The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

I have no doubt that Sibyllas support for giving women succession rights was influenced both by the change of times and what must've been a horrendous amount of pressure on her and her husband to produce a male heir. It might be rumours but I've read that she cried of relief when she discovered shed finally given birth to a boy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Courtier

I wonder why the Swedes and Danes were so conservative while Dutch were very progressive for those times..with British in the centre.. Any social/political reasons?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Christmas cards signed by princess Sibylla are at an auction at Bukowskis Market.
God jul…i september _ Bakom Kulisserna
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder which of her grandchildren are in this photo from 1967 which is my favourite.

http://bakomkulisserna.svenskdam.se/...9/julkort2.jpg
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, that's a lovely picture of a very happy granny! If that pic was taken in summer 1967, then Charles Edward Ambler, born 14.07.1966, and Kristina-Louisa, baroness Silfverschiold, born 29.09.1966, would fit in age. The baby in blue seems the larger of the two, which would fit as Charles is a bit older than Kristina.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Gentry

I have not seen this thread before or I would have contributed before.

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post

I have actually met Princess Sibylla the year before she passed away. You could clearly see that she was unwell but at the time there had been no official announcement that she was ill. She was a very nice lady, polite and friendly but she gave the impression of suffering from shyness and I don't blame her with the reception she had received when arriving in Sweden.

I was a young and fairly new airline stewardess when assigned task of taking special care of the Princess.

My mother met her shortly after her arrival in Sweden in the 30s. My mother was a student at Marthaskolan, an exclusive and well known fashion and sewing academy in Stockholm and in her third year she was assigned to make a day dress for the Princess as a graduation task. Mum really liked her and always defended her when other people criticized her. Mum also made an evening gown for Crownprincess (later Queen) Louise, also a great lady.
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Gentry

Thank you Sarahbellar!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post

Sibylla had the misfortune of being a German at a time, when it became a bad thing after the WWII. And I don't know how well-known it was in that her father became convicted of war crimes, but that sure can't have helped either. And yes, some people also felt that Sibylla was too aloof. So even though her children became the darlings of the people, Sibyllla had a hard time becoming well-liked. As I have understood it, it was only after Queen Louise had passed away, that Sibylla got another chance from the people.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:35 AM
Majesty

Thanks Thomasine for sharing your story.
I always wonder why people don't liked the Sibylla and thanks Furienna for this information.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Some parts of Johan T Lindwall's article about princess Sibylla:
Sweden didn't receive their new princess with open arms. Germany's role in World War II brought hatred, and Sibylla with her German background was particularly vulnerable and beset because she didn't learn Swedish properly. Hatred was a while so strong that she received anonymous threatening letters.
- She was so young when she came here to a foreign country and she got stuck in a very intense family life. She gave birth incessantly, her deliveries were difficult and she felt bad for all pregnancies. She had the enormous pressure to herself at any cost give birth to an heir, a prince. And so it came only girls all the time!, Princess Christina told in an interview in Svenska Dagbladet.
Only when she gave birth to Carl Gustaf in 1946 the succession was secured and the little princesses could for a short time to enjoy the harmony with their baby brother at Haga Palace. Until that January day in 1947 when Prince Gustaf Adolf died. The plane crash turned the reality of the family upside down. The princess didn't talk with her children about that their father had died.
- She never told me that my father had died, and it took me five or six years to understand that I didn't have a father anymore. I feel no resentment or bitterness towards my mother, because I think I understand her. She was in despair herself and it was a terrible shock to her, Princess Christina told to Svenska Dagbladet.
- It was our mom's way of coping with the situation, be able to live her life. We wouldn't talk about the matter. So it was just like that. Of course it wasn't good for us children. It would have been much better to be able to talk about my father's death, Princess Birgitta said in an interview.
Sibylla spoke to journalist Margit Vinberg about longing for her husband: "When my husband died, I felt like the floor fell under my feet. Such a happiness in the accident that she isn't alone, she has her children, said the people around me when my husband died. Many said it also directly to me and of course it was meant as a kind of consolation. But I would have liked to shout out my loneliness."
For Haga princesses and Prince Carl Gustaf the distance to their mother was growing. They didn't even stay in the same apartment as Princess Sibylla. The rescue was nanny Ingrid "Nenne" Björnberg. At first she lived with the children in a special floor at Haga Palace. Sibylla isolated to the point that she only met her children once a day. At breakfast they got to go down to wish "good morning". In reality it was Nenne who took care of the siblings.
Princess Sibylla saw how the children came closer and closer to the nanny, and it bothered her:
"Our mother was sometimes terribly jealous of her, for it was to Nenne we went with our small and major concerns. This, however, had a perfectly natural explanation. Our mother was forced to spend much time on the court duties and was often away from home on different missions, princess Birgitta wrote in her memoirs.
- She was probably not so great just as a mother, Princess Birgitta told in an interview in Expressen in 1997 with Jonas Sima.
Her grandchildren didn't bring some tenderness to Sibylla. When Birgitta had children and visited the palace they were refused at first to sit at the dinner table.
- In this case, I take the kids with me and go home, I replied. Then mom gave in a little, Birgitta told.
The family left Haga Palace in 1950 and moved into the Royal Palace. There, the nightmare continued with Sibylla who came to feel more and more misunderstood in Sweden. She was mocked for her family ties with Nazi Germany and was at odds with the Swedish people. In her last interview before she passed away in 1972 in intestinal cancer, princess Sibylla said that she was not worried about the "death" but "how the Swedes would remember her."
Kungen övergavs av sin mamma prinsessan Sibylla _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

The more I learn about Princess Sibylla, the more I feel sorry for her. True, she might have come across as cold and aloof. But unless I am much mistaken, I believe that many princesses back then were raised to not show too many emotions. Neither would a princess have been expected to take care of her children. And when you think about what Sibylla had gone through, you can't really blame her for becoming depressed as the years went by. She had to go through five hard childbirths to give Sweden an heir to the throne. And she hardly had managed to do that before her husband died and her father was convicted of war crimes. Life was never too easy for Sibylla. It is telling though that Princess Madeleine, who has often been described as a copy of her paternal grandmother, also happens to be less popular and considered more haughty than Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Carl Philip.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Sibylla with the poet Giorgos Seferis
Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Sibylla in 1937
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
And in 1963
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Was her wedding a love wedding or an arranged one ?

There is a film of their wedding day and we can see and the end of the wedding how Ducky (Hesse/Romanov) passed before the Tsar of Bulgaria..
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Was her wedding a love wedding or an arranged one ?
As far as I can tell, they had chosen each other by themselves. But when you consider that royals were only allowed to consider another royal back then, it could at least partly still have been a marriage of convenience.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:10 AM
Nobility

Sibella's sister Caroline Matilda accused their father Carl Edouard of sexually abusing her as a child and young woman, and i don't see any reason to doubt the allegations as one of CM and sibella's brothers has backed up the accusations. Since abuse does not occur in isolation it's possible that sibella was abused as a girl and young woman as well.

I found this in Karina Urbach Go Betweens for Hitler OUP 2015 (p178) which has a lot of info on Sibella's father (CGs grandfather)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Sibella's sister Caroline Matilda accused their father Carl Edouard of sexually abusing her as a child and young woman, and i don't see any reason to doubt the allegations as one of CM and sibella's brothers has backed up the accusations. Since abuse does not occur in isolation it's possible that sibella was abused as a girl and young woman as well.

I found this in Karina Urbach Go Betweens for Hitler OUP 2015 (p178) which has a lot of info on Sibella's father (CGs grandfather)
imo that is a olympic-size-leap into speculation-land:
If Calma accused her father of sexual abuse as a child, you shouldn't just feel the liberty to assume that her fathere abused his other children as well, especially as they never openly mentioned it themselves
Königlicher Beobachter: Rezension: Hitlers Herzog: Carl Eduard von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha - Die Biographie von Harald Sandner
This article mentions the allegations, but not if it was actually proven...and certainly not any other allegations concerning this crime

Colorful life bot father Carl-Edouard and daughter Calma had, by the way, but i assume there are seperate threads about them
Old 07-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Nobility

No it isn't. One of Sibella's brothers was convicted of incest later on and my comment about abuse in families is based on the fact that this is what most research into the topic shows - that it is rare for one child to be abused alone, that it runs in families, and that false accusations are very rare.

You mention Calma's failed marriages as evidence against her, I'd see that as evidence for. The review you posted mentions that Calma tried to "sue and blackmail" her father Over this (I'm running the article through google translate) so it sounds like some kind of investigation was launched. Ditto for Sibella's inability to relate to her children, not a main factor but certainly a possibility that has been overlooked.

Incest and sexual abuse were highly taboo topics for men and women of Sibella's generation which explains why nobody said anything until the 1980s and Sibella was long dead by this point. There's no way of proving anything now unless new evidence comes to light, but the possibility can't be excluded, and if it did turn out to be true than it would explain a great deal about this unhappy misunderstood princess.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Well, it seems like there still is no evidence that Sibylla was sexually abused. So I don't how much can be said about this matter.