King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie 1: December 2002-April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
agisele said:
I find it rather surprising that Sofia would feel so insecure about her marriage, besides, if the King was really a philanderer, and i was Sofia, I'd probably just turn a blind eye. After all, divorce is a big no-no in the Catholic church, so there was no way that would happen, and she's in the ultimate position, being his wife and the mother of his children, not to mention his heir.

According to some stories I've read, Queen Sofia did actually try to leave at one point, when her children were very young. But King Juan Carlos stopped her at the airport and essentially told her that she could leave if she wanted to but that the children would have to remain in Spain as they were the Infantas and Prince of Spain. In the end Queen Sofia did not leave (obviously) for the sake of her children.

the kings and the greeks...

I want to know why the king and his family are not well liked in Greece is it because of the coup incident or are their other factors involved.... (Please be nice....)

It is nice to see that he and his family can now visit greece......

thnks
Q

[/color said:
Queens]I want to know why the king and his family are not well liked in Greece is it because of the coup incident or are their other factors involved.... (Please be nice....)

It is nice to see that he and his family can now visit Greece......

thnks

Q

There are a number of reasons why some people do not like the GRF. It is not a universal opinion of dislike and to a certain extent genuine dislike of the GRF has been exaggerated by the inclusion of Greeks who are simply content with the Republic being classed as 'anti-monarchy' as opposed to any genuine dislike to the family as people. In my personal expereince it is lack of interest in restoring the monarchy when the republic works well enough at the moment rather than being particularly anti-monarchy or anti-royal family.

The reasons 'why' those who dislike the GRF have been discussed else where in great detail on this site, however in brief...

The Greek Monarchy existed through a period of terbulant times, both internal and external. Greece faced issues that would have caused problems for any kind of Government, unfortunatly for the GRF it was the King who had to take the blame for when things went wrong. The rise and fall of popularity for the GRF have always been extream. Greeks have flocked to to show their effection when things were going well in hysterical demonstrations of love and yet have forgotten in the blink of an eye when Greece has faced problems. This is partialy due to the infancy of Modern Greek Democracy after so many years under Turkish opression. In contrast to the development of democracy in countries such as the UK, Modern Greek Democracy was new and this lead to 'weak' governments who advised the King poorly and placed the Monarchy in the position of accepting the failours of the government.

Anti-Monarchy and Anti-GRF arguments have also questioned their right to the throne due to the lack of ethnic blood. Although Prince William of Denmark was chosen as King (George) of Greece beacuse at the time the 'great powers' and the Greeks felt that no Greek had more right to be King than his fellow citizen, the GRFs lack of natural Greek bloodline has been used to discredit their claime to the throne (intrestingly there are very few monarchies whos blood line is 'ethnic').

Finaly the tomb stone was laid in 1967. King Constantine II has taken the blame for the rise of the junta. As far as the Greeks could see and hear at the time, he was in support of the Junta and then betrayed them by escaping to Rome. When the referendum was held in 1974, the Greeks quite understandably were anit-monarchy as the only information they had was the stories given to them by the Junta and Republicans (as Constantine was advised not to return). Unfortunatly the truth behind the events of the coup were not publicised for so long after the establishment of the Republic that the general population either failed to learn or simple did not care whether Constantine was innocent of or not.

Perhaps

you know ,how long this excibition will it hold???Please inform us:D

The exhibition takes place at the Benacki Museum from the 17th of March till the 24th of april.I think the museum is open on sundays as well.

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie at the wedding of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today, 8 April 2005:

Attachments

• Constantine&AM.jpg
    Constantine&AM.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 465
Bubbette said:
Hmm what was she wearing?

A proper suit and hat. What do you see in the picture? :confused:

It's not as if Anne Marie showed up for Charles and Camilla's wedding in a string bikini or some grass skirt. She wore a nice light blue suit with a lace pattern accent.

I personally think the hat looks like an upside down flower pot. Queen AM has made better fashion decisions than this one... ;)

THat was my point---it is just not a stylish outfit, and she usually looks great.

Hats usualy look like an upside down flower pot, frying pan or bowl... which is a shame beacuse it is custom to wear them and yet so often seem to detract from a womans looks as she is hidden under... a flower pot.

I actualy quite like Anne Marie's dress, and her husbands choice of tie complements the colour of her dress. I do sometimes feel that Anne Marie doesnt weare the same impacting style that she used to in the 60s and I am not keen on either her or her sisters preference to flower patterns and heavy duvet ball gowns, however she always in my opinion looks lovely and far from being a fashion carcrash

KC lookalike

I just finished watching an episode of Happy Days... and it occured to me that the father in the episode looks similar to constantine...

what do u guys think?

:cool:
Q

THere is a certain resemblance between Tom Bosley on the show and Constantine!

Splodger said:
Hats usualy look like an upside down flower pot, frying pan or bowl... which is a shame beacuse it is custom to wear them and yet so often seem to detract from a womans looks as she is hidden under... a flower pot.

I actualy quite like Anne Marie's dress, and her husbands choice of tie complements the colour of her dress. I do sometimes feel that Anne Marie doesnt weare the same impacting style that she used to in the 60s and I am not keen on either her or her sisters preference to flower patterns and heavy duvet ball gowns, however she always in my opinion looks lovely and far from being a fashion carcrash

...A Queen can turn rugs into gown!!!Queen Anne-Marie always had the best of taste,and the ability to create fashion even of the simplest dress that she wears!:D :D

I think Queen Anne-Marie looks lovely. I dont' see anything wrong with what she is wearing. It's nice to see her and King Constantine dressed up and out for a special ocassion. I personally don't think that the suit needed the extra lace around the color, but it is very nice and the color looks great on her.

No, but take a look at any of Chantal Miller's outfits--they are near the same age--that would be a start.

Bubbette said:
No, but take a look at any of Chantal Miller's outfits--they are near the same age--that would be a start.

IMO Chantel Miller looks like a prune

Smart Queen

Genevieve said:
A proper suit and hat. What do you see in the picture? :confused:
It's not as if Anne Marie showed up for Charles and Camilla's wedding in a string bikini or some grass skirt. She wore a nice light blue suit with a lace pattern accent.

And quite smart they look too!

I like the way King's tie complements the Queen's outfit.

A charming couple.

ps.. nice brooch worn by Anne-Marie.

Oh!

Splodger said:
IMO Chantel Miller looks like a prune

Now, now Splodger. Be nice.

to Queens: thanks for posting the David Frost-King Constantine-Stephen Fry interview link. Great stuff.

Doesn't the Prince of Wales have an interesting circle of friends?

Last edited:
Bubbette said:
THere is a certain resemblance between Tom Bosley on the show and Constantine!

Who is Tom Bosley??:confused:Your Boy friend???

Last edited:
Sorry fellow message boarders - after posting my "prune" message i reflected over the weekend that perhaps this was a harsh statement about Mrs Miller whom I know very little about. However IMO whilst she does where nice clothes they dont always neccesserily suit her.

talking about hats then I think the countess of Wessex hat was much worse than Anne-Maries

Splodger said:
Sorry fellow message boarders - after posting my "prune" message i reflected over the weekend that perhaps this was a harsh statement about Mrs Miller whom I know very little about. However IMO whilst she does where nice clothes they dont always neccesserily suit her.
Why don't you think they suit her? I think she's always well dressed.

Bubbette said:
Why don't you think they suit her? I think she's always well dressed.

The image I have in my head of her is one where she is waring a aqua blue suit. The skirt was to high cut and jacket showing more than a lady of her age should... hence my comment about being a prune... some might also say "mutten dressed as lamb."

However I am going to conseed that I probably have made a rash and impulsive remark in deffence of Queen Anne-Marie who even I have to admit that there is one dress - the one she wore to the christening of her son Phillipos - which really was a fashion car-crash as it made her look like a deckchair.

Anyway - Anne Marie IMO is usualy always well dressed and elegant. However as she has got older she has naturaly become more curvey and can not wear the fitted "stylish" cut suits & dresses that Chantal Miller, her sister Princess Benedict or even the impecably dressed Queen Sophia wear. However she usualy wares a style suited to her age, build and position... although i am not personaly keen on the floral pattens and duvet style ball gowns that she Margareth wear.

Hope I have settled my view point there as just personal opionion of personal taste and fashion advice (Anne-Marie - if you read this just call if you want me to go shopping with ya ;)) from a Male's perspective who knows what he likes women to and not to ware and for what it is worth is usualy telling his mother of similar age to hoist the skirt up and push the bust out for maximum effect... you probably didnt need to know that.

Genealogy.

Hi every1, I'm very interested in Genealogy, I already knew that King Costantine is related to Prince Philip of Edinburgh, as his father was Prince Andrew of Greece, while P Philip' s mum was P Alice, daughter of P Victoria of Hesse- Damstadt, who was the eldest daughter of Princess Alice, second child of Queen Victoria of UK- now, how was P Andrew of Greece related to P Victoria of Hesse- Darmstadt, P Philip' s grandmother ? hope someone can help me to understand it, as we always hear QE the II is related to King Costantine, so to the Prince Consort. thanx in advance.:) ;) :)

Family Ties

tipper said:
King Costantine is related to Prince Philip of Edinburgh, as his father was Prince Andrew of Greece, while P Philip' s mum was P Alice, daughter of P Victoria of Hesse- Damstadt, who was the eldest daughter of Princess Alice, second child of Queen Victoria of UK- now, how was P Andrew of Greece related to P Victoria of Hesse- Darmstadt, P Philip' s grandmother ?

Prince Andrew of Greece was the son of Prince William of Denmark (who became King George I of Greece).

William's sister (and Andrew's aunt) Princess Alexandra married Edward (Prince of Wales, later Edward VII), eldest son of Queen Victoria.

Edward's sister, Princess Alice, married Ludwig IV, the Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine [Hesse-Darmstadt]. Among their children was Princess Victoria.

Princess Victoria married Prince Louis of Battenberg (from another branch of the House of Hesse); they had two daughters, Alice and Louise.

Princess Louise married King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, and Princess Alice married Prince Andrew of Greece.

So, after all that, Princess Victoria of Hesse-Darmstadt was the mother-in-law of Prince Andrew of Greece, and related (distantly) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom