King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie 1: December 2002-April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these newspaper articles seems to imply (could be that I'm only reading it that way) that King Constantine has a Danish passport because his wife was born a danish princess...

But the royal house of Greece is linked to Denmark via the first king of Greece. So he doesn't have a Danish passport because he's married to Anne-Marie, but because he's part Danish. (An explanation given by the Danish court when there was spetacle in Denmark because he had a Danish diplomatic passport.) In fact the princesses & princes of Greece are also princes and princesses of Denmark.

Is there such thing as an EU passport, too? I thought I read that the members of the royal family had this passport and thus were able to travel to Greece now because they were no longer "citizens of Greece," but citizens of "Europe."

... I might be way off base on this one, however. The Danish passport thing does ring true, however.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Nov 26th, 2003 - 4:53 pm
Some of these newspaper articles seems to imply (could be that I'm only reading it that way) that King Constantine has a Danish passport because his wife was born a danish princess...

But the royal house of Greece is linked to Denmark via the first king of Greece. So he doesn't have a Danish passport because he's married to Anne-Marie, but because he's part Danish. (An explanation given by the Danish court when there was spetacle in Denmark because he had a Danish diplomatic passport.) In fact the princesses & princes of Greece are also princes and princesses of Denmark.
This came up a couple of years ago. The explanation was that they are descendants of King Christian IX. They are not Princes/ss of Denmark in their own right. The title is of Greece and Denmark (ie they can not refer to themselves as just Princes/ss of Denmark.

S

Almanach de Gotha, the secrets of the gotha, of the royal families of Europe by
Ghislaine de Diebach, Denmark is listed as: House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksbourg pp 93

discussion of morganatic marraiges: pp 96 "Her son, Prince Aage, married Countess Calvi di Bergolo, and after this morganatic marriage became Count Rosenberg. He enlisted in the Foreign Leigon and was killed in 1940."

"If the mediatised houses were deemed worthy of allying themselves to ruling famililes, the same did not apply to other familes of princes, dukes, or counts who , ins pite of tgheir fame or their antiquity, could not aspire to such an honor."

The example one: "the daughter of the prince of Croy or of the count Erbach might become empress of Austria or queen of Bavaria, but the daughter of a family as distinguished and ancient as tht of the prince of Bauffremont, or the daughter of the
duke of Marlborough, was not elegible."

Then the well known case of the future Emperor William I of Germany who loved
Princess Radziwill and he was not allowed to marry her. The old Emperior said it would be a morganatic marriage of unequils. Some courts in Europe are more
stricter than others who are more liberal.

Take Queen Victoria who allowed a morganatic marriage and allowed for the
heirs of this union to keep their place in line for the throne, while in other
nations such a union would make for heirs to be renounced the throne or
disbarred.

"Times have changed; great foreign alliances are looked upon as causes of trouble
and anxiety,and are no good." pp. 27

The other example, is of the Estgerhazys, (anyone read W magazine,
Countess Esterhazy writes her commentaries on the b ack and I have it on
good word a Princess so and so loves to read them religiously!)*
anyhow, the senior branch of Esgterhazys is not listed in the Almanac de Gotha,
but in the Taschenbuch der Grafglichen hauser, while the junior cadet branch is
listed as a mediatised in Gotha!

The writer Diebach goes on to explain the results of this strange parity,
"why the 'unequal unions" between the members of reigning families, and for better reasons, those of the sovereigns themselves, were not considered
valid from a dynastic point of view."

Morganatic marriage stems from some early sources-the high old German
root for "morgen gaben" the morning gift, what a man gives a woman he has
slept with the next morning as a parting gift.

The a la Danish style is called more danico, whereby a man can marry and
have three wives-but he has to be able to satisfy them!

as for the nation of Greece, in 1928 Gotha is listedas a Hellinic demikratica
so then one has to look for the "house name" of the originating members-
Danemark-
pp LV Table alphabetique

there are two listings--
(Sean get this noted)--

GLUCKSBIERG v DECAZES........406
GLUCKSBOURG v. HOLSTEIN...35,49,55,80
the second one is the one to look at:

Even though there is no "proper last name per se" of King Constantine-
let's just see what the 1928 Gotha has to say...

DANEMARK
(Maison de Slesvig-Holstein-Sonderbourg-Glucksbourg)
Lutherines-Chateau d'Amalienborg, Copenhague; Sorgenfri pres Lyngby, chat. de Fredensborg, Marselisborg pres d'Aarhus et Klitgaarden pres de Skagen-
Christian prince de Slesvig-Holstgein-Sonderbourg-Glucksbourg (fils du duc
Guillaume de Slevsig-Holstein-Sonderbourg-Gluksbourg, ne 4 janv 1785 +17 fevr 1831, v. maison de Holstein)fut designe comme successor du roi Frederic VII de la branche alneede la maison de Holstein-Oldenbourg, ne 6 oct 1808, +15 nov 1863,par le traite de Londresen date du 8 mai 1852 et par la loi de succession danoise du 31 juill 1853, et monta sur le trone sous le nom de Christian IX roi de
Danemark 15 nov 1863.-V. les editions de 1830, p. (15); 1848 p. 20 et 1892 ,
p. 32.-Les cadets portent suivant l'ordre de cabinet du 23 sept 1774 le nom et titre de princes ou princesses de Danemark avec la qualification d'Altesse, les fils du
roi et du prince royal avec la qualification d'Alt. Royale.

CHRISTIAN X-Charles-Frederic-Albert-Alexnadre-Guillaume roi de Danemark
et d'Islande, des Wendes et des Goths, duc de Slesvig, Hostein, Stormarn,
des Dithmarses, de Lauenbourg et d'Oldenbourg, Maj., ne a Charlottenlund 26 sept 1870, fils du roi Frederic VIII, ne a Copenhague3juin 1843, +a Hambourg 14 mai 1912 et de Louise nee Psse de Suede et Norvege, nee 31 oct 1851, m. 28 juill 1869,+20 mars 1926; succ. a son pere, gen. de l'armee sued. et de l'armee norveg., amiral hon.brit., maitre de l'O. de Elephant (here it goes on to ,list the
orders)*..."

continued--

"lets go down thelist on page 36 1 ere partie-Danemark and lets look at someone
everyone can know:
the Princess Dagmar of Denmark who married Tzar Alexander III of all the Russias, as she converted and became known as Maria Feodorovna.

FRERES ET SOEURS DU PERE

du mariage du gd-pere le roi Christian IX, ne a Gottorf 8 avril 1818, +a Copenhague 29 janv. 1906, avec Louise psse. de Hesse (-Cassel), nee a Cassel 7 sept 1817, m. a Copenhague 26 mai 1842, + au chat. de Bernstorff 29 sept 1898.

#1 Pr. Christian-Guillaume (Wilheim) - Feredinand-Adolphe-Georges, ne a Copenhauge 24 dec 1845, + a Salonique 18 mars 1913; Georges Ier
roi des Hellenes depuis le 6 juin 1863, signa un acte en vertu duquel son frere cadet et la descendance de ce dernier le precederont lui et sa descendance , dans la succession au trone en DANEMARK, 12 sept 1863, v. Grece.

#2. Psse Marie-Sophie-Frederique-DAGMAR, nee a Copenhague 26 nov 1847,
(orthod. depuis...oct. 1866). D. de l'O de St. Andre, m., sous le nom de MARIE-FEODOROVNA, a St-Petersbourg 9 nov 1866 a Alexnadre-Alexandreovitch gd-duc her.. puis Alexnadre III empereur de Russie. Maj., + 1er nov 1894 [Chat. d' Amalienborg, Copenhague, et Villa Hvidoere pres Klampenborg, Danemark).

So there you have it.

:heart:
ETA: Gettyimages picture/Mandy

Attachments

• 2722164.jpg
    2722164.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I read somewhere that King Constantine is going to be in Boston this week seeing Princess Theodora in a play. Does anybody have any further details (ie: when he is going to be in Boston, what play she is doing, etc.?)
Thanks,
C

I hadn't heard that about Boston, but I did hear that he was in Greece with Pavlos and M-C for a while.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Mar 31st, 2004 - 1:18 pm
I hadn't heard that about Boston, but I did hear that he was in Greece with Pavlos and M-C for a while.
I hve heard that, too, Fireweaver. They are there now, and I am not sure if they will be right through to Easter, or if they will return to Greece for Orthodox Easter celebrations, but they do plan on being in Greece for Easter.

I haven't heard anything about the King being in Boston, and I live in Boston. But then again, I didn't know that Princess Theodora was here in Boston either! :innocent:

Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 1st, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.
If she is attending school in Boston, then she isn't at Brown. Brown is in Providence, Rhode Island.

She could be attending any number of good schools in Boston, however. Such as: Boston Conservarotry, Boston Univ., Emerson College, Emmanuel College, Suffolk...to name few. There are many schools in Boston.

I love Boston. It will be interesting to see/find out what his majesty is doing or going to do in Boston. One of my favorite cities by far.

Chanel

i love this photo.beutifull anna-maria still so pretty at almost sixty.

Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 8:00 am
I agree. Queen Anne Marie is one of the most beautiful women in the world. She exudes class, elegance and grace in everything she does. Her smile, I think, is one of the loveliest smiles ever. Of her sisters, I think she is the prettiest one.

Unfortunate that Greece's monarchy isn't still in existence so that we could see more of this lovely Queen on a daily basis and in action. I believe she would've served Greece very well.

I have seen that tiara many times, but I don't believe I've ever seen the emeralds light up like that!

She's got a quiet kind of charisma to her, a very natural ease and elegance. And the emeralds make me swoon! A true royal timeless beauty. :flower:

Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 7:00 am
Gosh !!She looks 30 maximum!!As for my King almost 33-slightly older... :flower:

Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?

:flower: From my late teens my saints day was 'little birthday' but the date clashes with something else so I don't keep it anymore. :(

Originally posted by ReinaMissy@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 9:16 am
Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?
He is a wonderfull writter and one of my favored!His book "Eleni"refered to his mother and generally to wwII era (partizan war)has been republished recently and as I heard sells well in Greece...I don't know if he added some chapters more,than the old edition,of the book-I must find out....

Anyway,the question was wether greeks celebrate name day more than their birthdays...Usually women don't celebrate birthdays after their 30's,focusing more on their name days !!Anyway,Cage left Greece at a young age and during the war,so I don't know the habbits of this era.

If the name days of father's and his son or mother's and her daughter are diary close they both selebrate 'em the same day.....That is all I know!!

Do you know if this book "A Place for us "is published in Greek also??

I'm not certain of that, but I'd check his official website (http://www.nickgage.com).

There are many references to the language in there; the funniest is when his older sister Olga was attempting to learn English and the teacher wanted her to say "Mary puts on her hat". The ultra-conservative Olga was horrified because the phrase "puts on" sounded almost exactly like putsa, which she couldn't bring herself to say! :lol:

:wacko: Oh my God!!He has three sisters!Did they all learned English like that??Unfortunately the book has not yet been translated into Greek......

Actually he has 4 older sisters: Olga, Alexandra (called Kanta), Glykeria and Fotini. He writes that Kanta took to English very easily; Olga struggled quite a bit with it.

Eventually they all learned English ;)

FOUR older sisters!!!He must feel either a herow or a king!Did he ever get married??Anyway as far as I know he's a hell of writter!!I only know his book Eleni,I also know that there was a film about his book...I remember Greek goverment didn't allow to shoot scenes of the film in Leas(Ioannina).so they went to Spain in an simmilar terrain..After when thw film was done,pro -communists made demonstrations out of the Cinemas!!A contre-edition after the title "The other Eleni"was written (a fiasco)....So, that is all I know

Yes - to a former Presbyterian from Minnesota, just like me! (actually, my mother is from Minnesota - I'm from Michigan). She converted to the Greek Orthodox form of Christianity so there would be no problems.

I know he has written that he has three children; I did a web search and saw a picture of his now adult son Christos; it's clear that he's dad's son. They look alike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom