The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Margaret's children sold off her stuff because they needed the funds to pay death duties and didn't want to use their own cash to do so. Constantine should have settled his mother's estate decades ago, so he certainly doesn't need money for that. One would hope that the 1 million pounds he supposedly receives from the Greek shipping families is enough to keep him and his brood in comfort, but apparently not.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Ah - so the actual issue here is that the Greek Royal Family do not own the items, they are owned by someone else who's selling them.
No, Constantine owns what he's flogging. According to some Greek official, they think that if he was allowed to take the from Tatoi, he must own them (the government wouldn't have let him take them, otherwise). Sentiment might make Greeks think they own the items, but the government says otherwise.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:44 PM

According to the website, Constantine doesn't own what's for sale but he's very much interested in the sale. Maybe thats not right after all. How confusing.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Well Constantine and the Greek government are saying two different things, then. How surprising. LOL
Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, from what I understand this is what the situation is;

The items for sale at Christie's once were in Tatoi at the time of King George I. They've all been checked for the monograms of King Paul, Queen Frederike, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie and none of the pieces belonged to them. They are the "chattels" of King George I, not of the Greek Government or King Constantine. They are now owned by a private collector who apparantly aquired them before 1964. They were not taken from Tatoi recently. King Constantine has said that he'll watch the sale with interest but that he doesn't own anything being sold and this is not a sale by the Greek Royal Family but by a private collector who happens to be selling items that once belonged to a member of the Greek Royal Family. So, none of the family jewels are up for sale.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Administrator

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves members should read the link provided by vasilofron at post 13: http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm...ews&ItemID=201

The link is to the Greek Royal Family website. Quotes include:

The royal family are no longer the legal owners of this collection.
The royal family was informed of this initiative by Christie's, in order to provide details regarding some objects in preparation of the sale's catalogue.
The royal family is not aware of the details of the sale .
Old 12-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Gentry

The following untruths have been reported by the DAILY TELEGRAPH (Published December 1st) in regards to the upcoming auction by Christie's of items belonging to King George I of the Hellenes, presumably without intention.

Please read the Greek Royal Family answer to this report.
http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm...ews&ItemID=202

When one is not fully aware of the correct information regarding legal and historical issues of the former Greek royal family, one can always check the official Greek royal family web site (http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr) or contact the royal family office (ath@constantine.gr) & (lon@constantine.gr).
Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves members should read the link provided by vasilofron at post 13: http://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm...ews&ItemID=201

The link is to the Greek Royal Family website. Quotes include:

The royal family are no longer the legal owners of this collection.
The royal family was informed of this initiative by Christie's, in order to provide details regarding some objects in preparation of the sale's catalogue.
The royal family is not aware of the details of the sale .
That makes more sense now. Constantine is wealthy and not ready for the poorhouse, that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Gentry

Many media insist on presenting the upcoming auction by Christie's.

Despite the facts provided in the official web site of the Greek Royal Family (www.greekroyalfamily.gr) regarding the items which were exported in 1991 and the sale of a number of these by Christie's, the following allegations are still being made

http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/index...ews&ItemID=203
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Aristocracy

In Greece,reporters and politicians claim that all those objects that were taken out of Tatoi palace were taken out night,without any publicity and not being noted by the archeological authorities(a service which deals with antiquities) so actually no one knows what was taken out.They also claim that those objects belong to the greek state because were all gifts by other leaders to the king and since the royal regime was abolished everything went to the state.In any case those heirlooms are of great historical and cultural value and should not be sold since they are linked with greece being a nation and a state.The 3 million pounds which are expected to fetch is a petty amount for Konstantinos and his family who have many financial sources and dont need the money.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Commoner

I am a great fan of the Greek Royal Family. But I agree that if there are items that was gifts from other leaders in a public capacity then it should be returned to the Greek state.
But the Greek state have acted with so much vengeance against Constantine and Anne-Marie. Why couldn't they just have given all Private property (including Tatoi) back to them?

As the items in question are not their property they will not receive the income from it. I don't think Constantine have "many financial sources and don't need the money". There have always been rumours that Queen Ingrid of Denmark supported them. Maybe she left money in her will to her daughter and son-in-law. And if some Greek shipping tycoon have supported them, imagine how embarassing it must be to accept charity from other people because the Greek state deprived them of their private posessions.

When the Greek government was FORCED to give them the money, didn't they withdraw it from a "Disaster fund"? No wonder poor Constantine set up a charity fund with the money.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

This may not be the place for this post but if anyone can answer it I would be grateful. What is the family relationship of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie to Prince Philip? Is Queen Anne-Marie a closer relation than Constantine?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_rankin
This may not be the place for this post but if anyone can answer it I would be grateful. What is the family relationship of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie to Prince Philip? Is Queen Anne-Marie a closer relation than Constantine?
Prince Philip was the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece, who was the younger brother of King Constantine.
His paternal family is of Danish descent, as Prince Andrew was the grandson of King Christian IX.
Thus, Prince Philip is closely related to both King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie, however his relation with King Constantine is closer.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_rankin
Here's one way of looking at it:

King Christian IX > George I > Constantine I > Paul I > Constantine II
King Christian IX > George I > Andrew > Philip
King Christian IX > Frederik VIII > Christian X > Frederik IX > Anne-Marie
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 AM
Commoner

When I first saw the information about Christie's auction. I thought Constantion bought a boat CAIQUE for his wife, So he sold Hellenic
College and his heirlooms were up for sale. but not really. I am relieved. A-M's brilliant emerald and ruby, a part of the set of Romanov jewels are not for sale.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Commoner

According to report Constantine has bought a sizeable piece of land on the Thessaloniki coast. (Thessaloniki is the 2nd city in Greece. It has about 400,000 population.) Is that true? Does anyone know about that?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Royal Highness

Even if the stuff being auctioned at Christie's did belong to KC & QAM, I don't think it's so terrible that they'd be selling it. They don't have a need for it now, and probably haven't missed it very much over the last 30 years. When they have to sell the jewels, then it's a tragedy! But if KC & QAM aren't the owners, then who could it be? Who'd have access to this stuff, even 30 years ago? Why sell now?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Royal Highness

The Greeks may have abolished the monarchy but the houses and objects moveable and immoveable belong to the royal family.
If they are auctioning off good for them.
They have remained together as a family and have family principles.
The Greek State does not really care about those homes because the mansion in PSYCHIKO on Diamantidou avenue I believe is in decay. So if it was and is a burning matter of state as they claim why not fix it?
It only becomes " burning" when the King stands to regain what is his... again...this is a weird persecution at the psychological level if nothing else.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Commoner

I read Royal Homes and PalacesThread and I knew the fact that the family is looking for the house around posh quarter called Ekali.but then recently Constantion has reportedly bought a plot of land on Thessaloniki coast and plans to build a house there. Could anyone tell me if that is true? Thank you in advance.