King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo

Aristocracy
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
the hello mag with trump and his new wife on the cover has an article and interview with Queen Anne-marie in it. :D

Jo said:
the hello mag with trump and his new wife on the cover has an article and interview with Queen Anne-marie in it. :D

Yes, I just bought it - I think it is last week's edition in the UK.

Nice, large photos - the same series as originally posted in Life & Style Greece, and an interview with Queen Anne-Marie, the same one as SpiffyBallerina kindly translated from Spanish in another thread.

Re. Anne-marie's Dress at Charles' and Camilla's Wedding

I don't generally understand the royal ladies' hats - they wouldn't work in a business setting. The royal ladies seem to have a hat rivalry going with hats being the twenty-first century equivalent of a tie of lace engageantes as a symbol of elevated status. But Anne-Marie's outfit with black lace top and matching trim on her jacket was delightful. Her hat fit in too. :)

Last edited:
Anne-Marie

Does anyone ever wounder if those we talk about ever read the message boards? I was just considering if perhaps Anne-Marie had read a previous discussion regarding her style of clothes, after Prince Charle's wedding in April.

The recent photographs of Anne-Marie taken at Odysseou's christening reveal a change in style for the Queen, one which was previously suggested in the earlier discussion.

Hair
Her Majesty's new hair style is the first thing I noticed, which appears to be a retro revision of her trendy and hip 1960s look when she was Europe's hottest and most fasionable Queen. Although to me it is certainly a reflection of her youthful style of the 60s, it does not appear to be dated on her and she carries it off with pure eligance. I almost want to say it makes her look younger.

Evening Dress
Anne-Marie seems to have again taken some message board members advice regarding her dress style. The evening attire she wore to the evening reception was a vast step away from the floral pattens that she usualy weares, instead adopting a modern glittery look.

Also - has she lost weight?

They formed a very nice family together.
Queen Anne-Marie was one of the most elegants Queens of ever in Europe

Attachments

• am_constantine.jpg
    am_constantine.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 795
  • am_family.jpg
    am_family.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 898
  • am_constantine2.jpg
    am_constantine2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • am_constant_charles.jpg
    am_constant_charles.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,098
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_family/85342004.htm

Royal News King Constantine Rescues Puppies

August 18, 2005, 12:45:08 Royal News: Former Greek King Constantine rescued four puppies while he was out walking in the hills above the ancient Greek capital of Nafplion.

The ex-monarch came across a dead dog, which had been poisoned, and saw it had given birth to eight puppies.

Four of them were still alive and lying nearby, so Constantine carried them back to his villa.

He plans to give the puppies to his grandchildren as gifts, according to Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

That's my King

The Best there is!!!I didn't knew he was in Greece!!!

Last edited:
HM King Constantine

Here are some pictures I took of HM King Constantine when he was in Singapore for the 117th IOC session.

Attachments

• F1010012.JPG
    F1010012.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 452
  • F1010014.JPG
    F1010014.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 408
  • F1010015.JPG
    F1010015.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 408
  • F1010016.JPG
    F1010016.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 381
Cute story about the puppies but the article seems rather vague :confused: . Was he on a personal solo trip or were others of the family there as well? I would imagine anytime Constantine is in Greece it's fairly major news but maybe he did manage to slip in under the radar.;)

Re:

I know I'm a little late but;

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOUR MAJESTIES!!

Konstantin_og_Anne-_147665f.jpg

(That's my first time posting pics so sorry if I've done it wrong!)

I think that Her Majesty looks so radiant in this photograph. Truly beautiful - I wish that there was a similar one with just Queen Anne-Marie in (No Offence to His Majesty!)

Hi everyone. King Constantine and Prince Nikolas are in Melbourne for a conference with Prince Andrew of Great Britain. I'm not sure if this article has been posted here before but I will post it anyway. I have also posted it in the British Royals section.

Article from The Advertiser, 27 September, 2005

The king, the prince and the most unlikely conversation.

Once upon a time a king and two princes proceeded to leafy Ivanhoe in faraway Melbourne and posed for photographs on a school oval. The whole unlikely scenario was played out in a clearing mist early yesterday morning amid top security and no advance warning at Ivanhoe Grammar School.

Prince Andrew and King Constantine of the Hellenes are in Melbourne for the 2005 Round Square International Conference.

Round Square is an international network of schools and for a week students and staff from 19 countries will talk about unity, tolerance and understanding. King Constantine had to flee his homeland of Greece after a military coup in 1967 and now lives in London with his son, Prince Nikolas, who is also at the conference.

King Constantine is conference chairman and Prince Andrew, in Melbourne on a private visit, is a Round Square patron.

But Grand Final footy and the Ashes cricket were the hot topics of discussion yesterday as the conference was opened.

King Constantine finally bought

A HOUSE in PATMOS island!I know its a beautiful house builded on marvellous location as far as I remember!I wish the best for the new investment!!

Re:

A HOUSE in PATMOS island!I know its a beautiful house builded on marvellous location as far as I remember!I wish the best for the new investment!!

Does this mean they'll be leaving London? I don't live that far away from them but have never seen Constantine or Anne-Marie - but I've not long been living where I am now. I still pray that I'll bump into Anne-Marie in Sainsburys!

Re:

It's only right that they should go back to Greece. But I worry for them a bit. Do they need the political wars and rows?

Above all,

Kings and Queens live with Their people!Politics are for politicians

Re:

I understand that. What I meant was, they will be the topic of political talk all over Greece - is it worth the hassle?

I know that the people want them back. The referendum to abolish the monarchy was rigged and Constantine should be welcomed back as King of Greece.

If he's leaving London, he should equally be waved off as a King. I feel proud to have had Constantine and Anne-Marie living here.

a foto of the house

Attachments

• kinghome16mq.jpg
    kinghome16mq.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 725
another foto. also the alex b miller sister message board.

Attachments

• kinghome4ax.jpg
    kinghome4ax.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 382
Remember Layla, Constantine never abdicated. He's got a perfect right to call himself a King. Just as Michael of Romania has.

Michael did abdicate -- at gunpoint, yes, but he did, and therefore he's known as Ex-King to other royal houses.

Constantine has never abdicated his throne, so, even though Greece is a republic and looks set to remain one, he can still be called King.

A king doesn't lose his right to call himself by a title because the people changed their minds. Unless he renounces, and Constantine hasn't done that, he still has the right to call himself King of the Hellenes. Once a king, always a king -- unless he renounces. Should the monarchy ever be restored -- incredibly unlikely, I know -- he would have claim to that throne unless the monarchy was restored under a different family, so your last statement may not necessarily be true.

Ignore the patriotism and focus solely on the legal side of Constantine's use of the title. That's what the reigning royal houses do.

It doesn't matter whether you'd ever welcome him or any of his, or any other family, back -- he has the legitimate claim to the monarchy that was re-instated after the Second World War. No one can take that away from him because the claim is passed down through blood. The only way he'd lose that claim was if he abdicated or renounced, and he hasn't done that.

It doesn't matter whether he was respected by his people or his government. He was still the monarch. Charles isn't respected by some of the people or most of the government and he's still the heir. The crown is more important than the head that wears it, so who Constantine is/was as a person was less important than the monarchy as an institution.

The family retains it's royal status, they just no longer reign. They're in the same boat as the other deposed royals running around Europe and Brazil -- always titled, sometimes wealthy, usually powerless.

King Constantine was effectively deposed in 1967. It is now (late) 2005. If the Greek Government and some Greek people feel threatened by his use of the title "King" 38 years after the event, I see it as a reflection of their own insecurity rather than anything else.

In any case, if it is claimed that King Constantine is an irrelevance, what does it matter what he calls himself? The fact that some people find his continued use of the title unsettling is proof that he still has some relevance. Conversely, if the Greek Government is concerned, it stands accused of worrying about irrelevancies. The republicans can't have it both ways.

My understanding of what happened in 1967 is that King Constantine attempted a coup against the generals who had deposed the democratically-elected civilian government. The King's attempt to overturn the military dictatorship failed. The King was then forced to leave the country. I can't see any abandonment in attempting to overthrow a military dictatorship.

In contrast, King Juan Carlos was lauded for protecting the nasceant Spanish democracy against an attempted fascist coup.

Last edited:
my mother is greek and I go there often, the Greeks really do not care about the royals.
Constantine is not a man like Juan Carlos is for Spain for instance, so he will never be of any use to Greece.
I also think that they the coup de grace was when Pavlos married MC, zero chance now with a wife like that, they made their bed etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE everyone forgive for my insanity today!:eek: I'm in the middle of moving and jet lag and I'm acting crazy today, I hope I don't always sound like this!:D

I will ensure that this post says what I want it to say.:D

Ok, firstly King Constantine was a young and inexperienced king. He took over with little knowledge of the job that awaited him. Add an overbearing, although loving mother and it doesn't seem any easier for him.

I would have taken a different course of action but that may have turned out even worse, it's easy to look back with 20-20 vision and knowledge of all sides and agendas.

The people are divided. Those who were deeply and direcly affected by the regime & aren't aware of the facts (will we ever know all of the facts?) are against the monarchy. Those who see the King as being a victim of circumstances sympathize with him and therefore, obviously don't blame him for the actions of the Colonel's.

I was raised to believe that the monarchy abandoned Greece, that obviously infuences the way I feel about this issue. I must admit that sympathy is coming to me a little more easily as I grow older and as I'm forced to make difficult decisions of my own, although not of the same scale, of course.

The King had a young family, a widowed mother, and his homeland was in chaos, he must have feared for their safety as much as any normal father/husband/son would.

Yes, he did stage a counter-coup which failed, in hindsight he organized the counter-coup as well as he could have considering his lack of skills and experience in politics. That he tried at all should also be remembered, also that he used all of the resources available to him. The motives of this counter-coup still confuse me though.

I don't approve of the actions taken to strip the King of his citizenship, but the property is another matter - there is still debate of what was private and what was state owned property and land. The European Courts dealt with this and the Greek government settled their end of the case. I think it should be left at that until further facts are discovered.

Yes, the King is the current head of the Glucksburg Greek RF, and if the Gluckburgs ever regain the monarchy is Greece then King Constantine would have first divs on the throne.

If the people want another family for their RF then the Glucksburgs are out by the will of the people. I know some will disagree with my opinion of who decides what family should run a country, but the Glucksburgs (led by George I) were elected to reign over Greece, and the decision could be made by the people this time and vote for or against their having a monarch (and whch family) once and for all.

To be honest I think that the Greek government would never allow a new referendum for this issue because it may destabilize their own jobs. If the facts and sympathy were factored in, the people who love the monarchy may just swing the vote in their favor and the monarchy may be restored, leaving the President and most of the Republican politicians out in the cold.

They wouldn't allow this to happen.

So, that's incompetence, inexperience, citizenship and property rights out of the way.

My problem would be that if the monarchy was restored we would have the same King as Head of State that left in the first place.
The King's actions in relation to the coup d'etat will always be in question - not just by me but the media, politicians, citizens, ect. I think that in this case (and it must be a case by case basis) we can give the family and in effect, King Constantine, a second chance at reigning over Greece.

Today's world is unstable, but it is less unstable than it used to be. The people of Greece have more independence than they previously had and they know how to keep and use that power.
They would no allow King Constantine to overstep his bounds and put Greece in any danger, even if it would be unintentionally on the King's part.

He must have learnt something after all this time, he must have gained the maturity and wisdom one needs to be a monarch in any era, not just these days.

In today's world a constitutional monarchy has little more than ceremonial power anyway, the King's signature must be on official dicuments, ect, and of course, when royalty speaks, people tend to listen.
The family would have a certain amount of power - not militarily, but something more damaging if used correctly - the media through their fame. I can't remember who said it, but this reminds me of a saying - the pen is mightier than the sword.
I think the King and his family (because of their socialite lives, if not in spite of them) would know how to use this power afforded them without jeopardizing Greece in doing so.

I believe that my opinion was very much influenced by my family's experience during the dictatorship and they are very forceful in expressing those opinions, so it's hardly any wonder that I have strong opinions too.
Studying international law, I'm studying both the current and past governments - now that includes absolute monarchies, democracy, dictatorshp, communism, and constitutional moarchies.
My opinions are changing the more I study and the more I break free of the ideas instilled during my childhood in favor of the facts as we now know them.

Even though my opinion counts for little, I must say that forgiveness, second chances and moving on doesn't mean the past mistakes - real or imagined - are forgotten, just that they are dealt with in order to focus on the future of the people and of the nation.

I, after studying the facts, must say that while I wouldn't be throwing a party and be full of joy at the occassion, I would no longer be oppsed to the restoration of the Glucksburgs as the Greek Royal Family. There must be conditions made that power given to the King is not any more than is granted to any othe reigning European monarchs and a democratic constitutional monarchy being needed and expected goes without saying.

My previous posts on this subject today were purely out of misguided anger, resentment and whatever else you want to call it that should have been directed at those who are the cause of these feelings, not those who are the closest and easiest targets for my rebellion. In a way being angry with the Greek RF is like being anfry with my family, since the RF is a constant source of argument in my family.
I'm sorry for sounding like I was crazy, but I'm sure we've all had moments of tremendous disruption and pressure in our lives and therefore, we deserve some room to make mistakes and be allowed to move on. Even though my post is about larger more wide-ranging events, understanding my moment of weakness is much like needing to understand the weaknesses of the young King of Greece.

I hope this post is a return to my usual style and that my previous posts will be disregarded as being said in a moment of confusion - rather like in the heat of an argument.

Last edited:
Layla1971 said:
I hope this post is a return to my usual style and that my previous posts will be disregarded as being said in a moment of confusion - rather like in the heat of an argument.
A welcome return to form, Layla.

:) W

family support...

recently...I have noticed that whenever the greek family has an event like christening or gathering you see the spanish family ( sofia, elena an cristina) with them most of the time to .... but Anne Marie danish family is hardly there... I think it would have been nice if the danes would come and support their greek family since the greeks are always there for the danish functions... has anyone else noticed this or am I making something out of nothing....

Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom