Counts of Luxembourg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
I was looking at the history of Luxembourg, and I noticed that in earlier times, the country/area was ruled by the counts of Luxembourg. Royalty.nu's article on Luxembourg mentions something about it being "elevated" from a county to a duchy. Does anyone know the story behind this - or more about the early rulers? :flowers:

The Counts of Luxembourg were a reknown family of the medieval nobility. Emperor Charles IV. of the Holy Roman Empire was one of the Counts of Luxembourg and in 1354 he elevated the county to a dukedom for his brother Wenzel, who had inherited Luxembourg. Wenzel was childless, so Charles IV. set him up to adopt his son and heir Wenzel as heir to Luxembourg. But nephew Wenzel was childless, too, and had struggled for much of his life with his brother Sigismund for the crown of the Holy Roman Empire. So on his death, he willed Luxembourg to his younger brother John and his heirs. Not that it helped John, as Sigismund controlled Luxembourg.

In 1437 the last Count/Duke of Luxembourg (and king of Bohemia and Hungary), Emperor Sigismund of the Holy Roman Empire died without a male heir and left his lands to his daughter princess Elisabeth of Bohemia and Hungary, the wife of Albrecht, duke of Austria. Thus Luxembourg became part of the Habsburg-lands with Albrecht becoming Roman-German king in 1438.

But that was quite short-lived. Sigismund's brother John, duke of Görlitz had left the claim to Luxembourg to his only child, duchess Elisabeth of Görlitz and Luxembourg. The duchess married twice, first to Anthony of Burgundy, duke of Brabant and second to John of Bavaria, count of Zeeland and Hainault who owned a large part of the Netherlands.
As she was childless herself, she contracted an inheritance treaty with her nephew by marriage Philip the Good duke of Burgundy, who took Luxembourg in 1443 after paying the duchess a large sum for her claim, so the duchy of Luxembourg became part of Burgundy. Two generations later the heiress Maria of Burgundy brought Luxembourg and the other parts of Burgundy (including the Netherlands) to her husband, later Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian of Habsburg in 1477.

In 1555 Luxembourg went to the Spanish line of the Habsburgs, was involved in several inheritance wars and became part of the Austrian Habsburg-lands in 1713. Napoleon annected Luxemburg for France, but in 1815, at the Congress of Vienna, Luxembourg was elevated to a Grand-Duchy and given together with the Crown of the newly formed Kingdom of the Netherlands to the former Prince of Orange, who had fought successfully against Napoleon. The difference was that while the Netherlands still retained their former structure of the Nassau-Orange as "firsts among equals", Luxembourg was considered the private property of the king of the Netherlands. But different to the Netherlands, Luxembourg had been part of several treaties including rules of inheritance between the branches of the House of Nassau - when Wilhelm III. (of Nassau-Orange) died in 1890, leaving only a daughter, Wilhelmina became queen of the Netherlands but Luxembourg was inherited by her male cousin Adolf from the Nassau-Weilburg-line. That happened even though Luxembourg as well accepts female inheritance.

Hope this helps.

If you are interested who still carries the blood of the Counts of Luxembourg, here's a list: Stammliste des kaiserlichen Hauses Luxemburg – Wikipedia

Last edited:
Four Luxembourgs was also in my country...I do not know their names in English may be John Luxembourg, Charles IV., Wenzel IV. and Sigismund. Times of Charles IV. are the best times. He loved Prague and Czech culture. He made an university - called Charles university of Prague, he made a castle Karlstejn, he supposed Church, etc...

Luxembourg Descent

I've traced one of my family lines back to Siegfried of Luxembourg. He's my 33x Great-Grandfather.

Philippa (1252-1311), the daughter of Margaret of Bar, Countess of Luxembourg and Count Henry V of Luxembourg, was the grandmother of Philippa, Queen Consort of King Edward III of England.

Does the Grand Ducal Family still descend from the Counts of Luxembourg?

There have been various dynasties ruling over the territory as Counts, Dukes and later Grand Dukes from the original House of Luxembourg.

Hohenstaufen
Luxembourg-Namur
Luxembourg-Limburg
Valois-Burgundy
House of Habsburg
House of Bourbon
House of Wittelsbach
House of Orange-Nassau
House of Nassau-Weilburg

Does the Grand Ducal Family still descend from the Counts of Luxembourg?

I don't know the answer, but Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte descended, according to the website of the Belgian royal family, from the Dukes of Burgundy and the Counts of Flanders, Hainaut, and Namur, which might provide some lines of inquiry.

In any case, it was nice that Jean and Henri were given names borne by medieval rulers of Luxembourg.

Last edited:
List of Counts of Luxembourg
House of the Ardennes (963-1136)
963- 998 Sigefroid
998-1026 Henri I
1026-1047 Henri II
1047-1059 Giselbert
1059-1086 Conrad I
(first Count of Luxembourg)
1086-1096 Henri III
1096-1129 Guillaume
1129-1136 Conrad II
House of Namur (1136-1247)
1136-1196 Henri IV the Blind
1196-1247 Ermesinde
House of Luxembourg-Limbourg (1247-1443)
1247-1281 Henri V the Blond
1281-1288 Henri VI
1288-1310 Henri VII
1310-1346 Jean the Blind
1346-1353 Charles IV
1353-1383 Wenceslas I
(first Duke of Luxembourg)

https://www.luxcentral.com/LuxDukes.html

Several of the Counts of Luxembourg were buried at l'Abbaye Notre Dame de Clairefontaine in Wallonia.
The Abbey was founded by Countess Ermesinde of Luxembourg and later housed the tombs of several Counts and Spouses.
In 1794 French forces invaded the area and ransacked the Abbey and it has been left a ruin since.

Buried at the Abbey
Ermesinde of Luxembourg +1247
Henri V of Luxembourg +1281
Marguerite de Bar,Countess of Luxembourg +1273
Henri VI of Luxembourg +1288

Now destroyed Tomb of Henri V of Luxembourg from a 17th Century engraving
Henry_Le_Blond.jpg

I only know of Count Of Saint Pol Peter 1. Because of his daughter: Jacquetta of Luxembourg, Countess Rivers. The mother of Elizabeth Woodville. I believe they were half-French. However, that's all I know. (I hope, I don't have to use Roman Numerals on here.)

Last edited:
I only know of Count Of Saint Pol Peter 1. Because of his daughter: Jacquetta of Luxembourg, Countess Rivers. The mother of Elizabeth Woodville. I believe they were half-French. However, that's all I know. (I hope, I don't have to use Roman Numerals on here.)

Jacquetta of Luxembourg father was Pierre de Luxembourg, Count of Saint-Pol and Count of Brienne.
Her mother was Marguerite des Baux.

Her older brother Louis succeeded his father in 1433 and was Count of Saint-Pol, of Brienne, and de Ligny.

Louis de Luxembourg was a childhood friend of Louis XI of France but his participation in the League of the Public Weal against the king was his downfall and despite past friendships the Count was beheaded at the Place de Grève in Paris in 1475.

390px-Louis_de_Luxembourg%2C_comte_de_Saint-Paul%2C_conn%C3%A9table_de_France_en_1465.jpg

He was also known as Count in the Ardennes and his descendants would later become the Counts of Luxembourg.

Your link made me search on why the Luxembourg Palace in Paris is named after Luxembourg :ermm:
Just found it was named after the house and hotel owned by François-Henri de Montmorency, duc de Luxembourg

The beginnings of the Palais du Luxembourg

Now the question in my head is if they are or were related to the current House of Luxembourg at all for either the current country of the parts of Luxembourg in Belgium?

Your link made me search on why the Luxembourg Palace in Paris is named after Luxembourg :ermm:
Just found it was named after the house and hotel owned by François-Henri de Montmorency, duc de Luxembourg

The beginnings of the Palais du Luxembourg

Now the question in my head is if they are or were related to the current House of Luxembourg at all for either the current country of the parts of Luxembourg in Belgium?

I guess they are related as all noble families of that area are related throughout the 1000 years from 1000 to 200ß AD. But no, the current Grand Ducal family is not directly related to the Montmorency-Luxembourgs from the Ardenne-Luxembourg dynasty. Note: Luxembourg is first of all a place and not a family name. The elder House of Luxembourg included several holder of the title of Duke who had inherited the Luxembourg-title including the duchy itself through the female line.

You can look it up on Wikipedia, lots of interesting details.
That duchy of old ceased to exist with the succession of the French revolutionary forces at the end of the 1700s.

When Europe was reorganized after Napoleon's defeat, Luxembourg (now the Granc Duchy) was given to the Nassau-Orange family of the Netherlands who was a branch of the Nassaus of Germany in exchange for part of the Nassau-lands which went to Prussia. When Dutch king Willem III. died, leaving only a daughter as heiress, Luxembourg became an independant Grand Duchy with the Head of the Nassau-Weilburg-branch to become Grand Duke of Luxembourg in 1890. His descendants still rule the Grand Duchy.

Back
Top Bottom