The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,582
In 1660 Prince Louis of Monaco was the heir apparent of Prince Honore II, his paternal grandfather. In 1660 King Louis XIII of France's wedding gift to Prince Louis was the Duchy of Valentinois, the Duchy of Carladez, the Marquisate of Baux and the Lordship of Buis.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,582
Federico Landi, Prince de Valdetare was the Regent for his nephew, Honore II.
The Prince de Valdetare was determined to have his nephew assume the title of Prince de Monaco.
In 1612, in a document requiring Honore's signature, the Prince de Valdetare inserted the words:

"Honore II, regnant, prince and seigneur by the grace of God of Monaco, Mentone, and Roquelrune."

The Spanish government let this statement stay in the document.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
MarcosFenn's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pickering, Canada
Posts: 78
The title 'principe' was already in any case used in relation to an Italian title for the Grimaldis since the Middle Ages.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 07-05-2014, 09:13 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,582
After the demise of her father Antoine I, Louise-Hippolyte returned to Monaco alone.
She took the oath of loyalty and was immediately made Princesse de Monaco without any mention of her husband Jacques.
Louise-Hippolyte decreed that she would reign alone.
All documents were to be in her name only.
In The Grimaldis of Monaco, Anne Edwards wrote:

Honore V's initial edict on March 12, 1815 (after decreeing that the official language would return to French, for he spoke very little Italian) was to have all property that had been confiscated by the revolutionary forces, which was now distributed among the former communes, hospitals and churches, made over to him, as well as revenues from all taxes.
Albert I was at sea when he was informed of his father Charles III's demise and altered his course back to Monaco.
On October 23, 1889 he accepted the oath of loyalty in the courtyard of the Palace.
The ceremony had not been performed there since 1731, when Honore III had returned to succeed his mother, Louise-Hippolyte.
In The Grimaldis of Monaco, Anne Edwards wrote:

When Queen Victoria and Prince Albert paid a return visit to France in September 1855, Charles and Antoinette (of Monaco) attended the great ball in their honor at Versailles. For Antoinette this was the greatest moment of her life, the imperial grandeur of it was to affect her for the rest of her life. From this time she conjured up the dream that her son, Albert, then only a small child, would marry into the British royal family.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
After the demise of her father Antoine I, Louise-Hippolyte returned to Monaco alone.
She took the oath of loyalty and was immediately made Princesse de Monaco without any mention of her husband Jacques.
Louise-Hippolyte decreed that she would reign alone.
All documents were to be in her name only.
Louise Hippolyte, Princess of Monaco is so far the only Sovereign Princess of Monaco but sadly her reign was brief : 20th of February 1731 –29th of December 1731.
__________________
September 14th, 1982:Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 AM
titiromi's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris & Salon-De-Provence, France
Posts: 342
Does the princely family descend from any King or Queen?

(Even from an illegitimate line?)
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Swarzedz, Poland
Posts: 51
Princess Alexandra is a descendant of Queen Victoria through her father Prince Ernst August V of Hannover.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
The Grimaldi Ancestors

Through Marie Amelie of Baden the Grimaldis are descended from Kings of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Bohemia,Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Germany, France, Jerusalem, Scotland etc... They're also descended from the Habsburg Emperors and the Latin Emperors of Constantinople.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 11-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
Does the princely family descend from any King or Queen?

(Even from an illegitimate line?)
Every currently reigning European monarch is descended from Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange and Landgravine Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel

The line is:

  1. Johan Willem Friso and Landgravine Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel
  2. Princess Amalia of Nassau-Dietz and Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Baden-Durlach
  3. Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Baden and Landgravine Caroline Louise of Hesse-Darmstadt
  4. Charles Louis, Hereditary Prince of Baden and Landgravine Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt
  5. Charles, Grand Duke of Baden and Stephanie de Beauharnais
  6. Princess Marie Amelie of Baden and William Hamilton, 11th Duke of Hamilton
  7. Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton and Albert I of Monaco
  8. Louis II of Monaco and Ghislaine Dommanget
  9. Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois and Count Pierre de Polgnac
  10. Ranier III of Monaco and Grace Kelly
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 11-18-2015, 11:53 AM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,801
... previous, I agree and the Grimaldi dynasty is the oldest ruling dynasty of Europa

She is 700 years old
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,554
That is simpy not true: "the Grimaldi dynasty is the oldest ruling dynasty of Europe".

The Maison de Monaco is one of the oldest ruling dynasties and it comprises of the family Grimaldi (until 1731), the family De Goyon de Matignon (until 1949) and the family De Polignac (until present). Yes, yes, they have adopted the surname Grimaldi but that does not mean it is the same family.

When you are neglecting this and start being "creative" then there are much, much older reigning dynasties. Denmark, for an example. The United Kingdom, for an example. Sweden even, since they can also trace back to older Houses than the Bernadottes only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
Does the princely family descend from any King or Queen?

(Even from an illegitimate line?)
The most direct royal line of course is HRH Princess Alexandra of Hannover, daughter of Princess Caroline. Her father is Ernst August, the Prince of Hannover, by direct male line also a Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale and Earl of Armagh. (Prince Ernst August has the right to petition his cousine Queen Elizabeth II to use his British titles again but has never done so far). Of course, Princess Alexandra belongs to the Royal House of Hannover.

The Princes of Monaco themselves did not directly descend from a King or Queen but by marriage there are royal connections. The current most close royal connection of Prince Albert, Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie goes via their ancestor Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton, spouse of Prince Albert I of Monaco and their great-great-grandmother. The mother of this Lady Mary Victoria was a daughter of the Grand-Duke of Baden and via him descended to almost all current royal houses.

Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 11-18-2015, 02:08 PM
titiromi's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris & Salon-De-Provence, France
Posts: 342
Thank you all for your answers :-)
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,801
No need to be connected to queen Victoria to be a great yinasty, each country has a glorious history and big rulers.


The Hannover family has no more power apart to be connected to the English monarchy, they are princes but they are nothing because Germany is a republic as the Habsbourg, the Romanov and so.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
No need to be connected to queen Victoria to be a great yinasty, each country has a glorious history and big rulers.


The Hannover family has no more power apart to be connected to the English monarchy, they are princes but they are nothing because Germany is a republic as the Habsbourg, the Romanov and so.
Well, well... "they are nothing" is not true. Queen Frederika of Greece was an aunt to Prince Ernst August. Queen Sofía of Spain is full cousine to Prince Ernst August. His uncle Prince Georg was married to Princess Sophia of Greece, a sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Prince Ernst August has fabulous residences like Schloss Marienburg (handed over to his eldest son), the Fürstenhaus (his private residence). Schloss Herrenhausen, the magnificent palace of the Hannovers was bombed in WWII and has been re-build but is now a public building owned by the State of Hannover.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Well, well... "they are nothing" is not true. Queen Frederika of Greece was an aunt to Prince Ernst August. Queen Sofía of Spain is full cousine to Prince Ernst August. His uncle Prince Georg was married to Princess Sophia of Greece, a sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Prince Ernst August has fabulous residences like Schloss Marienburg (handed over to his eldest son), the Fürstenhaus (his private residence). Schloss Herrenhausen, the magnificent palace of the Hannovers was bombed in WWII and has been re-build but is now a public building owned by the State of Hannover.
True....it matters not how royal the Grimaldi's are - actually they are of nobility (noble, not royal, prince/sses) - they are ranked as 2nd (after another principality, Liechtenstein) as the wealthiest European "royal" families. I think the Netherlands royal family ranks 3rd (actually HRH P Beatrix herself) because of their ownership in Royal Dutch Shell. QEII ranks fourth in the list. So I doubt P Albert and family give two hoots that others do not not consider their family "royal" - they aren't. But they are worth over two billion US dollars, and QEII doesn't even come close to that in wealth. Just as someone made himself The Prince of Monaco long ago, someone long ago also made himself The King of England, and every royal/noble family had someone long ago who made himself a King, Queen, prince, princess, Duke, Earl, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 12-06-2015, 11:55 AM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,801
Grimaldi are royal no need to have royal relatives to be royal , Grimaldi family is a reigning family on the principauty of Monaco since 700 years, Monaco is a principauty and the Grimaldi is a family who is reigning , no matter it is a tiny principauty.


The hannover family is no more reigning , the sons of EA of Hnover sold their résidences and when they come in Hanover, they are Misters Hanover, Germany is a republic, they have prestigious relativs and a good pedigree but they are no more reigning, Plbert II is the prince Sovereign of Monavo governing and reigning on Monaco, when he is also the chief of state of Monaco whar are no more the Habsbourg, the Hanover, the Romanov or the family of Greece.


Prince Albert and Prince Hans Adam of Liechenstein are reigning and governing, the other Kings and Queens are only reigning nothing other. Monaco has a long history with the same family the Grimaldi who are at the head of the principality , it is it is the most aged dynasty reigning in Europa. Th other are no more reigning as the Habsbourg .or Bourbons

Here is thr link of the family of Monaco and the power of the prince sovereign




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Monaco
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
True....it matters not how royal the Grimaldi's are - actually they are of nobility (noble, not royal, prince/sses) - they are ranked as 2nd (after another principality, Liechtenstein) as the wealthiest European "royal" families. I think the Netherlands royal family ranks 3rd (actually HRH P Beatrix herself) because of their ownership in Royal Dutch Shell. QEII ranks fourth in the list. So I doubt P Albert and family give two hoots that others do not not consider their family "royal" - they aren't. But they are worth over two billion US dollars, and QEII doesn't even come close to that in wealth. Just as someone made himself The Prince of Monaco long ago, someone long ago also made himself The King of England, and every royal/noble family had someone long ago who made himself a King, Queen, prince, princess, Duke, Earl, etc.
Being royal is not expressed in wealth. Princess Margarita of Romania and her sisters have very, very darkblue blood in their veins but are "poor". King Felipe of Spain has very, very darkblue blood in his veins but is "poor". The usual way to "categorize" royals is by their ancestry.

For an example: Jean-Christophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon and his sister Madame Eric Quérénet-Onfroy de Bréville née Caroline Bonaparte, Princesse Napoléon (picture), have a profit from their prestigious mother, a Princesse de Bourbon des Deux-Siciles. Via their mother they came back in full royal spotlights and are related to the Bourbons in France, the Borbóns in Spain and the Borbones in Italy. Via their mother the Bonapartes are welcome at all these royal houses. Was their mother not a Princesse de Bourbon but just the girl-next-door, then the whole standing of Jean-Christophe would have been lower. No matter how much money they have or do not have.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Being royal is not expressed in wealth. Princess Margarita of Romania and her sisters have very, very darkblue blood in their veins but are "poor". King Felipe of Spain has very, very darkblue blood in his veins but is "poor". The usual way to "categorize" royals is by their ancestry.

For an example: Jean-Christophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon and his sister Madame Eric Quérénet-Onfroy de Bréville née Caroline Bonaparte, Princesse Napoléon (picture), have a profit from their prestigious mother, a Princesse de Bourbon des Deux-Siciles. Via their mother they came back in full royal spotlights and are related to the Bourbons in France, the Borbóns in Spain and the Borbones in Italy. Via their mother the Bonapartes are welcome at all these royal houses. Was their mother not a Princesse de Bourbon but just the girl-next-door, then the whole standing of Jean-Christophe would have been lower. No matter how much money they have or do not have.
By missing my point, you actually backed it up. The Grimaldi's are titled, and worth a couple of billion US dollars. They live very "comfortable" lives and I am sure it matters not to any of them how "royal" people believe them to be. Technically, they are not royalty (=HRH), they are nobility (=HSH). Because their ancestry is not up to par with royal houses, their blood is considered less "blue." So, if were a noble princess (and had hardly any blue-blood ancestors) and I am worth a billion dollars more than you, a king (with prestigious blue-blood ancestry), I would be laughing all the way to the bank as I drive away from my 500-room pink palace in one of my 27 $750,000+ automobiles. BTW, I know it is only an expression to say royals have blue blood, but their blood is no different than mine or yours - genetically they are only human beings, just as is every person in the world. If QEII stood before me, I would not curtsey to her or any other king, prince/princess, etc., because they are only another person - nothing more.
So being royal is not expressed in wealth; wealth - with or without a royal/noble title - makes life a lot more sweeter than being the "very, very dark blue-blood" poor, broke-@$$ (but so good-looking) King of Spain.:sly:
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Grimaldi are royal no need to have royal relatives to be royal , Grimaldi family is a reigning family on the principauty of Monaco since 700 years, Monaco is a principauty and the Grimaldi is a family who is reigning , no matter it is a tiny principauty.


The hannover family is no more reigning , the sons of EA of Hnover sold their résidences and when they come in Hanover, they are Misters Hanover, Germany is a republic, they have prestigious relativs and a good pedigree but they are no more reigning, Plbert II is the prince Sovereign of Monavo governing and reigning on Monaco, when he is also the chief of state of Monaco whar are no more the Habsbourg, the Hanover, the Romanov or the family of Greece.


Prince Albert and Prince Hans Adam of Liechenstein are reigning and governing, the other Kings and Queens are only reigning nothing other. Monaco has a long history with the same family the Grimaldi who are at the head of the principality , it is it is the most aged dynasty reigning in Europa. Th other are no more reigning as the Habsbourg .or Bourbons
IDK for sure, but read that HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco owns all of the casinos in Monaco and reaps most of the profits from casino revenue. Also read that HSH Prince Hans Adam actually "owns" all of the land within the boundaries of his (literally) country of Liechtenstein. This why a recent vote in that country actually gave HA more power. His subjects did not want to disgruntle the powers that be (or in this case, the power that is).
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
True....it matters not how royal the Grimaldi's are - actually they are of nobility (noble, not royal, prince/sses) - they are ranked as 2nd (after another principality, Liechtenstein) as the wealthiest European "royal" families. I think the Netherlands royal family ranks 3rd (actually HRH P Beatrix herself) because of their ownership in Royal Dutch Shell. QEII ranks fourth in the list. So I doubt P Albert and family give two hoots that others do not not consider their family "royal" - they aren't. But they are worth over two billion US dollars, and QEII doesn't even come close to that in wealth. Just as someone made himself The Prince of Monaco long ago, someone long ago also made himself The King of England, and every royal/noble family had someone long ago who made himself a King, Queen, prince, princess, Duke, Earl, etc.
Being a Serene Highness instead of a Royal Highness doesn't make the Grimaldi's any less royal than any other royal family. Prince Albert II is a reigning monarch. That's what makes him royal.

Serene Highness, by the way isn't purely a title of nobility. More typically it denotes either a smaller realms or cadet branches of a royal family. Which describes Monaco fairly well - it's a small realm, although the ruler of Monaco holds much more power than other most other European monarchs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Prince Albert and Prince Hans Adam of Liechenstein are reigning and governing, the other Kings and Queens are only reigning nothing other. Monaco has a long history with the same family the Grimaldi who are at the head of the principality , it is it is the most aged dynasty reigning in Europa. Th other are no more reigning as the Habsbourg .or Bourbons
That's... not accurate. Monaco has a long history with the Grimaldis, yes, but it's not the oldest dynasty in Europe. The Grimaldis have ruled in Monaco since 1297, but for the first 100 years or so it wasn't exactly an undisputed rule, and in 1642 the Grimaldis became vassals of the French. Then in 1793 Monaco was captured by the French, and held for about 20 years. Which means that while the Grimaldi rule of Monaco began about 700 years ago it hasn't been uninturrupted. Furthermore, there is an illusion of the same dynasty having ruled for all that time that isn't entirely accurate. There are several points in Monaco's history when a daughter inherited the throne, married a man who took the Grimaldi name, then abdicated in favour of her husband.

As for other European realms, though... As heirs of William the Conqueror, Elizabeth II's family has ruled England since 1066 - 200 years longer than the Grimaldis have been in Monaco - with one interruption during the English Civil War. As the heirs of Kenneth MacAlpin they've ruled Scotland since 843, with a few interruptions. As the heirs of Gorm the Old, the family of Margrethe II has ruled Denmark since 940. Felipe VI's ancestors have been ruling parts of Spain since 905. Monaco's certainly not got them beat.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monaco's succession issues Julia Princely Family of Monaco 640 09-21-2016 12:29 PM
The will of Lord John Grimaldi of Monaco (1454) Louis14 Monegasque Princely History 242 05-24-2011 06:01 PM
Photo Retrospective of the Grimaldi Family - Part V Mandy Princely Family of Monaco 191 06-13-2007 05:35 PM
Photo Retrospective of the Grimaldi Family - Part IV Gabriella Princely Family of Monaco 220 04-13-2006 07:22 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best hat best outfit catherine middleton style contact form coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria's maternity fashion current events current events thread danish royal family duchess of cambridge dutch royal family family fashion poll felipe vi grand duke jean greece harald kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe and queen letizia king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander member introduction national day norwegian royals opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard princess madeleine princess madeleine fashion princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia maternity wear princess sofia pregnancy style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania in spain 2015 royal royal fashion rundell state visit sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge eveningwear the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises