The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Swedish Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

Ah! It does make sense that the fast food chain was named after the princess. I just never knew that it was the case, even though I kind of suspected it. But I doubt that this association is enough to keep royals from giving their daughter that name.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

A biography about princess Sibylla was published in 2007, it was written by Roger Lundgren: Sibylla : en biografi - Roger Lundgren - bok(9789100111120) - fraktfritt | Adlibris Bokhandel

Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Sibylla on magazine covers
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

I remember an article in some magazine, that described how Princess Madeleine was so much alike her grandmother Sibylla. And yeah, I think I can see a resemblance.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Beautiful photo of princess Sibylla in 1957
Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Sibylla, as a model for a sculpture of Späth Begás.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 AM
Nobility

I've known for a long time that Sibylla had a much more up-to-date outlook on the monarchy than her father-in-law the King but I'm actually quite pleased that she, as I discovered a few weeks ago, supported equal rights of succession for men and women and also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Courtier

given how misogynistic the king is, i dont think his mother had much influence on him...
and as for marrying a commoner, he hardly had a choice. Only option was anne, and people were wise enough not to push it, as it would be a marriage in hell, a 1000 times worse than c&d..
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Nobility

Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
given how misogynistic the king is, i dont think his mother had much influence on him...
and as for marrying a commoner, he hardly had a choice. Only option was anne, and people were wise enough not to push it, as it would be a marriage in hell, a 1000 times worse than c&d..

Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I've known for a long time that Sibylla had a much more up-to-date outlook on the monarchy than her father-in-law the King but I'm actually quite pleased that she, as I discovered a few weeks ago, supported equal rights of succession for men and women and also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)

I can't help imagining how different the Swedish Royal Family would look like total if Princess Anne had married King Carl XVI Gustaf as Lord Mountbatten wanted.

Similarly, I also can't help thinking how a marriage between Princess Madeleine and Prince William would have looked like.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Had he chosen to stick to the old rules concerning marriage there was countless ladies with the right descent to choose from at the time. Besides Anne there was princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and not to speak of many from the deposed or mediatised families (or as I saw them called somewhere "the breeding farms of Germany"). Had CXVIG wanted to there would've been many families to choose from.
Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Nobility

Princess Sibylla (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Princesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco would be of course Catholic and, hence, not a good match for a Protestant king at a time when the Church of Sweden was still an established religion. Of course, there would be always the "breeding farms of Germany" to choose from, but the rumor was that both the British and Swedish royal courts were very much interested in matching the King with Princess Anne.

Well if Sweden managed to have to catholic queens in the 19th century I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem in the 20th-21th especially since a ban on a marriage between CG and a foreign lady just because of her religion would have no support at all by a very secular population.

Had no idea (but not surprised) that Lord Mountbatten tried to get Anne and CG together. Of the monarchs of her generation I've always imagined Harald of Norway would've suited Anne best. I did read somewhere that Astrid of Belgium was seen as a suitable match by the two families but that both A and CG would have nothing of it.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Courtier

there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
there is no way anne could have lived that life.. Enduring a drunk philandering partying chauvunist husband courting every sort of shady persons..and still pasting a grin from ear to ear and giving a perfect picture in the name of duty..no thanks.. It may be worth a shot for a noble/lesser royal but not for an equally headstrong olympian daughter of the british monarch. I am so glad she didnt get stuck in this. Lucky for sweden and its monarchy, they found a much better person for that job
If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If the gossip is true, it was Carl Gustaf who turned Anne down, and not the other way around.

Anne would've been a handful to much for CG...

Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
that is just an assumption. Anyway hen he was way smart enuf to choose the right woman. Pity charles didnt learn much from him..
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Let's move on. No need to insult the king of Sweden or to rehash old tabloid phantasies about the Princess Royal and the King in a thread that is dedicated to Princess Sibylla of Sweden. Further replies to these topics will be deleted.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)
Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.

Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélène Silfverschöld.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Princess Sibylla didn't have anything against a commoner daugher-in-law, but if my memory isn't wrong, the reason why she hoped for a Swedish DIL was that she wouldn't want her son to marry a German, as she feared a German woman/princess would be as badly received in Sweden as she had been during her years here.
That might be true, but I wonder if Sibylla hadn't also understood that it was time for the royals to start marrying outside their own circle. Five princes had been thrown out of the succession because of their marriages, and it was starting to look silly to expect every prince to only marry a princess. And we also know now that out of Sibylla's five own children, only Birgitta made an equal match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude
Interestingly enough, if the Wikipedia article about her late husband is true, the couple spoke English and not German when together, as Sibylla's Swedish wasn't very good. It makes sense that English was their common language as both were grandchildren of queen Victoria, as well as English was the daily language of queen Louise and king Gustaf VI Adolf. Sibylla and Lilian Craig also had English as a common language, I remember having read somewhere (possibly in Lilian's autobiography) that Sibylla and Lilian became friends, and Lilian was the godmother of Hélène Silfverschöld.
Correction: GA and Sibylla were both great grandchildren of Queen Victoria. But yes, we can sure assume that they had both had strong British influences during their childhoods. His mother and her father had both come from the UK, and I know that GA and his siblings also had British nannies when they were children.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Sibylla's sister Caroline certainly led an interesting life that must have raised many a royal eyebrow!