The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
As to them having been in love and he having wanted her I think it would have assisted the monarchy in many ways because Aliki was Greek and not foreign.Queen Anne Marie has been brilliant in her calling but she is not Greek is she?
I really doubt that their relationship (if one ever occured) was more than a fling. Let's not forget that Aliki was after all 5 years at least older that Constantine and he met her in his very early 20s. Aliki always wanted to be self sufficient and provide for herself and she even said once I think :" if someone ever told me that he was willing to offer me his love and the world I would aswer.Yes, for the love. But for the world , thanks but no thanks. I'll win it by myself" She moreover enjoyed being in the stage in more than one ways and she would be willing to stop that for anything. I don't think she ever considered marrying him in any way . Constantine marrying a Greek would have indeed changed many things but that's a different story I think

Quote:
And Aliki dear heart died as far as I am concerned of a broken heart because she did not marry her true love the King.
Aliki died of cancer I think and in more than one ways the relationship that defined her the most was that with her first husband Papamichail.
Quote:
Frederika was looking for a teutonic Bride of royal ancestry.
I read a translation of a recent Billet Bladet and there was a mention about it. It said how in Sofia's wedding all those German princesses who were invited were being "paraded"by their parents and they were looking their best in elaborate dresses and tiaras in order to impress Constantine and Frederika because it was known that she was an " old school" royal when it came to marriage and nevertheless the teenage and simple Anne Marie won him over the rest

Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

snowflower,
You are overlooking that Anne Marie simple or not was not "Greek" and that the Greeks were fed up with the other Europeans one after another taking the throne and not one monarch able to be progressive enough to marry an actual girl from the identical soil he ruled over. "Greek". The relationship with Aliki was a reality and not a fling as Aliki had a mother that looked over her very action. I think her mother[aliki's] eventually disapproved because she knew the how the palace worked with the almost contemptuous favouritism to the Danish court[as if no Greek gal was good enough] and that her daughter would have been hurt even more. The romance had promise and you forget that Aliki had roots in a patrician family; quasi nobility. But anything anybody says to defend dear Aliki goes by the wayside.Yes i know it was pancreatic cancer that she died from ; but under all that was a broken heart. And no I do not believe Papamichael was pivotal in her life as it is well known that he abused her physically after their marriage ran into stormy waters. There have always been rumours that she remained on good terms with the King in exile and when in London met with him for lunch along with the Queen.That says a lot about the King and Queen and waht wonderfully gracious people they are.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Courtier

You are right that Anne Marie was not viewed as "greek" enough and it would have been a lot better if Constantine married a Greek woman ( even in exile - his children could claim more easily a Greek nationality because no one could question a matrilineal Greek descent). But I highly doubt that Aliki had such a promising relationship with Constantine or that she could live as a Queen was supposed to live those days. Yes she was descended from her mother through a notable family (Koumoundourou) , but she didn't present much advantage for a royal bride. I mean , she was neither a rich woman nor a person of advantaged formal education and she didn't have the "virginal" profile ( mainly because she was an actress) that would be a sine qua non for Constantine's bride. Also we must not forget that she was his senior - he was born in 1940 and she was most often reported to be born in 1935 I think. That kind of things mattered those days, even for those involved in the relationship . Most important of all , I doubt that Aliki herself ever viewed him in a serious way - when they met he was the extremely young well groomed and born in the privilege Crown Prince and she a self made woman in her 25s who had face war, poverty and all kinds of struggle from an early age. It doesn't strike me as if they could form a substancial relationship. I don't think that Aliki had anything to gain from marrying Constantine other than money( and from what I gather about her , she would prefer to make her own money than marry into money) - she was a very popular figure, " the national star" of Greece, so why should she consider it? Instead she would even a bigger part of her privacy, she would be forced to act and behave and a very specific way and she would most likely face mockery from the rest of Europe's royalty. That's only my personal opinion of course.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Nobility

The truth is that she was very hard-working,she instisted a lot when she wanted something and of course she was ambitious,so all these together combined with her talent would help to succeed and make her own money.But many people strongly believe that she wanted to marry Constantine and this was the reason she bought her appartment at Stisihorou Street which is near palace in order to see him as much as possible.I was very young when Aliki died so i don't know much,only what i've read so far but it makes sence to me.I personally believe that she shouldn't have been involved with Constantine because his blood is as blue as it gets and he should marry a royal as he did.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Constantine could never have married Aliki because no prince or princess of royal blood could marry a Greek citizen. They had an affaire and it has been widely rumoured that the then Crown Prince bought the Stisihorou apartment for her, because of its proximity to the palace.
The Queen Anne Marie has been loved by most of the Greeks regardless of the fact that she was not a Greek when she married the King.
Aliki (God rest her soul) was an actress and a very ambitious one at that. Her whole life centered around her career and I am sure she knew very well that she would never become Queen in real life.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya;1077634I
think it would have assisted the monarchy in many ways because Aliki was Greek and not foreign.Queen Anne Marie has been brilliant in her calling but she is not Greek is she??
It was UNCONCEIVABLE at this time for a future King to marry Aliki!! Future Monarchs in Greece were not allowed by the Constitution to marry a Greek! The only time it happened it was for King Alexandros and Aspasia Manou, BUT the marriage was declared only morganatic, and do not forget that Aspasia Manou was coming from a very important Greek family!! having originals to Byzance and Fanar. Aliki was a simple low commoner, and in the top of that a light actress!! I think Konstantine NEVER thought about marry her, never! If he wanted we would be obliged to abdicate!

Quote:
And Aliki dear heart died as far as I am concerned of a broken heart because she did not marry her true love the King.
Aliki was not the kind of person to have a broken heart, for this kind of events. A broken ambition (to be a Queen) YES, but a broken heart, definitely not.
And Aliki's real love was Dimitris Papamichail.

Aliki was strong, hard worker, and proffessional, not sentimental at all.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Constantine could never have married Aliki because no prince or princess of royal blood could marry a Greek citizen. They had an affaire and it has been widely rumoured that the then Crown Prince bought the Stisihorou apartment for her, because of its proximity to the palace.
The Queen Anne Marie has been loved by most of the Greeks regardless of the fact that she was not a Greek when she married the King.
Aliki (God rest her soul) was an actress and a very ambitious one at that. Her whole life centered around her career and I am sure she knew very well that she would never become Queen in real life.
Agree to ALL you said.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Nobility

^me too.i fully agree with you and Odette.she was hard working,ough and sensitive only with her child.but i'll always wonder,does anyone know about this famous Stisihorou apartment if she bought it herself or if it was Constantine who bought it for her?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Nobility

I think she bought it herself.She was successful at the time. It was her home until the end of her life. When she was married in 1965, she stayed there with her husband and raised her child. Her son sold it after her death.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the reply.She was indeed succesful but i was wondering if she could afford it.It is one of the most aristocratic districts in Athens if not Europe.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastalia View Post
Thanks for the reply.She was indeed succesful but i was wondering if she could afford it.It is one of the most aristocratic districts in Athens if not Europe.

It still is and although she was very ambitious and busy enough to turn herself into the "National Star of Greece" remember what the tickets cost those days. Mortgages were unheard of and her fortunes did not justify the purchase. Perhaps it was a personal loan of sorts.