The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandra@Apr 1st, 2004 - 12:19 pm
What is she doing in Boston?
I believe that she is attending school there.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 1st, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.
If she is attending school in Boston, then she isn't at Brown. Brown is in Providence, Rhode Island.

She could be attending any number of good schools in Boston, however. Such as: Boston Conservarotry, Boston Univ., Emerson College, Emmanuel College, Suffolk...to name few. There are many schools in Boston.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe M.I.T.,Tuffts,Harvard.......?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Royal Highness

I love Boston. It will be interesting to see/find out what his majesty is doing or going to do in Boston. One of my favorite cities by far.

Chanel
Old 05-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Commoner

i love this photo.beutifull anna-maria still so pretty at almost sixty.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 8:00 am
I agree. Queen Anne Marie is one of the most beautiful women in the world. She exudes class, elegance and grace in everything she does. Her smile, I think, is one of the loveliest smiles ever. Of her sisters, I think she is the prettiest one.

Unfortunate that Greece's monarchy isn't still in existence so that we could see more of this lovely Queen on a daily basis and in action. I believe she would've served Greece very well.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Courtier

I have seen that tiara many times, but I don't believe I've ever seen the emeralds light up like that!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Courtier

She's got a quiet kind of charisma to her, a very natural ease and elegance. And the emeralds make me swoon! A true royal timeless beauty. :flower:
Old 05-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

She keeps looking better and better. Who is her surgeon! http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50883629...9C30E9B9B114CE8
Old 05-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 7:00 am
Gosh !!She looks 30 maximum!!As for my King almost 33-slightly older... :flower:
Old 06-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Gentry

Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Commoner

:flower: From my late teens my saints day was 'little birthday' but the date clashes with something else so I don't keep it anymore. :(
Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by ReinaMissy@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 9:16 am
Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?
He is a wonderfull writter and one of my favored!His book "Eleni"refered to his mother and generally to wwII era (partizan war)has been republished recently and as I heard sells well in Greece...I don't know if he added some chapters more,than the old edition,of the book-I must find out....

Anyway,the question was wether greeks celebrate name day more than their birthdays...Usually women don't celebrate birthdays after their 30's,focusing more on their name days !!Anyway,Cage left Greece at a young age and during the war,so I don't know the habbits of this era.

If the name days of father's and his son or mother's and her daughter are diary close they both selebrate 'em the same day.....That is all I know!!

Do you know if this book "A Place for us "is published in Greek also??
Old 06-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Gentry

I'm not certain of that, but I'd check his official website (http://www.nickgage.com).

There are many references to the language in there; the funniest is when his older sister Olga was attempting to learn English and the teacher wanted her to say "Mary puts on her hat". The ultra-conservative Olga was horrified because the phrase "puts on" sounded almost exactly like putsa, which she couldn't bring herself to say!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Gentry

Oh my God!!He has three sisters!Did they all learned English like that??Unfortunately the book has not yet been translated into Greek......
Old 06-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Gentry

Actually he has 4 older sisters: Olga, Alexandra (called Kanta), Glykeria and Fotini. He writes that Kanta took to English very easily; Olga struggled quite a bit with it.

Eventually they all learned English
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Aristocracy

FOUR older sisters!!!He must feel either a herow or a king!Did he ever get married??Anyway as far as I know he's a hell of writter!!I only know his book Eleni,I also know that there was a film about his book...I remember Greek goverment didn't allow to shoot scenes of the film in Leas(Ioannina).so they went to Spain in an simmilar terrain..After when thw film was done,pro -communists made demonstrations out of the Cinemas!!A contre-edition after the title "The other Eleni"was written (a fiasco)....So, that is all I know
Old 06-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Gentry

Yes - to a former Presbyterian from Minnesota, just like me! (actually, my mother is from Minnesota - I'm from Michigan). She converted to the Greek Orthodox form of Christianity so there would be no problems.

I know he has written that he has three children; I did a web search and saw a picture of his now adult son Christos; it's clear that he's dad's son. They look alike!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

That photo looks about 40 years old. Is she still with him?