Funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte: January 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, she was.

I know that QEII is the greatest monarch in the world, but does that mean that she has to miss the other activities of other RF's? It can get so annoying sometimes. I wish she woudl consider participating in the other activities. It would not hurt, but I can understand though. But one or two more activities with other RF's woudl not hurt.

Reina said:
I know that QEII is the greatest monarch in the world, but does that mean that she has to miss the other activities of other RF's? It can get so annoying sometimes. I wish she woudl consider participating in the other activities. It would not hurt, but I can understand though. But one or two more activities with other RF's woudl not hurt.
She isn't the greatest monarch in the world. She is in no way superior to any other monarch although the English think she is. You will find that the other monarchs are far more popular in thier respective countries than Elizabeth is in hers.

Sorry, but she is the greatest monarch all over the world. No other compares to her or the institution of the Birtish monarchy. WHy do you think that she does not have to go to other royals event, but then the other royals always go to her events and are in top fashion. It is b/c she is the greatest monarch and she is a model and is to be looked up to. She is in a totally different sphere than other monarchs. Now I am not downcasting the other monarchs and their families. But when I thnk of the greatest I think of Her Majesty Queen ELizabeth II and the British Royal Family and institution.

Reina said:
Sorry, but she is the greatest monarch all over the world. No other compares to her or the institution of the Birtish monarchy. WHy do you think that she does not have to go to other royals event, but then the other royals always go to her events and are in top fashion. It is b/c she is the greatest monarch and she is a model and is to be looked up to. She is in a totally different sphere than other monarchs. Now I am not downcasting the other monarchs and their families. But when I thnk of the greatest I think of Her Majesty Queen ELizabeth II and the British Royal Family and institution.
King Juan Carlos and King Harald were also not present, and Harald is a direct cousin of the late Grand Duchess. Every country and every person presumably has their own reasons and own protocol. I can only ever remember Queen Elizabeth going to one funeral abroad, that of King Bauduoin.

Exactly, the king of Spain miss a lot of thinks to. And QEII have problemes in her baks and needs, she just leave one have to be.

shelley said:
King Juan Carlos and King Harald were also not present, and Harald is a direct cousin of the late Grand Duchess. Every country and every person presumably has their own reasons and own protocol. I can only ever remember Queen Elizabeth going to one funeral abroad, that of King Bauduoin.

Could it be that the protocol be that the Queen attends the funeral of a monarch not the spouse of a monarch and that is why she attended the funeral of King Bauduoin?

Ennyllorac said:
Could it be that the protocol be that the Queen attends the funeral of a monarch not the spouse of a monarch and that is why she attended the funeral of King Bauduoin?
I'm not sure what the "protocol" is exactly but I don't think it's the case of Queen Elizabeth only attending the funeral of monarchs and not their spouses. In recent years, QEII didn't attend Queen Juliana of the Netherland's funeral nor did she attend King Hussein of Jordan's funeral, and both were long-reigning monarchs of their respective nations. Prince Phillip and Prince Charles attended these funerals in her place.

In the case of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte however, she was born a royal. While she married a royal, she was also born one and related to the Swedish and Belgian royals by birth -- about as royal as one can get.

Alexandria said:
I'm not sure what the "protocol" is exactly but I don't think it's the case of Queen Elizabeth only attending the funeral of monarchs and not their spouses. In recent years, QEII didn't attend Queen Juliana of the Netherland's funeral nor did she attend King Hussein of Jordan's funeral, and both were long-reigning monarchs of their respective nations. Prince Phillip and Prince Charles attended these funerals in her place.

In the case of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte however, she was born a royal. While she married a royal, she was also born one and related to the Swedish and Belgian royals by birth -- about as royal as one can get.

Thanks Aleandria, does anyone know the reason why she doesn't attend?

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
I saw this earlier on the forum, but what is arthrosis?
I think that was "arthritis" - Inflammation of the joints

Reina said:
I know that QEII is the greatest monarch in the world,
I think that is a matter of opinion :p I don't think she is the greatest monarch in the world.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I think that was "arthritis" - Inflammation of the joints
Does one of the Luxembourg Royals have arthritis? who is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthrosis is the scientific term for a joint. Arthritis is the inflammation of a joint. I know I must sound pretty anal-retentive pointing that out, but I'm just horribly, annoyingly knit-picky.

hillary_nugent said:
Does one of the Luxembourg Royals have arthritis? who is it?
grand duke jean, which explains the cane he was using to support himself with.

Queen sofia attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte on saturday:

Attachments

• BeatrixSofia.jpg
    BeatrixSofia.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Charlotte2.jpg
    Charlotte2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 445
  • Sofia.jpg
    Sofia.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 464
Presence/Absence of Hélène Vestur at the funeral

I have seen no pic of Helène Vestur (spouse of Prince Jean - twin of Margareta) . Was she not attending the funeral I remember that Josephine Charlotte didn't agree with the marraige and that Jean had to renounce his rights to wed her. Does anyone know if she was there ?

assia said:
I have seen no pic of Helène Vestur (spouse of Prince Jean - twin of Margareta) . Was she not attending the funeral I remember that Josephine Charlotte didn't agree with the marraige and that Jean had to renounce his rights to wed her. Does anyone know if she was there ?
I'm fairly certain that she and Jean are either seperated or have quietly divorced. They haven't been seen together in public in a very long time, and he has been seen about town with another woman.
Lollies!
-Kara-

suturegeisha said:
I'm fairly certain that she and Jean are either seperated or have quietly divorced. They haven't been seen together in public in a very long time, and he has been seen about town with another woman.
Lollies!
-Kara-
Yes I remarked this too! I have heard something of a divorce. By the way I have not seen much pictures of Helene Vestur.;)

I just want to add something which shocked me today. While the newspapers Luxemburger Wort and Tageblatt wrote respectful texts and pictures, the republican newspaper Le Quotidien showed a large picture on the first page with a crying Grand Duke and the text: "Grand Duke Jean was an isolated old man during the ceremony, very marked and in tears." :mad:

The Luxemburger Wort showed much more respect and wrote in its reports about the funeral: "Visibely touched: Grand Duke Jean during the requiem." or "Together in grief: Grand Duke Jean, Grand Duke Henri and Maria Teresa":)

But what shocked me more was the statement of Le Quotidien that the young people in Luxembourg weren't interesting at all at the funeral! This is a wrong cliché because I was very sad during the funeral ceremony I watched live on TV and certainly many young people in my country and in other countries too!
Certainly the reporters of Le Quotidien didn't dare a view on this forum yet because than they would have seen what great photo tribute and respect young people gave to a 77 year old Grand Duchess!;)

Gosh what a waste to give up your title to marry someone only to get a divorce. I hope his new woman is a commoner too.

Reina said:
Gosh what a waste to give up your title to marry someone only to get a divorce. I hope his new woman is a commoner too.
Well, she was pregnant out of marrige and they were probably in love.

It'a disgusting for a republican newspaper to twist pictures of a deeply sad event to their own advantage. :mad: You should write "Le Quotidien" a letter, drimal, and tell them to visit the forums. :) Then they'll see how much young people care!!!

Iain said:
As usual, Queen Elizabeth was conspicuos by her absence.
Perhaps Sean.~ can confirm this .... I imagine the illustrious past that England has, means that the Regent can't 'stoop' to attend the funeral of one of Europe's smallest countries.

I think there is a very convoluted order of precedence that QE2 has to follow for the correct amount of honour to have been perceived to be bestowed with her presence.

Naturally with Beatrix and Margrethe, more practicality enters the picture. That is, order of precedence is thrown away.

shelley said:
I can only ever remember Queen Elizabeth going to one funeral abroad, that of King Bauduoin.
which brings me to my second point with QE2 ... it seems she only attends when a reigning monarch is struck down. With all due respect, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was in retirement, and consort to the Grand Duke.

shelley said:
King Juan Carlos and King Harald were also not present.
I think King Juan Carlos's absence at this and a number of past events is an indication of the "power" that he holds, that he can pass those (shall we say slightly onerous) duties off on others in his household.

King Harald's absence is in a way similar to Juan Carlos ... hence an indication of power that he can set his own schedule, and perhaps also dictated in a way by a small pocketbook.

I'm not arguing with ya, hrhcp, but re:King Harald's absence-
it was my understanding that he was attending a remembrance service for the tsunami victims in Norway on Saturday, and for him to suddenly cancel would have caused a huge uproar. It was easier to have Queen Sonja go; she would not be as missed at the services as he would have.
I really don't think that's right of him at all- for goodness sakes, JC was his first cousin [her mother Astrid and his mother Martha were sisters, everyone :)]!!!! Plus, she was a [former] head of state!

Oh yes, and thank you for the video link, Reina! I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has! ;)
Lollies!
-Kara-

suturegeisha said:
I finally got to hear Guillaume talk. What a lovely voice he has! ;)
Wow that's so cool ^__^ what did he ssound like? deep? squeaky? husky? :p

hillary_nugent said:
Wow that's so cool ^__^ what did he ssound like? deep? squeaky? husky? :p
suprisingly so, his voice didn't really match his age. it could've been from the mic b/c i sound different when i use one- the pitch goes up. overall, i like his voice b/c it sounds soooo sweet and adds even more sweetness to his personality. so i'd say he has an average sounding early 20-something's voice and he seems to be the soft-spoken and shy type b/c of the pitch. but who knows b/c i've never heard him in person. perhaps someday...:D

aw...that's cool ^___^ by the way did JC choose to be cremated or is it a tradition of the royal family?

Back
Top Bottom