Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

given how misogynistic the king is, i dont think his mother had much influence on him...
and as for marrying a commoner, he hardly had a choice. Only option was anne, and people were wise enough not to push it, as it would be a marriage in hell, a 1000 times worse than c&d..

Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I've known for a long time that Sibylla had a much more up-to-date outlook on the monarchy than her father-in-law the King but I'm actually quite pleased that she, as I discovered a few weeks ago, supported equal rights of succession for men and women and also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)

I can't help imagining how different the Swedish Royal Family would look like total if Princess Anne had married King Carl XVI Gustaf as Lord Mountbatten wanted.

Similarly, I also can't help thinking how a marriage between Princess Madeleine and Prince William would have looked like.

Last edited:
Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.

Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.

Last edited:
Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.

Well if Sweden managed to have to catholic queens in the 19th century I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem in the 20th-21th especially since a ban on a marriage between CG and a foreign lady just because of her religion would have no support at all by a very secular population.

Had no idea (but not surprised) that Lord Mountbatten tried to get Anne and CG together. Of the monarchs of her generation I've always imagined Harald of Norway would've suited Anne best. I did read somewhere that Astrid of Belgium was seen as a suitable match by the two families but that both A and CG would have nothing of it.

there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job

Last edited:
there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job

If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.

If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.

Anne would've been a handful to much for CG...

that is just an assumption. Anyway hen he was way smart enuf to choose the right woman. Pity charles didnt learn much from him..

Last edited:
Let's move on. No need to insult the king of Sweden or to rehash old tabloid phantasies about the Princess Royal and the King in a thread that is dedicated to Princess Sibylla of Sweden. Further replies to these topics will be deleted.

Last edited:
also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)
Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.

Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélène Silfverschöld.

Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.
That might be true, but I wonder if Sibylla hadn't also understood that it was time for the royals to start marrying outside their own circle. Five princes had been thrown out of the succession because of their marriages, and it was starting to look silly to expect every prince to only marry a princess. And we also know now that out of Sibylla's five own children, only Birgitta made an equal match.

Meraude said:
Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélène Silfverschöld.
Correction: GA and Sibylla were both great grandchildren of Queen Victoria. But yes, we can sure assume that they had both had strong British influences during their childhoods. His mother and her father had both come from the UK, and I know that GA and his siblings also had British nannies when they were children.

Last edited:
Princess Sibylla's sister Caroline certainly led an interesting life that must have raised many a royal eyebrow!

I have no doubt that Sibyllas support for giving women succession rights was influenced both by the change of times and what must've been a horrendous amount of pressure on her and her husband to produce a male heir. It might be rumours but I've read that she cried of relief when she discovered shed finally given birth to a boy.

I wonder why the Swedes and Danes were so conservative while Dutch were very progressive for those times..with British in the centre.. Any social/political reasons?

Yes, that's a lovely picture of a very happy granny! If that pic was taken in summer 1967, then Charles Edward Ambler, born 14.07.1966, and Kristina-Louisa, baroness Silfverschiold, born 29.09.1966, would fit in age. The baby in blue seems the larger of the two, which would fit as Charles is a bit older than Kristina.

I have not seen this thread before or I would have contributed before.

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.

Last edited:

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.

Fascinating! Thank you for sharing!

Sibylla had the misfortune of being a German at a time, when it became a bad thing after the WWII. And I don't know how well-known it was in that her father became convicted of war crimes, but that sure can't have helped either. And yes, some people also felt that Sibylla was too aloof. So even though her children became the darlings of the people, Sibyllla had a hard time becoming well-liked. As I have understood it, it was only after Queen Louise had passed away, that Sibylla got another chance from the people.

Thanks Thomasine for sharing your story.
I always wonder why people don't liked the Sibylla and thanks Furienna for this information.

Some parts of Johan T Lindwall's article about princess Sibylla:
Sweden didn't receive their new princess with open arms. Germany's role in World War II brought hatred, and Sibylla with her German background was particularly vulnerable and beset because she didn't learn Swedish properly. Hatred was a while so strong that she received anonymous threatening letters.
- She was so young when she came here to a foreign country and she got stuck in a very intense family life. She gave birth incessantly, her deliveries were difficult and she felt bad for all pregnancies. She had the enormous pressure to herself at any cost give birth to an heir, a prince. And so it came only girls all the time!, Princess Christina told in an interview in Svenska Dagbladet.
Only when she gave birth to Carl Gustaf in 1946 the succession was secured and the little princesses could for a short time to enjoy the harmony with their baby brother at Haga Palace. Until that January day in 1947 when Prince Gustaf Adolf died. The plane crash turned the reality of the family upside down. The princess didn't talk with her children about that their father had died.
- She never told me that my father had died, and it took me five or six years to understand that I didn't have a father anymore. I feel no resentment or bitterness towards my mother, because I think I understand her. She was in despair herself and it was a terrible shock to her, Princess Christina told to Svenska Dagbladet.
- It was our mom's way of coping with the situation, be able to live her life. We wouldn't talk about the matter. So it was just like that. Of course it wasn't good for us children. It would have been much better to be able to talk about my father's death, Princess Birgitta said in an interview.
Sibylla spoke to journalist Margit Vinberg about longing for her husband: "When my husband died, I felt like the floor fell under my feet. Such a happiness in the accident that she isn't alone, she has her children, said the people around me when my husband died. Many said it also directly to me and of course it was meant as a kind of consolation. But I would have liked to shout out my loneliness."
For Haga princesses and Prince Carl Gustaf the distance to their mother was growing. They didn't even stay in the same apartment as Princess Sibylla. The rescue was nanny Ingrid "Nenne" Björnberg. At first she lived with the children in a special floor at Haga Palace. Sibylla isolated to the point that she only met her children once a day. At breakfast they got to go down to wish "good morning". In reality it was Nenne who took care of the siblings.
Princess Sibylla saw how the children came closer and closer to the nanny, and it bothered her:
"Our mother was sometimes terribly jealous of her, for it was to Nenne we went with our small and major concerns. This, however, had a perfectly natural explanation. Our mother was forced to spend much time on the court duties and was often away from home on different missions, princess Birgitta wrote in her memoirs.
- She was probably not so great just as a mother, Princess Birgitta told in an interview in Expressen in 1997 with Jonas Sima.
Her grandchildren didn't bring some tenderness to Sibylla. When Birgitta had children and visited the palace they were refused at first to sit at the dinner table.
- In this case, I take the kids with me and go home, I replied. Then mom gave in a little, Birgitta told.
The family left Haga Palace in 1950 and moved into the Royal Palace. There, the nightmare continued with Sibylla who came to feel more and more misunderstood in Sweden. She was mocked for her family ties with Nazi Germany and was at odds with the Swedish people. In her last interview before she passed away in 1972 in intestinal cancer, princess Sibylla said that she was not worried about the "death" but "how the Swedes would remember her."
Kungen övergavs av sin mamma prinsessan Sibylla _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The more I learn about Princess Sibylla, the more I feel sorry for her. True, she might have come across as cold and aloof. But unless I am much mistaken, I believe that many princesses back then were raised to not show too many emotions. Neither would a princess have been expected to take care of her children. And when you think about what Sibylla had gone through, you can't really blame her for becoming depressed as the years went by. She had to go through five hard childbirths to give Sweden an heir to the throne. And she hardly had managed to do that before her husband died and her father was convicted of war crimes. Life was never too easy for Sibylla. It is telling though that Princess Madeleine, who has often been described as a copy of her paternal grandmother, also happens to be less popular and considered more haughty than Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Carl Philip.

Last edited:
Was her wedding a love wedding or an arranged one ?

There is a film of their wedding day and we can see and the end of the wedding how Ducky (Hesse/Romanov) passed before the Tsar of Bulgaria..

Was her wedding a love wedding or an arranged one ?
As far as I can tell, they had chosen each other by themselves. But when you consider that royals were only allowed to consider another royal back then, it could at least partly still have been a marriage of convenience.

Last edited:
Sibella's sister Caroline Matilda accused their father Carl Edouard of sexually abusing her as a child and young woman, and i don't see any reason to doubt the allegations as one of CM and sibella's brothers has backed up the accusations. Since abuse does not occur in isolation it's possible that sibella was abused as a girl and young woman as well.

I found this in Karina Urbach Go Betweens for Hitler OUP 2015 (p178) which has a lot of info on Sibella's father (CGs grandfather)

Sibella's sister Caroline Matilda accused their father Carl Edouard of sexually abusing her as a child and young woman, and i don't see any reason to doubt the allegations as one of CM and sibella's brothers has backed up the accusations. Since abuse does not occur in isolation it's possible that sibella was abused as a girl and young woman as well.

I found this in Karina Urbach Go Betweens for Hitler OUP 2015 (p178) which has a lot of info on Sibella's father (CGs grandfather)

imo that is a olympic-size-leap into speculation-land:
If Calma accused her father of sexual abuse as a child, you shouldn't just feel the liberty to assume that her fathere abused his other children as well, especially as they never openly mentioned it themselves
Königlicher Beobachter: Rezension: Hitlers Herzog: Carl Eduard von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha - Die Biographie von Harald Sandner
This article mentions the allegations, but not if it was actually proven...and certainly not any other allegations concerning this crime

Colorful life bot father Carl-Edouard and daughter Calma had, by the way, but i assume there are seperate threads about them ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom