Queen Zein al Sharaf (1916-1994)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see pics of the late queen mother .
But what happened to her tiara or tiaras and her jewelries?

Nice to see pics of the late queen mother .
But what happened to her tiara or tiaras and her jewelries?
I think that Princess Basma has inherited her mother's jewelry as the only girl:)

Thank you Reeda for your answer.:flowers:
But,do you know if Princess Basma has worn them,specially the tiara or tiaras.
I think it's a nice gesture from the queen to let her jewels for her only daughter.
But, I am sad to see the tiaras disapearing from the scene.
I wish the tiaras stay in a fund for the queen and future queens.
Sorry if I am out of topic

Queen Zein has a diamond tiara.

beautiful pictures Huda thank you for posting them :flowers:

in this last photos King Hussein looks exactly like PAli.:)

I agree with you he looks so much like ali.. ali and hamzah look like each other...

Does anyone know how Zein got along with her daughters-in-law (by KH)? I know she did not (understandably0 like PMuna. But what about the other three?

I believe she got along with queen noor and i've heard that she hated queen alia so much coz she is palistanian.. and king hussein loved queen alia the most between his wives

Wow, she didn't like any of them? I wonder was it because she felt that none of them were good enough for her son, or was she one of those mothers who wanted to pick their son's wife themselves? Just wondering out loud....:cool: :confused:

well she picked sharifa dina the first wife of king hussein. but later on queen zain kicked sharifa dina out of jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
She doesn't look too nice. Uhm I heard she did like princess Sarvath but not the wives of the king ( with the exception of Dina probably) because it is said above she got along with Noor but I really thought she also didn't like Noor. Is that true?

Also why would she dislike Alia because of her heritage? I mean from Muna (and even Noor) I can understand. She was British and correct me if I'm wrong but Jordan had been a colony of Britain right?

Last edited:
Also why would she dislike Alia because of her heritage? I mean from Muna (and even Noor) I can understand. She was British and correct me if I'm wrong but Jordan had been a colony of Britain right?

Not precisely a colony, it was a mandate. After the break-up of the Ottoman Empire, the map of the Middle East was basically redrawn. This resulted in the British Mandate for Palestine, which included the territory of Transjordan. Transjordan remained British mandate until 1946, when the British government formally recognised its independence. Thereafter, it was known as the Kingdom of Jordan.

Queen Zein was a strong and dominating woman who wouldn't like rivalry from any woman, including her son's wives. I am not an expert on Jordanian royals, however Zein probably disliked Alia's Palestinian heritage because just years before Hussein and Alia got married, there were tensions between Jordanians and a certain groups of Palestinians in Jordan (fedayeens). If you want to learn more, you can read about the events of Black September.

Last edited:
Oww in that way! I sort of already heard of Black September but I didn't think of it. I perhaps thought there was a different reason or something. But isn't it a bit hypocritical seeing Alia was more an Circassian then Palestinian.

As for Sarvath did she got along with her?

Oww in that way! I sort of already heard of Black September but I didn't think of it. I perhaps thought there was a different reason or something. But isn't it a bit hypocritical seeing Alia was more an Circassian then Palestinian.

As for Sarvath did she got along with her?

As far as I know, Queen Zein actually had cordial relations with Princess Sarvath despite the latter's Pakistani roots. I read somewhere the two women were united in their dislike for Queen Noor. Both Zein and Sarvath wanted Prince Hassan to succeed King Hussein, while Queen Noor was obviously trying to ensure succession for her own son, Prince Hamzah.
Some people believe that King Hussein's decision not to name Hassan as his successor was became of Sarvath's Pakistani roots; the King and his advisers presumably believed that would not be a popular decision

As far as I know, Queen Zein actually had cordial relations with Princess Sarvath despite the latter's Pakistani roots. I read somewhere the two women were united in their dislike for Queen Noor. Both Zein and Sarvath wanted Prince Hassan to succeed King Hussein, while Queen Noor was obviously trying to ensure succession for her own son, Prince Hamzah.
Some people believe that King Hussein's decision not to name Hassan as his successor was became of Sarvath's Pakistani roots; the King and his advisers presumably believed that would not be a popular decision

You would think a Pakistani queen would be more liked then a half British or half American ( in Hamzah's case) king. Weren't Sarvath and Hassan very popular in Jordan?

Woow, the late queen mother was a beautiful bride. I did not see those pics before ...thanks salma :)

An old article about her death:
Queen Zein al-Sharaf, 86, mother of King Hussein of...

April 27, 1994
* Queen Zein al-Sharaf, 86, mother of King Hussein of Jordan and one of the protectors of his throne during Jordan's political turbulence in the 1950s, died of heart failure yesterday in a hospital in Lausanne, Switzerland. She married King Talal in 1934 and had four children: Hussein, Prince Mohammed, Prince Hassan and Princess Basma. King Talal died in 1974. The queen mother became the first chairwoman of the Jordanian Women's Federation in 1944 and led foundations for orphans, the needy and the elderly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom