King Hassan II (1929-1999)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asma2

Aristocracy
LATE HIS MAJESTY KING HASSAN II

His majesty King Hassan II was born in Rabat on July 9th, 1929. He attended his first koranic science classes at the Royal Palace of Rabat.
After successful university studies in Rabat and Bordeaux (France), H.M. the King obtained in 1952 a D.E.S. (Master's degree) in public law.

His Majesty was brought up in an atmosphere marked by patriotism, heroism and mobilization. His father, the late King Mohammed V, gave his eldest son an education combining tradition and modernity and a training based on arab-islamic values and the principles of universal civilization.

Since his childhood, the sovereign witnessed great historical events.

In 1943, he attended, with his father, the Anfa conference where he met Churchill and Roosevelt. The Allies conference was held on the eve of the liberation of Europe and at an important turning point of the world history.

In 1944, His Majesty King Hassan II participated in drafting the Independence Manifesto together with representatives of the National Movement. Indeed, Prince Moulay Hassan was since his youngest age an active militant in the imperial college, the den of Moroccan militancy and nationalism.

In 1947, Prince Moulay Hassan took part in the historic trip of the late Mohammed V to Tangiers where his father delivered a speech claiming the independence of the country, its territorial integrity and its membership to the Arab League. He, himself, issued a call inviting the youth to mobilize for the liberation of the country.

on August 20, 1953, the protectorate authorities exiled to Corsica His Majesty Mohammed V, Prince Moulay Hassan and the royal family. They were transferred in January 1954 to Madagascar. Prince Moulay Hassan acted during the exile as his father's political advisor.

On November 16, 1955, His Majesty Mohammed V and the royal family returned from exile.

In February 1956, Prince Moulay Hassan took part, alongside his father, in the negotiations for independence.

After independence, His Majesty Mohammed V appointed his eldest son, Prince Moulay Hassan, in April 1956, chief of staff of the Royal Armed Forces.

On July 9, 1957, Moulay Hassan was officially proclaimed Crown Prince.

On March 3, 1961, following the decease of His Majesty Mohammed V, Moulay Hassan was proclaimed King of Morocco.

Since his enthronement, the sovereign endeavored to endow the country with democratic representative institutions at the national, regional and local levels.

His Majesty Hassan II has ceaselessly been working for the unification of the Kingdom and the consolidation of its independence and territorial integrity: liberation of the province of Tarfaya (1958) and the province of Sidi Ifni (1969).

In October 1975, His Majesty the King organized the glorious green march which liberated Sakiet-El-Hamra and Oued-Dahab (former Spanish Sahara) and returned them to the homeland.

His Majesty the King is one of the pillars of peace in the world. Thanks to his action, Morocco played a dynamic role within major international and regional organizations.

1960:

His majesty the King led the Moroccan delegation to the XV session of the United Nations General Assembly.

1961:

His Majesty the King took part, alongside his father, the later Mohammed V, in the first conference of Independent African States, a conference known as the +Casablanca Group+.

September 1961:

His Majesty the King delivered a historic speech during the Belgrade conference, marking the creation of the Non-Aligned Movement.

September 10, 1969:

His Majesty chaired in Rabat the first Summit of the Organization of Islamic Conference (O.I.C.), held following the burning of Al Aqsa mosque (Al-Quds)

December 21, 1969:

His Majesty the King chaired in Rabat the 5th arab Summit.

June 12, 1972:

His Majesty the King chaired in Rabat the 9th summit of the Organization of African Unity (O.A.U.)

October 26, 1974:

His Majesty the King chaired in Rabat the 7th arab summit which recognized, for the first time, the P.L.O. as the sole and legitimate representative of the Palestinian People.

May 8, 1979:

His Majesty the King was elected President of "Al Quds Committee", stemming from the Organization of Islamic Conference (O.I.C.), during the 10th conference of foreign ministers of islamic countries.

November 1981 and September 1982:

His Majesty the King chaired the 12th arab summit of Fes which adopted an action plan for peace and assigned a seven-member committee, chaired by His Majesty the King, to undertake the necessary contacts with permanent member countries of the security council with the aim of finding a peaceful, comprehensive and fair solution to the problem in the Middle East.

January 16, 1984:

His Majesty the King chaired in Casablanca the fourth summit conference of islamic countries (O.I.C.)

August 7, 1985:

His Majesty the King chaired in Casablanca an arab extraordinary summit.

December 14, 1988:

His Majesty the King chaired the XV French-African summit, in Casablanca.

February 16, 1989:

His Majesty the King chaired the constitutive Summit of the Arab Maghreb Union (U.M.A.) in Marrakesh.

May 23, 1989:

His Majesty the King chaired in Casablanca the arab extraordinary summit.

June 5, 1989:

His Majesty the King chaired in Rabat the first meeting of heads of state of the tripartite committee in charge of finding a solution to the Lebanese crisis.

January 22, 1990:

His Majesty the King took part in the ordinary session of the U.M.A. Presidency council in Tunis

September 15, 1991:

His Majesty the King chaired in Casablanca the 4th ordinary session of the U.M.A. presidency council.

January 31, 1992:

His Majesty the King delivered a speech at the summit of heads of state and government of the UN security council member countries.

October 21-30, 1992:

His Majesty the King paid an official visit to five arab countries (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Syria and Egypt).

September 21-24, 1993:

His Majesty the King paid an official visit to Portugal.

April 15, 1994:

His majesty the King chaired the closing session of the GATT ministerial conference held in Marrakesh and which led to the birth of the World Trade Organization (W.T.O.).

October 29, 1994:

His Majesty the King chaired the opening session of the first Economic Conference on North Africa and the Middle East, in Casablanca.

December 13, 1994:

His Majesty the King chaired in Casablanca the seventh islamic summit conference (O.I.C.)

January 15, 1995:

His Majesty the King chaired in Ifrane the 15th session of Al-Quds Committee

March 14, 1995:

His Majesty the King paid a state visit to the United States of America.

March 13, 1996:

His Majesty the King participated in the summit conference of "Peace Architects" in Sharm-Sheikh in Egypt.

May 6, 1996:

His Majesty the King paid a state visit to France

May 26, 1998:

His Majesty the King paid an official visit to Egypt

Imbued with an arab-islamic culture, modern jurist unmatched in the synthesis, His Majesty the King has shown great skills in architecture, science, medicine and technique. He wrote in 1976 "Le Defi" (The Challenge) that was translated into several languages.

In 1993, a book entitled "Hassan II, Memoire d'un Roi" (Hassan II, Memory of a King) was published in the Aarab and French languages. The book which is the result of a series of long interviews conducted by French journalist Eric Laurent with His Majesty the King is a document full of revelations, confidences and thoughts on power and monarchy in Morocco.

It is also a collection of memories on Moroccan and foreign figures whom the Sovereign met during his reign.

His Majesty King Hassan II is the father of five children:
-H.R.H. Princess Lalla Meriem, born on August 26, 1962;

-H.R.H. Crown Prince Sidi Mohammed, born on August 21, 1963;

-H.R.H. Princess Lalla Asmaa, born on September 29, 1965;

-H.R.H. Princess Lalla Hasna, born on November 19, 1967;

-H.R.H. Prince Moulay Rachid, born on June 20, 1970

As a father, the Sovereign has instilled into his five children a strong commitment to the search for learning and a dedication to uphold the values of their country and their people.

His Majesty King Hassan II is one of the major advocates of peace in the world. Thanks to his efforts, Morocco has been able to play an active role in major international and regional organizations.
Apart from his Arab-Islamic background, the monarch is a distinguished jurist who has an outstanding ability to rationalise and synthesize matters under consideration. His Majesty, King Hassan II, is well versed in the fields of architecture, medicine and technology. In 1976, he wrote "Le Defi" (The Challenge), a book which has been translated into several languages.

In 1993, a book entitled “Hassan II, la Mémoire d'un Roi” (“Hassan II, a King's Memory”) was published in Arabic and French.

During the same year, and as a follow up to the first publication, another book was published : “Les Images de la Mémoire d'un Roi” (“A King's Memory in Pictures”).

H.M. late King Hassan II of Morocco

Attachments

• hassan.jpg
    hassan.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3,638
  • hassan_n1.jpg
    hassan_n1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 20,134
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 4,263
Last edited by a moderator:
  1. The late King Hassan II with Mohamed Ali
  2. with Yasser Arafat and Yitsak Rabin
  3. with The pope Jean-paul II
  4. The king pictured with former French Premier Lionel Jospin 10 days before his death ...the king was the guest of honor at France's Bastille Day parade
  5. with King of Bahrain and his sons
  6. with Araffat and his sons
  7. with Mubarak and his sons
  8. The late King Hassan II with actress Elizabeth Taylor
  9. Hassan II with Queen Elizabeth II of Britain

Attachments

• hassan___ali.jpg
    hassan___ali.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 7,621
  • hassan___arafat___rabin.jpg
    hassan___arafat___rabin.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 6,947
  • hassan___pope.jpg
    hassan___pope.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 5,391
  • hassan_jospin.jpg
    hassan_jospin.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 3,988
  • h_e111.JPG
    h_e111.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,439
  • hassan2_elisabeth222.JPG
    hassan2_elisabeth222.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,564
lalla latifa est née en 1946 dans la plus grande famille berbere du maroc. A la mort de mohamed V, elle integre avec sa cousine fatima le harem de hassan II, la future épouse du roi devant être l'une des deux cousines.
Moins jolie que sa cousine elle attire pourtant l'attention du roi grâce à sa forte personnalité. elle devient son épouse et la mére de ses cinq enfants
cette dame n'apparait sur aucune photo officielle, sauf lors du mariage de sa fille hasna, on peut voir alors une femme mince d'assez petite taille assise prés de la princesse

lalla latifa est née en 1946 dans la plus grande famille berbere du maroc. A la mort de mohamed V, elle integre avec sa cousine fatima le harem de hassan II, la future épouse du roi devant être l'une des deux cousines.
Moins jolie que sa cousine elle attire pourtant l'attention du roi grâce à sa forte personnalité. elle devient son épouse et la mére de ses cinq enfants
cette dame n'apparait sur aucune photo officielle, sauf lors du mariage de sa fille hasna, on peut voir alors une femme mince d'assez petite taille assise prés de la princesse
Lalla latifa was born in 1946 in the most important Berber family in Morocco. With the death of Mohamed V, she joined with her cousin Fatima into the harem of Hassan II, the future wife of the king who became his wife ahead of one of the two cousins.(not sure. Don't know the history) Less pretty than her cousin she however drew the attention of the king thanks to her strong personality and became his wife and the mother of her five children. This lady never appeared in any official photograph except at the time of the wedding of her daughter Hasna. One can see from that photo a rather thin woman with a small waist seated next to the princess.

I read that the brother lalla latifa was a general and was executed by Hassan II, because he was suspected of having taken part in an attempted coup d'etat that was not widely liked in the family, what do you all think? What have you heard?

In the last pic when he was with Queen Elizabeth is that the time when he was a couple of hours late and pissed the Queen off?

i read in "les jardins du roi" written by Fatima Oufkir,who was a friend of moroccan royal family and was living in the palace,she said that Lalla Latifa was tall,M6 and My Rachid are tall,and their father the late king Hassan2,wasn't tall,their tall height is from their mother Lalla Latifa,not? ;)

When MohamedVI was twenty years old, he made an accident of car, and it seems that the reason of his accident, is that, this day, he learned that his mother (lalla latifa) had an affair with the man charged of the security of the palace
Personally, if this history is true, I can’t blame lalla latifa of what she made; because this woman, lived in the palace surrounded with her husband's concubines, and far from her children who lived in another house; this lady had to be very alone and I pity her for the life that she has whith HassanII

HM the King to commemorate 5th anniversary of his late father king Hassan II’s demise

RABAT, may 28 – HM King Mohammed VI of Morocco, Amir Al Mouminine (Commander of the Faithful), will chair on Saturday, at the Rabat Mohammed V Mausoleum, a religious ceremony to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the demise of his father, late King Hassan II, a communiqué of the Royal Household said Friday.

Koran verses will be recited on this occasion, followed by panegyric of the prophet, Sidna Mohammed.

The late king Hassan II, who ruled Morocco for 38 years, passed away in July 1999.

I didn't read the book of fatima oufkir, but the one of her daughter malika oufkir "
malika oufkir had been adopted by king mohamed V, so that she stay with lalla amina, malika oufkir has lived to the royal palace numerous years, and she told in her book " la prisonnière " how after the death of mohamed V, and the enthronement of Hassan II, biggest Berber family of morocco sent two girls latifa 15 years and fatima 13 years so that the king choose, his wife between the two
fatima was, tall, she had madonna's face; latifa was small (1.54m), irregular features, a prominent nose, but she had a lush hair and big brown eyes
fatima immediately fell in love with the king, latifa was a lot more reserved
Hassan II was touched by the beauty of fatima and her love for him, but he also appreciated the charisma of latifa
The women of the harem made everything so that fatima, more malleable either pregnant, but it didn't arrive
One day latifa presented herself to the king while telling him that if he didn't let him a luck to become mother, she preferred to go back at home, this attitude was pleasing to hassan II, that made of latifa her wife
There is what written ' malika oufkir " in her book about HassanII and latifa

HM the King commemorates 5th anniversary of his late father king Hassan II’s demise

RABAT, May 29 – HM King Mohammed VI of Morocco, Amir Al Mouminine (Commander of the Faithful), chaired on Saturday, at the Rabat Mohammed V Mausoleum, a religious ceremony to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the demise of his father, late King Hassan II.

Koran verses were recited on this occasion, followed by panegyric of the prophet, Sidna Mohammed.

The late king Hassan II, who ruled Morocco for 38 years, passed away in July 1999, corresponding to Rabii II of the Hegira year.

KM6 & My Rachid
KM6

I read in the French newspaper " Le Monde " of yesterday, that lalla latifa, got remarried after the death of HassanII, with Mohamed Mediouri the man charged of the security, they live currently between Versaille and Marrakech
I think that she is a woman who has who has a strong personality, to have maintained an affair during several years under the eyes of Hassan II,
Me, I say bravo to lalla latifa, after must have supported during forty years the mistresses of her husband, finally she lives with the man that she loves

Last edited:
I found these pictures of the late king, ;the last two pictures were taken years before when he was still a crown prince.

;Apart from his political history which I think sometimes succeed difficult situations, I can't really undretsand why a king (he is still a human being) can't make his feet get dirty. He can clean them after and even change his pair of shoes. At the end this will be part of joy while he was hunting and in the nature.
The other photo sitting to the table. I don't know if the others were invited or not, but presonally I can't eat and others looking at me!

Attachments

• 51400362.jpg
    51400362.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 51400361.jpg
    51400361.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,910
  • 0000037226-013.jpg
    0000037226-013.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,659
  • 0000037226-002.jpg
    0000037226-002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 0000037226-001.jpg
    0000037226-001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 0000037226-009.jpg
    0000037226-009.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,386
He looks ridiculous in all the photos, especially the one where he is having his shoes changed for him. Couldn't he have done this himself? I wonder how the ordinary Moroccan feels about this: times are tough in the kingdom yet they must serve the members of their royal family this way. The Alaouites could end up just like the Pahlavis.

abir said:
Apart from his political history which I think sometimes succeed difficult situations, I can't really undretsand why a king (he is still a human being) can't make his feet get dirty. He can clean them after and even change his pair of shoes. At the end this will be part of joy while he was hunting and in the nature.
The other photo sitting to the table. I don't know if the others were invited or not, but presonally I can't eat and others looking at me!

I think that hassan II didn't know how to be simple, Malika Oufkir who was close to him several years, said that he was accustomed to have slaves

Do harems still exist in Morocco?

I read, that some say here, that prince moulay rachid is a playboy

Perhaps these people confound between playboy and the tradition of the harem

Harems existed in the upper bourgeoisie as well as in the royal family
does this practice still exist?

about the harem, king hassanII had one, but king mohammedVI stop this practice

samia said:
about the harem, king hassanII had one, but king mohammedVI stop this practice

You are right samia, actually this practice existed till the time of reign of the late king Hassan II,but the actual king Mohammed VI abolished this practice when acceded to the reign even the pressure of the royal house and the "Mekhzen" who have a big power.

But it was a responsabiltity to let some of 50women of the harem going out the palace with their families for their own,now they are all have their
own house and are paied each 600US$/month,which is very appropriate in morocco.

Late king Hassan II

1. posing
  2. giving a speech
  3. during the anniversary of investiture the 3th March then:
  4. official duties
  5. visiting the southern moroccan saharian cities:
  6. with french president then François Mitterend,
  7. american president Donald Regan
  8. with queen ElisabethII:

Attachments

• KHII.JPG
    KHII.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 692
  • KHII 2.JPG
    KHII 2.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,230
  • KHII 3.JPG
    KHII 3.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 2,252
  • KHII 5.JPG
    KHII 5.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 11,077
  • KHII 4.JPG
    KHII 4.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 567
  • KHII 6.JPG
    KHII 6.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,164
  • KHII 8.JPG
    KHII 8.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • KHII 7.JPG
    KHII 7.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,486
Harem doesn't exist anymore in Morocco ;)

;)
sabiha said:
and the one of hassan II?;)

All women who were in Hassan II Harem were "freed" after his death. The ones who didn't have families to support them stayed as hosts in the palace. The ones who wanted to leave left and got a monthly stipends to help them pay their expenses.:cool:

Layla27 said:
;)

All women who were in Hassan II Harem were "freed" after his death. The ones who didn't have families to support them stayed as hosts in the palace. The ones who wanted to leave left and got a monthly stipends to help them pay their expenses.:cool:

Thanks for information:)
in all case it was a strange costume, poor lalla latifa

sabiha said:
Thanks for information:)
in all case it was a strange costume, poor lalla latifa

Why poor lalla Latifa?:confused: , she her self (with her cousin Fatima) was a part of Hassan II's harem, and thanks to that, she became the wife of KHII and the mother of the princes!

sabiha said:
in all case it was a strange costume

actually it's strange if you see that from a view of an other culture!

This costume was as normal as it's normal to live in concubinage for couples in western culture.

What's strange for one culture is quit accepted for other cultures, it depends only of the context!

Monalisa said:
Why poor lalla Latifa?:confused: , she her self (with her cousin Fatima) was a part of Hassan II's harem, and thanks to that, she became the wife of KHII and the mother of the princes!

because she shared her husband with lot of lady

Monalisa said:
actually it's strange if you see that from a view of an other culture!

This costume was as normal as it's normal to live in concubinage for couples in western culture.

What's strange for one culture is quit accepted for other cultures, it depends only of the context!

big difference: concubinage is between a man and a woman, harem is between a man and women;)

Set 4:

Pic # 1: one of M6 wedding ceremonies

Then pics of Hassan II when he was toddler, and in different functions such as meeting Kennedy and the pope.

Attachments

• Hassan 2 Allegance.jpg
    Hassan 2 Allegance.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 589
  • Hassan 2+Nanny.jpg
    Hassan 2+Nanny.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 804
  • Hassan II + Kennedy.jpg
    Hassan II + Kennedy.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 773
  • Hassan II + Kennedy2.jpg
    Hassan II + Kennedy2.jpg