The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I found an ancestor of the Grimaldis in imdb. It says:

"[speaking of Caroline]
Her great-great-great-great grandmother was Yolande Martine Gabrielle de Polastron, duchesse de Polignac, who has been played by, among others, Rose Byrne, Claudia Cardinale, and Ruth Hussey."

I didn't know of the existence of this woman. And I didn't know she was played by these actresses!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Well spotted, Nathalie, thanks!!

Yolande has her own Wikipedia entry!
Yolande de Polastron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She was the "favourite" of Marie Antoinette, and this got her into trouble with the people.

She became governess to the Royal children and was given a 13-room apartment in the Palace of Versailles. Later she fell out of favour with M.-A. and moved to England where she became a friend of Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire.

In 1789 she moved to Switzerland, thus evading the French Revolution,
But she was ill with cancer and died in 1793.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Nobility

Talking Princely Fun Facts

• King Philippe IV of France named Prince Rainier I of Monaco the Admiral-General of France for his victory at Zierikzee over the Flemish fleet.
  • Prince Charles I of Monaco once pillaged Southampton, England and later fought at the battle of Crecy.
  • Lucien allegedly came to the throne of Monaco by murdering his brother and later lost it himself in the same fashion via a nephew.
  • During the reign of Charles II a Genoese-Corsican attacked was allegedly turned away when St Devote appeared over the walls to shame the attackers.
  • Hercules I of Monaco is believed to have been killed by angry fathers of girls he had "loved up".
  • Honore II of Monaco so embellished the Princely Palace that the place became known as the "Versailles of the Mediterranean".
  • Prince Louis I of Monaco and King Charles II of Britain shared a mistress (though obviously not at the same time). His wife was also mistress to Louis XIV of France for a time.
  • Prince Antoine I of Monaco planted spiney plants and cactus around the base of the palace walls to discourage attackers.
  • Prince Honore IV of Monaco fought in Spain and Russia in the Napoleonic wars and was a prisoner of war for a time.
  • Prince Charles III gave Monaco her national flag, national anthem and was the first to print postage stamps. He did not think the whole gambling thing would pan out.
  • Prince Albert I was the first Monegasque sovereign to visit the United States; going to Wyoming to hunt bears.
  • In 1910 Prince Albert stockpiled weapons and ammunition and called in British sailors from a nearbye warship for fear of a rebellion.
  • Prince Rainier III and Princess Antoinette both spoke English before learning French thanks to having an English nanny.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Renata for the Wikipedia entry. Very interesting. So she was Marie Antoinette's favourite and was later friends with the Duchess of Devoshire!

And Bones, thanks for your contribution of fun facts... the last one, amazing!
And the 7th one too
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, Bones - these mistresses must have had a busy time, what with Prince Louis and especially Charles II of England.... let's hope there were sufficient perks!

I always wonder how these reigning heads managed to get any work done - with all these mistresses vying for the privilege of "entertaining" kings and princes.....

I loved the "obviously not the same time" *lol*
Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Nobility

The woman in question was Hortense Mancini, Duchesse de Mazarin. Evidently King Charles II was rather jealous about it but I doubt Prince Louis had much sympathy considering that Charles at least had his own wife to himself whereas Louis had to prudently make himself scarce while his own wife was flavor-of-the-month to King Louis XIV. Fortunately, this was back when Princes of Monaco rarely resided in Monaco but left local affairs to a qualified regent. How Charles did it, I have no idea. I thought the same thing reading about a Vietnamese emperor who had 142 children -when did the guy find time to rule a country?!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The Vietnamese chap must have had unlimited funds and stamina :-)

Is there a connection between Hortense Mancini and Cardinal Mazarin?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Nobility

He vigorously secured the succession I guess you could say . And yes, the mistress in question was I think a neice of the famous Cardinal Mazarin if I remember correctly. She probably had court intrigue flowing freely through her veins.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Guess what - Cardinal Mazarin wasn't French at all, he was an Italian by the name of Giulio Raimondo Mazarino from Naples.

His seven nieces were known as the Mazarinettes!

He was a dab hand at gambling and loved jewellery.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The Monegasque company Artcom-Monaco has created a game called "Malizia Monaco" - "1200 questions to discover the secrets of the history of the Principality of Monaco", divided into six areas of interest, and for up to 4 players.

The company is intending to bring out an English version soon.

MALIZIA MONACO Français

See also:
News
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Nobility

ooo, must have, must have! Santa....... !
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Nobility

Question a wedding which was nearly cancelled !

hi
am wondering if any fellow members, may have any further details of the wedding of Prince Honore III and Catherine De Brignole, which according to my one and only source, was nearly cancelled at the last moment by the brides mother !

the story goes like this....

having arrived from genoa by sea in a galley, the brides mother insisted that Prince Honore should come aboard to collect his bride. he being a sovereign prince refused to do so, going no further than the landing stage.

the brides mother took offence and ordered the Genoese flotilla to set sail back to Bordighera....however it returned two days later only by the fact that the brides uncle., who was moved by Catherine's tears, found a solution to the problem. a bridge of boats was built between the galley and the shore and the couple met half way and thus wedding went ahead as planned !!

it will be appreciated if anyone could confirm the truth of the story. as i have found no other referances of the story elsewhere !!

thanks in advance......
Old 02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Gistening Seas

wow that's the first we had ever heard of this account.

So glad you could share it with us. We cannot imagine what foolishness enters the hearts sometimes. Thank God one of the in-laws had their thinking cap on
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Wikipedia has a good article about the family of Maria Caterina:

Marie-Catherine Brignole-Sale - Wikipédia

A sad story... Maria Caterina was in love with the Duke of Enghien, a member of the Bourbon family.
But her mother forbade the match and wanted her to marry Honoré instead.

To make things even more complicated, Maria's father was against her marrying Honoré, for reasons of money, and the bad reputation of Honoré.

They did get married, but the marriage did not flourish, as Honoré was jealous. Maria even flew into a convent. The bishop of the convent was a Grimaldi!
Honoré tried to appeal to the Paris Parliament, but Louis the Fifteenth abolished the parliaments - just like that!

Still, there was some happiness for Maria as she married her former lover Louis Bourbon-Condé, and they lived at Wimbledon in England.
When she died, the Royal Family paid for the funeral.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Nobility

hi thank you for the link i will take a look at it shortly.

yes it is said that Honore was very determind, unlike his predecessors to marry for love and that he lost his heart to Catherine, which might explain the fact he was such a jealous husband....

well its this story about the wedding : no matter, where i seek another referance or source i am unable to find one.
the most annoying bit is the one and only source which i have, the author does state her source at all !

well thats authors for you

thanks again for your feedback...its much appreciated and before i forget you are welcome too glistening seas

PS
WOW !!......at long last i have another source for the story, which is slightly differant !!
i must abmitt (with me being british) i did not search amomgst the non english websites etc and am most grateful for your kind help Renata4711....what a star you are....
Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Nobility

I have heard that story a number of ways myself. What comes to mind is that they had a stand-off of sorts first and the mother-in-law-to-be got mad and had the bridal flotilla sail away until everyone got seasick, then they came back and planned to extend a bridge and meet in the middle but that that didn't work out and poor Honore III finally got fed up, grabbed a nearbye boat and went out to the ship to claim his bride. Also, if I'm thinking of the right one, a reason for the father's opposition to the match was that Honore had previously had an affair with the girl's mother.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Bones, you're right - what a to-do - first he has the mother, then the daughter - but among the aristocracy of the time, that was normal behaviour, I believe...

Jonnydep, I only summarised the French Wikipedia article in a somewhat loose fashion :-)

Will try and find more detail......
Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Nobility

hi .....
no worries, i ve got a translater on pc, so i have read the link ok thanks.
very interesting indeed, i have learned quite a lot of stuff, which i did not know about...., so thanks again....its
cheers jonnydep.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Just found another Grimaldi link - or links:

This is another member of the Genoese dynasty:

Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi (1760-1830), botanist and marchesa (marquise), married to Giuseppe Grimaldi.

Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She created this Botanical Garden:

Giardino botanico Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi, near Genoa

Giardino botanico Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

Smile Glisteing Seas

So, you are saying the mother had an affair with the guy and then got annoyed and wouldn't let the daughter marry the guy?

Hopefully it was a marriage of love?? Guess the family didn't visit much after the wedding?