Grand Duchess Charlotte (1896-1985) and Felix of Bourbon-Parma (1893-1970) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shikha Pal

Courtier
City
Hyderabad
Country
India
Post pictures of Grand Duchess Charlotte in this thread. I haven't seen many pictures of her :)

My visit at the exhibition about Gr.D Charlotte, Castle of Wiltz, 3 sept.

Attachments

• SAM_0149.jpg
    SAM_0149.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 623
What was your impression of the exhibit?

I like it very much and it was interesting The most things I knew about her but also saw new pictures & stories.

few more pictures,

Attachments

• SAM_0139.jpg
    SAM_0139.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 616
  • SAM_0143.jpg
    SAM_0143.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 638
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a web site where you can view the entire exhibit?

Grand Duchess WWII Documentary.

Today on UK television (Channel Yesterday) i watched an excellent documentary on Grand Duchess Charlotte and the World War II situation of Luxembourg and the Royal Family.

"Charlotte - A Royal at War".

When I lived in Luxembourg ,my old neighbour was private teacher of GD Charlotte's Chlidren.
One day I saw a car stopping before her house and the Grand Duchess Charlotte came out. The driver was her daughter Elisabeth Duchess of Hohenberg.
I will never forget her prestance and her smile. A great Lady !

Photograph of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg & Prince Felix, 1963.

Attachments

• Photograph of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg & Prince Felix, 1963.jpg
    Photograph of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg & Prince Felix, 1963.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 406
Princess Charlotte, 1915.

Attachments

• Charlotte la que se llevó los méritos.jpg
    Charlotte la que se llevó los méritos.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 315
Abdication Day :no kiss for the new Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte.

Abdication Day :no kiss for the new Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte.
Didn't they get along?

I've read somewhere that Charlotte was very supportive of Maria-Theresa when she married Henri.?

Absolutely not. The old Grand-Duchess considered the marriage of her grandson Henri a mésalliance and boycotted part of the wedding with a cold as excuse. When you see the partners of her sisters, children and other grandchildren it was an unusual wedding indeed.

She herself married a Prince de Bourbon de Parme. Her siblings married a Duke von Baden, a Fürst zu Schwarzenberg, a Crown Prince of Bavaria, a Prince von Thurn und Taxis, a Prince von Sachsen. Her children married a Princess of Belgium, a Duke von Hohenberg, a Count Henckel von Donnersmarck, a Lensgreve Holstein til Ledreborg, a Prince de Ligne. Only her youngest son married a non noble, Joan Douglas-Dillon, later re-married a Duc de Noailles.

For the future Grand-Duke the expectation was that he would choose a partner befitting his rank and position. It is claimed that when Grand-Duchess Charlotte was besotted with her great grandson Guillaume, that she became closer to María Teresa.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. The old Grand-Duchess considered the marriage of her grandson Henri a mésalliance and boycotted part of the wedding with a cold as excuse. When you see the partners of her sisters, children and other grandchildren it was an unusual wedding indeed.
It is claimed that when Grand-Duchess Charlotte was besotted with her great grandson Guillaume, that she became closer to María Teresa.
Well then old Charlotte would be pleased with the spouse of said great-grandson. Although a De Lannoy might've been considered a mesalliance before WWI today it's definitely not so.

Yes, and of her children's marriages only Jean's to Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium would have been acceptable before World War I.

A Duke von Hohenberg (morganatic Habsburg), a Count Henckel von Donnersmarck, a Lensgreve Holstein til Ledreborg, a Prince de Ligne, and Miss Joan Douglas Dillon would never have passed muster.

So, stickler that she was for suitable marriage partners, even Charlotte loosened the restrictions somewhat.

There'd be a lot of unmarried royals running around in this day and age if they had to stay to the standards pre-war. Half the royal houses are no-more...although perhaps that's not a factor.

LaRae

There'd be a lot of unmarried royals running around in this day and age if they had to stay to the standards pre-war. Half the royal houses are no-more...although perhaps that's not a factor.

LaRae
They might not be reigning but the families are still there. Many of them had not really reigned for half a century or more by the time of WWI. Someone wrote or talked about the need for the German princelings and mediatized houses as royal stud farms which, crude as the expression was, is basically true.
The concept of ebenburtigeit depended on a plethora of suitable families available to produce marriage material for the monarchies of Europe and Brazil.

Last edited:
Yes, and of her children's marriages only Jean's to Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium would have been acceptable before World War I.

A Duke von Hohenberg (morganatic Habsburg), a Count Henckel von Donnersmarck, a Lensgreve Holstein til Ledreborg, a Prince de Ligne, and Miss Joan Douglas Dillon would never have passed muster.

So, stickler that she was for suitable marriage partners, even Charlotte loosened the restrictions somewhat.

Joan Dillon married Prince Charles two years after the abdication of Grand Duchess Charlotte, so it was Grand Duke Jean who accepted that marriage.

Grand Duchess Charlote was delighted with Marie Astrid 's Wedding with an Archuke of Habsbourg. She was sitting next to Empress Zita , her sister in law.

She was absolutely against Hed Grand Duke' Henris Wedding and did not attend at all.

Grand Duchess Charlote was delighted with Marie Astrid 's Wedding with an Archuke of Habsbourg. She was sitting next to Empress Zita , her sister in law.

She was absolutely against Hed Grand Duke' Henris Wedding and did not attend at all.

While she was very unhappy with Henri's marriage to Maria Teresa, she did attend, but asked not to be photographed, because she was so despondent that Henri had married a commoner. There is a picture of Charlotte in the church that came out in one of the magazines and she looks besides herself.

Yes, she was very happy with Marie Astrid's marriage to a Hapburg!

Well then old Charlotte would be pleased with the spouse of said great-grandson. Although a De Lannoy might've been considered a mesalliance before WWI today it's definitely not so.

Yes, definitely! It would have been considered a mesalliance, but by today's standards, it's a wonderful alliance. Guillaume is the only heir in the last few decades who has married a noble. All others that I can think of [with the exception of Guillaume's cousin, Phillip, the present king of Belgium], has married a commoner.

That said, Stephanie's family tree is so old and prestigious and dotted with princesses [even her paternal grandmother is a Princess of Ligne] that I wonder if even the extremely demanding Charlotte wouldn't have been happy?

While she was very unhappy with Henri's marriage to Maria Teresa, she did attend, but asked not to be photographed, because she was so despondent that Henri had married a commoner. There is a picture of Charlotte in the church that came out in one of the magazines and she looks besides herself.

She was also included in the offical Group pics.

Yes, definitely! It would have been considered a mesalliance, but by today's standards, it's a wonderful alliance. Guillaume is the only heir in the last few decades who has married a noble. All others that I can think of [with the exception of Guillaume's cousin, Phillip, the present king of Belgium], has married a commoner.

And the Irony is that after 6 years of marriage there is still no heir. Lets hope there will be soon one.
Another heir who even married a lady from higher rank is Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein.

Last edited:

I thought marriages to nobles and even royalty remained common in many of the Middle Eastern royal families.

Video:

Mod note: the video shows the funeral of Prince Felix of Luxembourg & Bourbon-Parma.

Video:

Mod note: the video shows the funeral of Prince Felix of Luxembourg & Bourbon-Parma.

Did Grand Duchess Charlotte attend Prince Felix's funeral? There's no sign of her in the video.

Did Grand Duchess Charlotte attend Prince Felix's funeral? There's no sign of her in the video.

I think she only did not take part in the funeral procession and waited in the Cathedral.

Back
Top Bottom