it was allowed to Konstantinos to remove some objects of his household),are in the collection to be auctioned.If their origin is by criminal act the greek state will follow all the legal procedures to acquire them back.In addition if some objects are gifts from other royal families or leaders at that time belong to the state and not the king.
It is very easy to reach Tatoi palace as it is not heavily guarded,it is located in a vast area of forest and 80% of the royal household is today at the palace.This means that getting into the palace and removing objects is not impossible.At Mon Repos palace(summer palace in Corfu) paintings of vast cultural importance today are missing,noone knows what has happened to them.

Som day i hope that King Konstantin and Queen AnneMarie are abel to bye back their home Tatoi or Mon Repos. I know it is expensive but it hope they will juse it as a futur home for them in Greece.

lord_rankin said:
To clarify, these items that are being auctioned, they are the property of King Constantine right? They were removed from Tatoi in 1991 after the government allowed him to claim his property?

There is no clear reply, from any of the sides.

King Costantin says that he is not the vendor, but everything that left Tatoi, left legally. In this case, it is his property, but why he denies being the Seller?

The Government wants to stop the sale, but they can not prove how these pieces arrived in Christies.

If these pieces left Tatoi "stolen" they have to go back to the official owner, which is King Kostantin? or the Greek State?
Headacke:bang: :bang: :bang:

Resuming
These pieces belong to a Ghost, who obtained them through another Galaxy, and nobody can prove the ownership.:ROFLMAO:

And in top of that, Liana Kanellis, a fanatic hysterical is shouting to call back objects, which, IF she had them she would have burned them, because she is against Monarchie and all the Tra la la .... she would have melt the silver thinks, and have broken the cristal in the head of the kings, ...........to show how useless it is to make similar objets.

:mad: Easy no???

Stealing Tatoi and all the palaces started immediately in 1968 when the militaries were ruling Greece.
The militaries stole household
Isolated people entered into the Palaces and did the same

It is a real miracle that objects remained there!

And Tatoi is being fully abandoned and slowly distroying........
Very very sad.

If the Greek Government was so concerned about items "of vast cultural importance" disappearing from the former Royal palaces, they could always have stationed a guard at the door. Other countries manage to protect their national treasures; is it so hard to do so in Greece?

Or is it more likely that the King and/or other members of the Royal Family were allowed to retrieve some items a few years ago, and for the own political purposes the current government is now trying to make an issue out of the auction?

Warren said:
If the Greek Government was so concerned about items "of vast cultural importance" disappearing from the former Royal palaces, they could always have stationed a guard at the door. Other countries manage to protect their national treasures; is it so hard to do so in Greece??

Absolutely correct!
They do not show any interest, nor respect. Since many years ALL goverments are behavioring, like if the Monarchy had never exist:bang:

Tatoi is a "ghost" place. Now many private organisations are trying to "do something with" I mean to restore it and to make the enormeous park, a public place. But authorities "they never heard" that it is a place called Tatoi,..........

Warren said:
Or is it more likely that the King and/or other members of the Royal Family were allowed to retrieve some items a few years ago, and for the own political purposes the current government is now trying to make an issue out of the auction?
No I do not think so. Just that nobody can say from where are this collection coming? Remember, since 1968, they are stealing. Nobody can say where passed these objects. Costantin left in hurry, they are suposed to have taken only jewelery, but imagine all the other things?
Historical clothes, uniforms, wedding dresses, laces, etc, etc...........
It is areal pitty, a shame

The palace in Tatoi is guarded by policemen but obviously that force is not enough due to the vast place.Actually it is the same goverment rulling today that allowed Konstantinos to take some of his belongings in 1991.No other goverment and under no circumstances would have allowed to take objects from Tatoi (it is the same pollitical party i mean rulling then and today).

Daytona said:
The palace in Tatoi is guarded by policemen but obviously that force is not enough due to the vast place.Actually it is the same goverment rulling today that allowed Konstantinos to take some of his belongings in 1991.No other goverment and under no circumstances would have allowed to take objects from Tatoi (it is the same pollitical party i mean rulling then and today).

For me the blame is not to have allowed him to take objects. I can not enter into a political-legal situation, about the ownership of the goods.
But I prefer by far the objects to go to him, because he respects them he has memories about them, than the objects to stay in a closen Tatoi, and to be stolen or destroyed.
Imagine your mother's wedding dress to be stolen, or to be for 40 years somewhere and to be eaten by rats, humidity and cucarrachos. For us is just a dress, for him is her mother's memory.
Unless to protect these household, and to setup a Museum - which will be never be done...... It is better to give them back to their owner "by blood"

Daytona said:
In 1991 and 2000 (i am confident in other times) objects of great value were stolen from the palace in Tatoi.
Tatoi is a ramshackle not a palace .Except for the land there is nothing there but a big house with bad architecture.Do not know about the objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom