Queen Desideria (1777-1860)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Queen Desideria (Eugenie Bernardine Désirée Clary)

Desideria was the daughter to the merchant Francois Clary and Rose somis. 1794 Desideria got engaged with Napoleon Bonarparte. Two years later the engagement was broken by Napoleon and Desideria became fiance to general Duphot (Something which she later on denied!). Duphot got killed in a street fight and on the summer 1798 Désirée got married to Jean Baptiset Bernadotte. After a brilliant career (as well in the army as in the civilian life) Bernadotte was brought to Sweden to become king.

Désirée became crownprincess. In 1811, 9:th Jan. she arrived to Sweden, but as she disliked the cold weather in Sweden she soon returned to France.

She became queen of Sweden in 1818, ut she didn't go to Sweden until 1823. She was crowned as a Queen 1829 and became a widow in 1844. She lived her last year of her life in a withdrawn and isolated way. Many times she stried to get back to Paris. In 1853 she came as far as Karlskrona, where she regretted her decision and went back to Stockholm. In 1860, 17:th of Dec. she died 83 years old at Stockholms Castle after a visit to the opera.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,344
Hi Josefine,

I'm confused. You posted about Queen Desideria, "She became queen of Sweden in 1818, but she didn't go to Sweden until 1823. She was crowned 1829 and became a widow in 1844."

Then about Queen Josefina, you posted, "In 1822 she was bethrotted to Crownprince Oscar of Sweden and Norway in Eichstedt, Germany. The following year she married him par porcuration in München. Soon thereafter Josefina wnet to Stockholm to get crowned queen of Sweden and Norway. "

It seems like they would be queens at the same time?

Queen Desideria did not liked Sweden she thought it was too cold and preferred France instead. But after a while when her son Prince Oscar (later King Oscar I) married she changed her mind and lived in Sweden for the rest of her life and then in 1829 she became "Crowned Queen" but she was already Queen since 1818. When Karl XIV Johan died in 1844 she became Queen Dowager of Sweden and Norway.

And Josefina became Queen of Sweden and Norway in 1844.

Thanks Emil, that makes more sense that Queen Josefina beccame queen in 1844 instead of 1823. ;)

Did someone see the TV documentary today?
By historian Herman Lingqvist?

Thank you for posting a link to my website about Désirée Clary Bernadotte (Queen Desideria). You can find more pictures of her there at Images of Désirée.

This is a very interesting forum. I've enjoyed reading the posts and hope to participate when I can.

Last edited:
No problem and welcome to the board.

are there any good books about this queen

and is there not a movie about her also?

A good book about her is "Desiree" by Annemarie Selinko. I think some of it is fictionalized but it is her life, and it is a great book. According to amazon.com there was a movie based on the book with Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons. If you get the chance, definitely read the book - it's a good read.

Hey, you guys got me interested as well. I just found out that my local library has a copy of "Desiree", which I will be checking out as soon as my exams are done.
Thanks for starting this thread, Josephine.

Were you reading about her presently or just always liked her and decided to open a thread about her?

i saw a programme on swedish TV about swedens six last queens since the Bernadottes sat on the throne of Sweden the first one was about Queen Desideria. that made me more inhtrested. i will try to find the book and we can talk about it here.

its here where she lay in rest i do not know what church it is

Desideria.jpg

nebula5 said:
Thank you for posting a link to my website about Désirée Clary Bernadotte (Queen Desideria). You can find more pictures of her there at Images of Désirée.

This is a very interesting forum. I've enjoyed reading the posts and hope to participate when I can.
thank you so much for the link

King Jean Baptist and Queen Desiree

Attachments

• kronprin.gif
    kronprin.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,483
i would love to see a swedish movie about the queen maybe a project with the french production

yes, Désirée and Desideria both mean the desired one, one in french and one in latin. My parents both liked the meaning and my mother has read the book by Annemarie Selinko, that's why my second name is Désirée.

Josefine said:
its here where she lay in rest i do not know what church it is

Desideria.jpg
It is Riddarholmskyrkan at Stockholm where the swedish Kings are buried. The last one who was buried there was King Gustaf V. in 1950. King Gustaf VI. Adolf is buried at the Royal burial Ground at Haga.

Additionally, Julie Clary, sister of Désirée, was married to Joseph Bonaparte elder brother of Napoleon. Joseph and Julie were placed on the Spanish throne by Napoleon.

In a book I read about Desirée it said that her nephew, the son of her brother Eugene Clary, followed her to Sweden. Are there still Clarys around?

what movies has been done bout her or her in it

I think there was one made in the 50s.

Back
Top Bottom