King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie 1: December 2002-April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polfoto 15-01-2005 Jordan's Princess Sarvath, center, wipes a tear as her husband Prince Hassan , center row right, looks on during the funeral of Luxembourg's Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte inside the Notre Dame Cathedral in Luxembourg, Saturday Jan. 15, 2005. Josephine-Charlotte died of lung cancer Monday, Jan. 10 at age 77. Seated left is Greece's former King Constantine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 415
from the opening of the new opera in Copenhagen, Jan 15 2005

ETA: Source www.colourpress.com /Mandy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 576
  • am.jpg
    am.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 568
  • am2.jpg
    am2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 728
Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say this but KC annoys me. HE is always at every event. It is sad that he has no home to be a monarch over, but it get so annoying.

KC and AM are related to a lot of royals. They are also friends to many others. So his presence is expected. I would be very upset if he didn't attend events (weddings, funerals, etc.) and he was my relative or friend. KC and AM have made the best of their situations and I respect them for this.
By the way, AM looks elegant. I love her jewelry.

Last edited:
rere said:
KC and AM are related to a lot of royals. They are also friends to many others. So his presence is expected. I would be very upset if he didn't attend events (weddings, funerals, etc.) and he was my relative or friend. KC and AM have made the best of their situations and I respect them for this.
By the way, AM looks elegant. I love her jewelry.
I agree with RERE here. Constantine is invited to all these events, not as Head of State or King, but as friends and family. There are many more people, including commoner's who have not social presidence that attend these functions as well, the reason Constantine takes a high profile is because he was the former Head of State and a known figour to report on. Emperess Farah of Iran and the Count of Paris are also often in attendence at various events. They are all invited beacuse they are either friends or family if not both of the host, irespective of their current or former positions.

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie at the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte:

Attachments

• Charlotte4.jpg
    Charlotte4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 432
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie today at the memorial service for Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, in the St. Clement Danes church in London, the United Kingdom. Picture from Getty:

Attachments

• 52123327.jpg
    52123327.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 429
GrandDuchess said:
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie today at the memorial service for Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, in the St. Clement Danes church in London, the United Kingdom. Picture from Getty:

Another picture, this time from Colour Press

Attachments

• anne-konstantin.jpg
    anne-konstantin.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 608
Queen AM is an amazing person. In the interview, she says she is complety Greek and that Greece is her country even though she still remembers where she came from (meaning Denmark). I admire such a loyalty to a country that has been less than warm to her. Queen AM said that she raised her children to be very Greek. Nik was there and affirmed this by saying that when Alexia, Pavlos and Nik were bad, they were threatened by saying that they'd go to an English style school. :p
She also mentioned that Philippos is studying international relations at Georgetown like his brother CP Pavlos and his cousin CP Felipe of Spain did years ago. Theodora is studying theater at Brown.

Is there someone who could translate the Hola! article?

Well, what I said right above was basically the gist of her interview, but I can see what I can do with a literal translation. Hopefully I can get it done by sometime tomorrow if no one else wants to do it (It's just that I've got a lot of studying to do!). :)

Please don't pressure yourself. We're not in a hurry.

Well, I did what I could. I'm still learning Spanish so please forgive any minor errors in translation- I did my best!

The interview published in HELLO.

Wife, mother and happy grandmother
2 FEBRUARY 2005
At eighteen years old she was youngest and most beautiful Queen of Europe. Today, forty years later, she is photographed with her six grandchildren and she makes an exceptional confession. Queen Anne Marie of Greece has a natural discretion bordering in timidity, which, nevertheless, does not make her distant. With a smile, Anne Maria has held her position, in spite of all the problems, and kept her family united. Daughter of Kings, granddaughter of Kings, Anne Marie was bred to be Queen. And one became Queen. Nevertheless, History deprived her of kingdom, palaces and honors, but not of her royal nobility.

THE QUEEN SPEAKS
The vicar of the Royal Court of Denmark said once, when you were small, you worried much about those to whom you were close. Has that any relation with the inauguration of the Foundation that takes your name?
Yes, I remember that he said that in my union in the Christian faith. I was then thirteen or fourteen years old. It is a faith confirmation that the protestants do to that age. My sisters and I were educated in the values of giving and of sharing. Today still I feel thus.

In fact, who had the idea of the Ana Maria Foundation?
All of us. We always wanted to create a Foundation, and the compensation of the Greek State was right the reason. (In 2003, the European Parliament adjudged to the Greek Royal Family 15 million euros in compensation for the confiscation of their goods by the Greek Government.)

Which are their objectives?
To help the people who have suffered misfortunes by natural disasters, like floods and earthquakes. We have already begun with the repairs of the damages of the school in a town in Epirus, in the North of Greece, called Thesprotiko. The mayor had requested our aid and we agreed to visit last summer. Meanwhile, and unfortunately, he died. The new local authority confirmed his interest, and when we spoke, engineering equipment was put to compile a report on the repair of two schools.

You also took care of the victims of the flood of the Kifissos river in Athens.
Effectively. My son Nicholas visited the place and made an investigation "in situ". There, the subjects are more complicated due to the responsibilities of the municipality and the State. In any case, we did not want to precipitate ourselves in our initiatives. In addition, the sum which we have to our disposition extends to a more ample public benefit. We have the flexibility to study each case and of controlling the effectiveness of the project.

Do you wish to plan an event in Athens or abroad for a cause that your Foundation is known?
We are creating a plan of collection for the Greeks that live abroad, but without events.

How did you and your husband know each other?
He had gone with his parents, back in 1959 to visit Denmark. I returned to see him in 1962 at the wedding of its sister, then Princess Sofia.

And when did you realize that he would be your future husband?
In the summer of 1962, when he went to Denmark for sailing competitions. We spent time together and at certain moment he asked to me if I would like to go with him to Greece. Of course, I said yes. We maintained, without telling our parents, because I was too young (she was sixteen years old). However, the journalists in Denmark began to suspect something and began to write. We hoped until January 1963. Then we only announced our engagement to our parents. As soon as we engaged ourselves, I began to learn the Greek language.

What was the image that you had of Greece?
It pleased me much. When I was there for the first time for the wedding of Sofia, it made an impression on me, mainly the light. I came from a country where everything is foggy. In Greece everything is shining. In my first visit I only saw beauty.

That year, you married King Constantino. What do you remember of your wedding?
No too much. It was as a dream. People were very warm and expressive.

You, had at that moment, the impression that you were popular?
Yes, I believe yes that.

What happened so that everything became upset?
History will judge what happened then.

Did the King request your opinion during his reign?
We talked of many subjects and my husband explained the situation to me, but because I was young in Greece, I preferred to listen rather than to express my opinion. I was not the indicated one to give advice.

How were your relations with Queen Federica? Did she have influence in the decision making of the King as many believed?
Our relations were very good. In addition, like family, we were related long before my wedding. She yielded all the charitable organizations to me she was presiding over, most of them, created by her herself. She informed me how they worked and she helped me to direct them. With respect to her influence, I believe that that is a created myth, and know that it was altered it very much, because it was not truth.

A TOTAL CHANGE OF LIFE
How was he affected in his personal life and his personal balance with the loss of the supreme position of the country?
We had to change our lives and begin from the beginning. Luckily, we were young. It is easier to adapt at a young age and to begin everything again. On the other hand, it was not easy absolutely, but one must accept what the life has given.

You create in the destiny?

It that must be, will be.

Was there sometimes danger in your union?
We had one to another. We were very united, and for that reason that great misfortune in our lives did not separate us. When we went to Italy in 1967, we did not think we’d be always outside [of Greece]. We thought that he would be "entreacto".

When finished that "entreacto"?
Now, when we returned.

In two years you visit Greece frequently. After thirty and five years of absence, what impressed you more?
The beauty of the country is the same. Athens has grown, the new buildings are not as beautiful as they could be and is a shame that many of the old and beautiful buildings have been demolished. Certainly, since we have been outside so many years, everything surprises like beautiful. When we returned for the first time in February of 2003 and went to the Sailing Club (Club Nautical) of the Pireo I felt just like I had felt when I visited Greece for the first time in 1962. The light, the sea, the sky was the same. I remembered what my mother-in-law always said, that the light of Athens is unique in the world.

What has changed and what it continues being the same?
Any site that I was, I saw progress, especially in the road network. Also I was specially impressed by the fertile cultures of Macedonia and the systems of irrigation. What continues being the same is the warm one, espontá – the neon and extroverted way of the Greek people.

LOOKING FOR HOME
You have announced that you looking for a house in Greece to settle down permanently there. In what phase it is the search?
We’ve seen enough houses, but still we must find the one that we want. Sometimes we hear the news of a certain house that supposedly we have acquired. I can assure that those rumors are false.

How do you see the paper in present Greece?
We will return to Greece as citizens and it will be a great pleasure to live there with my family. I want to help my country as much as it can.

Do you think about Greece like it is your native place?
One hundred percent. From the day I married, I am Greek. Certainly, I was born in Denmark, and I am not forgetful of that, but whenever I visit the towns or I see the Aegean Sea, I feel that this it is my country. And my children are the same. The last summer, when returning from Igumenitsa, they said: "Mother, in what another place can one live?"

With what principles were your children educated?
With such education our parents also gave to us: to be always honest and to worry about others.

They were centered particularly in your origin?
Without doubt. We raised our children like Greeks. Then, Nicholas, until now seated and quiet during the interview, interrupts: I remember a day in which I and my brother Pavlos, along with my sister Alexia, we were being bad and my mother said: "If you do not stop, I will send you to the English school".

You have five children and six grandchildren scattered everywhere. How does one organize a numerous family?
Fortunately, there are telephones, cars, e-mails and airplanes. I have luck, because two of my children and four grandchildren live near us in London. Alexia and Carlos, with their two daughters, live far, in the Canary islands, where Carlos works as an architect. The smaller ones are studying in the United States: Philipos: International Relations at Georgetown, and Theodora, theater, at Brown.

Which is, in you opinion, the future of the monarchic institution?
The monarchic institution will continue existing while the town wants it.

And in Greece?
That is not raised(considered?).

You have attended almost all the Olympic Games of last the thirty years due to the status of your husband as honorary member of the International Olympic Committee, what is your opinion on the Olympic Games of Athens?
It was an enormous success that, of course, I hoped. I am not one who is surprised. My husband and I went everyday to contemplate the competitions. I was very proud what my country obtained.

This one is a detail unknown by the public, but our interview is being done in Greek. Did you learn the language by love to you husband, or has innate talent for the foreign languages?
For love of Greece and my husband.

Thanks for taking the time out to translate this article for us, SpiffyBallerina! We all appreciate it.

Spiffy Ballerina,

Thank you very much for translating this article for us!:) You are a jewel!

two pictures from Gettyimages from Feb 11/05...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 628
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 487
Constantine on Charles

As one of Prince Charles' closest friends, (ex) King Constantine II of Greece was interviewed by Sir David Frost on today's edition (13/02/05) of "Breakfast with Frost" about Prince Charles' forth comming wedding to Camilla Parker-Bowles and the constitutional implications of such a marriage.

Constantine talked of his friendship with Prince Charles and the important significance of having a trusted partner and companion to which he made reference to his own marriage and wife, Queen Anne-Marie.

Please find the link below to watch this edition of Breakfast with Frost, however please note that it will ONLY be available until Sunday 20th February as it is replaced by the latest edition each week. However as soon as the transcript is published I shall post it here!

BBC: Breakfast with Frost: Sunday 13th February
(interview aprox 14mins into programme)

The ability to watch the 13/02/05 edition will expire on 20/02/05

Thanks for the link, Splodger, for sure interesting.

The interview with King Konstantin is from approx. 14.00-20.00.

From 6.00-10.00 there is discussion of the latest news paper writings on the upcoming marriage, and from 20.00-26.00 there is a discussion of the constitutional questions regarding the marriage.

Lyonnaise said:
two pictures from Gettyimages from Feb 11/05...

Even if the caption says the pic is from 11 February, doesn't the surroundings look a bit too much like it is summer.

Also, in the interview the King said he was is Paris, when he heard the news on Charles and Camilla, and today he was in Geneva.

Wonder when the pictures were really taken?

Splodger said:
As one of Prince Charles' closest friends, (ex) King Constantine II of Greece was interviewed by Sir David Frost on today's edition (13/02/05) of "Breakfast with Frost" about Prince Charles' forth comming wedding to Camilla Parker-Bowles and the constitutional implications of such a marriage.

Constantine talked of his friendship with Prince Charles and the important significance of having a trusted partner and companion to which he made reference to his own marriage and wife, Queen Anne-Marie.

Please find the link below to watch this edition of Breakfast with Frost, however please note that it will ONLY be available until Sunday 20th February as it is replaced by the latest edition each week. However as soon as the transcript is published I shall post it here!

BBC: Breakfast with Frost: Sunday 13th February
(interview aprox 14mins into programme)

The ability to watch the 13/02/05 edition will expire on 20/02/05

Here is the transcript from Constantine's interview with Sir David Frost.

BBC: Breakfast with Frost : Constantine Interview on Prince Charles

This transcript should be a perminant feature on the BBC archive. The trasncript is of the whole article Sir David made on Prince Charle's wedding and also includes other interviews.

The last thing Charles needs is a serial philanderer giving him marriage advice!

Royals have in the past married other Royals or High Society people to preserve their blood lines and form political aliances whilst behind closed doors they carry out a different private life. The difference being is that Anne-Marie keeps her mouth shut unlike Diana who didnt apreciate she was not the fairy tale marriage she thought she was having.

I must admit, I have never taken the rumours on King Konstantin's infidelity seriously. Queen Anne-Marie and King Konstantin seem like a love match, even though it is one of those royal-royal matches, which seem so old fashioned today.

Are there some sort of proof on these rumours?

Ive only ever heard the rumours. I have seen posting on message boards citing names and even illigitimate childrens names that Constantine has allegedley had. However I haven't seen actual printed stories of such things.

I really do hope that they are only rumours. Their wedding was such a fairy tale too, and they always did look (and still do) so much in love that I hope the stories are untrue. It would be nice to beleive that there Royals who remained exclusivly devoted to each other. Rumours unfortunatly start for all kinds of reasons, some to deliberatly cause damage, some beacuse someone jumped to the wrong conclusions and most often beacause the tabloid news papers and gossip collums need to stay in business and print anything.

I am sure, that like anyone else who has ever been married, that Anne-Marie and Constantine have had their ups and downs, and worked their way through difficulties. It only takes a hint that all is not well at home for romours to start that one or the other is having an affair which is causing the problem when in fact its just two people growing older in different ways and wanting different things. Why people think that Royals should have no marrital problems is obsered. They are human and their weddings, beneath all the glitter and ceromoney, are often burdened with more problems and duties we can ever imagine. Love, Duty, Honour, Faith, not just to each other but to their countries, their churches, their people, their governments etc etc.

However if Constantine did play away from home (I know BTW that there is somewhere a whole discussion on this on these forums) he certainly has conducted them at the utmost discretion otherwise we would all know about it. That would be beacuse born Royals know how to handle these situations and also accept even if they do not like. We do not know for sure beacuse Queen's like Anne-Marie, Queen Sofia etc do not blab to the press and certainly do not criticise their own families publicaly... it is something i have noted that the Duchess of York has never done... she refuses to comment or criticise the Royal Family or Prince Andrew, despite how we know she wasn't treated very well by them either. Princesses who marry Kings, do so having been trained for the job. Another danger in marrying commoners - they come from a different world of values that are not restricted and limited to the duties we expect of our Kings and Queens. Whilst adultary is not condonable, the rest of us are not expected (with a few exceptions) to marry to maintain blood lines and to provide the press with attractive consorts to plaster over their font pages.

Last edited:
I've only heard rumours and stories of his phillandering but they've always been more subtle than the rumours and stories of other royal phillanderers.

On a slightly change of track on this matter, I've heard that King Constantine himself "assisted" in the affairs of his royal friends and family members, including setting up rendezvous for Prince Charles and Camilla and King Juan Carlos with at least one of his mistresses. (Why he would do that to his own sister, I don't know.) But has anyone else heard these stories that the King helps to facilitate these affairs, if only to keep rumours at bay for these men (he can always say that he was out with a friend is the reasoning I've read) and to maintain the utmost discretion.

Ewwwwwwwww. That's gross if it's true that he set up his own brother-in-law. How cruel to his sister!

I know that Constantine is very good friends with Charles. As such a good friend, I am sure that he would have been on Charles' "side" and have helped Charles arrange to see Camilla. Whether he did this during his marriage I do not know but he certianly has helped since the divorce as of course it was Constantine's 60th Birthday Party where Camilla was first officialy seen with Charles.

As for Juan Carlos - I do not know. Again, Royal Families move in mysterious ways. I have however heard many stories to suggest that the Wales' family summer holidays in Spain with Juan Carlos & Sophia came to an end when Sophia banned Diana from comming as she was convinced she was trying to seduce Juan and that was in the late 1980s.

Easter Holiday

Does anyone know whether Constantine and Anne-Marie will be in Greece for Easter again this year?

Splodger said:
I know that Constantine is very good friends with Charles. As such a good friend, I am sure that he would have been on Charles' "side" and have helped Charles arrange to see Camilla. Whether he did this during his marriage I do not know but he certianly has helped since the divorce as of course it was Constantine's 60th Birthday Party where Camilla was first officialy seen with Charles.

As for Juan Carlos - I do not know. Again, Royal Families move in mysterious ways. I have however heard many stories to suggest that the Wales' family summer holidays in Spain with Juan Carlos & Sophia came to an end when Sophia banned Diana from comming as she was convinced she was trying to seduce Juan and that was in the late 1980s.

I find it rather surprising that Sofia would feel so insecure about her marriage, besides, if the King was really a philanderer, and i was Sofia, I'd probably just turn a blind eye. After all, divorce is a big no-no in the Catholic church, so there was no way that would happen, and she's in the ultimate position, being his wife and the mother of his children, not to mention his heir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom