Constantine's Relationships

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there not a general understanding that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie had some turbulent years in their marriage after being forced to leave Greece?

Is there not a general understanding that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie had some turbulent years in their marriage after being forced to leave Greece?

Nigel Dempster's gossip column in the Daily Mail had a lot to say about this but even he was forced to retract a piece he wrote about Anne Marie leaving Constantine and taking the children with her in the 1970s.

It would be surprising if the marriage had not been having problems in this period as it was a very trying time for both of them, they however seem to have worked through the issues as their two younger children born in the 1980s would attest.

In response to the following post in the Louis & Tessy divorce topic:
If the couple fell out of love could they not have had an agreement to have a marriage "for show" where they keep their private lives private yet put on a public shoe of unity for the sake of image and their children. Ala King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia or Constantine and Anne-Marie...?
Is it just me or do others also consider the situations between the siblings very different?

Juan Carlos and Sofia are openly only married in name: they did not celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary -as their wasn't much to celebrate- and Juan Carlos was seen with mistresses until at least very recently.

On the other hand, Konstantinos and Anne Marie had their problems in their marriage early on but they seem to have overcome them (see for example the births of Theodora and Phillippos as WreathOfLaurels already mentioned) and seem to be a couple that is devoted to each other these days: and they DID celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with their children in Greece!

Or am I missing something?

In response to the following post in the Louis & Tessy divorce topic:

Is it just me or do others also consider the situations between the siblings very different?

Juan Carlos and Sofia are openly only married in name: they did not celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary -as their wasn't much to celebrate- and Juan Carlos was seen with mistresses until at least very recently.

On the other hand, Konstantinos and Anne Marie had their problems in their marriage early on but they seem to have overcome them (see for example the births of Theodora and Phillippos as WreathOfLaurels already mentioned) and seem to be a couple that is devoted to each other these days: and they DID celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with their children in Greece!

Or am I missing something?

They could be truly devoted to each other, or they could be devoted but live mainly separate lives, or they could be married in name only but want to keep up appearances so still come together for special occasions. They have the resources to do what they want and, unlike JC and Sofia, their lives are private except for when they choose to seek the spotlight.

They could be truly devoted to each other, or they could be devoted but live mainly separate lives, or they could be married in name only but want to keep up appearances so still come together for special occasions. They have the resources to do what they want and, unlike JC and Sofia, their lives are private except for when they choose to seek the spotlight.

Totally agree. As non-reigning royals they pretty much lead private lives, so they’re much better able to control what they put out there for public consumption. JC and Sofia do not have that luxury, not only because of their status but because of JC’s scandals

In the first, the rumor of the Crown Prince with Alice, is from 1960 and in Greece the press continued to comment on it until the photos of Prince Constantine with Princess Anne-Marie were published, which showed that he had a relationship with Princess and no Alice, by the way the photo of the Danish journalist, who discovered that he had a relationship with Princess Anne-Marie is also in the autobiography.

King Constantine says in his autobiography that he was not Alice's boyfriend, nor was he a friend, but he remembered that rumor because one day, he went to the theater to a charity gala ( which is the one in the photo in that magazine), and they approached to greet the actress, there is also Princess Sofia, the photo is cropped for rumor, the next day it was on all the covers as she was his girlfriend, he found the rumor amusing . But the press began to turn it into a whole serial ... one day a Minister from Karamanlis asked his father for an audience, his father was very worried because he thought it was due to problems with Cyprus, and when he arrived, the minister said to King Pavlos, " When is your son's wedding going to be, (the tabloid press said it was imminent)? King Paul gave a fit of laughter, King Paul had to explain to the Minister that the tabloid press said was not true, that his son, he wasn't boyfriend of Alice. King Paul said the Minister left very upset. But King It called the attention that an intelligent man (like this Minister) read the tabloid press, and believed it.
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie have lived 50 years in exile, and more than 46 years without a throne, being private persons. 40 years they have lived in London, and 7 years in Greece.
"If my wife had told me that she did not want to go live in Greece, I would not have gone to live in Greece" Greece is very relevant to King . He says it in his autobiography.

I would like that the autobiography of King was translate to english, especially the third volume, the interviews in greek of Queen , just so that you could judge after hearing or reading them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom