The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Ooops, sorry, I confused Louis and Pierre...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

There is a thread about the Prince Pierre Foundation of whom Caroline is the patron....

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Patrilineal descent
Albert's patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son.
Patrilineal descent is the predominant principle behind membership in royal houses - which means that genetically Albert II belongs to the house of Chalencon.
Early descent from
House of Chalencon

Bertrand de Chalencon, mentioned 1179
Guillaume de Chalencon, d. 1229
Bertrand de Chalencon, d. 1272
Bertrand de Chalencon, 1240 - 1295
Guy de Chalencon, 1279 - 1324
Guiot de Chalencon
Guillaume III, Baron de Chalencon, d. 1411
Pierre Armand, Baron de Chalencon, d. 1447
Louis-Armand, Viscount of Polignac
Guillaume-Armand, Viscount of Polignac, d. 1473
Guillaume of Polignac
Francois-Armand of Polignac, 1514 - 1582
Louis-Armand of Polignac, 1556 - 1584
Gaspard Francois of Polignac, 1579 - 1659
Louis-Armand of Polignac, 1608 - 1692
Scipion Sidoine of Polignac, 1660 - 1739
Louis, Marquis of Polignac, 1716 - 1792
Jules, Duke of Polignac, 1745 - 1817
Camille Henri, Count de Polignac, 1781 - 1855
Count Charles de Polignac, 1824 - 1881
Count Maxence de Polignac, 1857 - 1936
Pierre de Polignac, 1895 - 1964
Rainier III, Prince of Monaco, 1923 - 2005
Albert II, Prince of Monaco, 1958 -
Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Nobility

Lady Mc, Thank You for the information
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuedePhiladelphia View Post
Lady Mc, Thank You for the information
You're welcome. It will be interesting to see if Andrea takes the Throne from Albert what he does with his last name.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reniapl View Post
Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois, portrait as a young girl, date unknown, around 1912
http://i42.tinypic.com/2556xah.jpg
In most pictures I find a resemblance between Pss.Charlotte and Pss. Caroline - take the famous Laszlo painting f.i.

But here, the resemblance is one generation down, to Charlotte Casiraghi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Albert I on Cigar card

Albert I, Fürst von Monaco, 13.11.1848

Albert I, Fürst von Monaco, mit Marie Alice Heine, bei Hochzeit, Paris
3rd pic is the wedding of Pss Charlotte and Pr.Pierre im Monaco
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
You're welcome. It will be interesting to see if Andrea takes the Throne from Albert what he does with his last name.
probably- Casirigahi- Grimaldi in honor of his father. Since he is probably the only child that has early memories of him. I have the feeling the goverment will insist that the family only will the Grimaldi as the surname since the name has never been intertwined before--JMO
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
3rd pic is the wedding of Pss Charlotte and Pr.Pierre im Monaco
I posted the caption that was with the picture. Thank you for catching it I didn't look that close or would have realized it.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Aristocracy

La Belle Otero http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Belle_Otero was the mistress of Prince Albert I, she died in 1965, which is amuzing, because Caroline caught alive the mistress of her great-grandfather
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 AM
Heir Apparent

An interesting blog about "La Belle Otero":

The Suicide Siren: La Belle Otero

"...Eight men killed themselves for her ..... For her 30th birthday, five monarch-lovers (Prince Albert of Monaco, King Leopold of Belgium, Prince Nicholas I of Montenegro, Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich, and Edward, Prince of Wales) chipped in and threw her a gala surprise party at Maxim's..."

Also a ref to a book named "La Belle Otero" by Arthur Lewis.... I'll try and get it from the library :-)
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Glistening Seas

Is this the one that the Prince of Monaco (at that time) his wife banned from Monaco???

Apparantly she had an affinity for married men??
Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

Alice Heine, wife of Albert I, the first American princess in Monaco banned La Belle Otero from living in the principate
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois

Informations about her life, pictures...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Also a ref to a book named "La Belle Otero" by Arthur Lewis.... I'll try and get it from the library :-)
If your library doesn't have it they can order it for you. My daughter connected me to the library online and we order books from all over the country. Many don't realize they can order like that or from other countries.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM

A Missing Grimaldi

Does anyone recognize the man in the attached picture. He is my grandfather, Alberto Vincent Grimaldi, who my aunt says was from
Northern Italy. He told my mother in 1935 that he was from a very
wealthy family in northern italy and they wanted him to marry some
woman he didn't want to and that is why he left. I have not been
able to find any information on him at all. He married my grandmother,
Nicolena Amodea from Auletta after he arrived in New York. He told my mother that his parents were related to the Prince of Monaco. His parents were Vincenzo Grimaldi and Gertrude Sallilto.

If anyone has any information about my grandfather, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.
Eileen Deer
Augusta, Ga. USA
Attached Files
File Type: doc Alberto Vincent Grimaldi and wife Nicolena Amodea.doc (187.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Talking Glistening Seas

Really?? that is amazing!! It would be interesting to note your grandfather was what relation to RANIER? it's a little difficult to know whom is who since most of us here don't know much past RANIER. Certainly sounds like a wonderful man?? did he mention anything more about them to you. we would love to hear why your grandfather didn't hear from them or at least contact them. Of course, if things were such that he left more than likely your grandfather was simply enjoying his family and not interested in being part of the life his parents wanted him to have. however whatever more info you can provide would be wonderful!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The Grimaldi came from Genoa area 700 years ago so most likely any relationship would be extremely distant The name is not unique to the princely family of Monaco.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Nobility

In some ways the Princely Family of Monaco keeping the "Grimaldi" name is somewhat misleading. As has been stated the Grimaldis are a very old and by now widespread family in northern Italy. The Princely Family of Monaco have not actually been male-line Grimaldis since the reign of Prince Jacques I. From that time the princes of Monaco were actually of the Matignon family until the reign of Rainier III whose father was the Comte de Polignac and thus a different family line came into play again. This has happened in many monarchies they just don't always keep adopting the same name like in Monaco. In fact, the actual Grimaldi family became rather upset when Prince Jacques was recognized and accepted as the ruler of Monaco by King Louis and said that the people of Monaco would never accept a ruler who was not a real Grimaldi. Well, Jacques was not very popular certainly but no one seemed to hold their anger over to his children (half Grimaldi after all) and as we know things have continued on quite well. There have been many noteworthy and famous Grimaldis throughout history with no connection whatsoever to Monaco. Monarchy gets people noticed
Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

As you can see here, (type Grimaldi where it says "Cognome", on the left), the last name Grimaldi is widespread all over Italy!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

The French variant of the Grimaldi surname is also prevalent, as in "Grimaud" and "Port Grimaud" (both in the Var). On French Google there are about 665000 entries for "Grimaud", and in the actual village there are several people named Grimaldi.....