Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1908-1972) - King Carl XVI Gustaf's Mother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious as to why the King didn't name any one of his daughter's after his mother. Sybilla is a beautiful name. Any ideas?

Perhaps because Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler already has a daughter named after Sibylla, namely Sibylla Ambler, it can get confusing to have a lot of people with the same name around in one family, which I know from personal experience since half the women in my paternal family are called Marie and variations on that theme while on the maternal side it is all Anna and variations on it.

A lovely photo, princess Sibylla with princess Margareta November 28th 1934
Photoshot
Photo of Princess Sibylla undergoing the driving test in Stockholm July 17th 1935
Photoshot
Nine-year-old Prince Carl Gustaf of Sweden shows his school report to his mother, Princess Sibylla, and sister, Princess Birgitta, during breaking-up ceremonies at the Broms school, where the young princ, is a pupil. The crown prince is dressed for a gymnastic exhibition.
ANP Beeldbank
At the solemn opening of the Swedish Parliament the royal persons appear in all their state. Left-right Queen Louise, King Gustaf VI Adolf and Princess Sibylla
ANP Beeldbank
Princess Sibylla and prince Gustav Adolf at their wedding day
SeegerPress
A lovely photo of princess Sibylla, taken in October 1914
SeegerPress
Duke Karl Eduard and Duchess Viktoria Adelheid of Sachsen - Coburg and Gotha with their Family, Children Hereditary Prince Johann Leopold, Princess Sibylla, Prince Hubertus and Princess Caroline Mathilde, taken Ist April 1914
SeegerPress
Duke Karl Eduard and Duchess Viktoria Adelheid of Sachsen - Coburg and Gotha with their Family, Children Hereditary Prince Johann Leopold, Princess Sibylla, Prince Hubertus, Princess Caroline Mathilde, Prinz Friedrich and Prince Friedrich Josias, taken 1st January 1923
SeegerPress

Some photos of princess Sibylla:
Princess Sibylla as a child
Sjöberg Bild
Sjöberg Bild
Princess Sibylla with one of her daughters
Sjöberg Bild
Princess Sibylla and crown prince Gustaf Adolf 1937
Sjöberg Bild

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some lovely pictures!

Ha ha... Yeah, that wasn't good.

Well, the description mentions scout uniforms, maybe that's how they looked back then. They sure aren't pretty in any case...
Prince (not Crown Prince) Gustav Adolf's hat is almoust as big as an umbrella!

I'm curious as to why the King didn't name any one of his daughter's after his mother. Sybilla is a beautiful name. Any ideas?

The Princesses have eight names together, so it shouldn't have been very difficult to squeeze in Sibylla there, even though the King's niece is named Sybilla.
He didn't choose Gustaf as one of his son's names either, and that was the name of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather as well as being his own name. Princess Christina's son is named Gustaf, and the King and Queen chose the more personal Edmund, which was the family's name for the King's father, but still.
Perhaps these names will show up in the next generation.:rolleyes:

Princess Sibylla with prince Gustaf Adolf at their engagement day:
Sjöberg Bild
Sjöberg Bild
Princess Sibylla with prince Gustaf Adolf at the 1930´s
Sjöberg Bild
Sibylla, Gustaf Adolf and Gustav V at the 1940´s
Sjöberg Bild
Sibylla with princess Desiree at the 1960´s
Sjöberg Bild

Princess Sibylla was present when her three daughters, the Princesses Margaretha (left), Desiree (second from right), and Birgitta, (right) participated in the patrol competitions of the Girl Scouts of Stockholm 1948
Corbis

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Sibylla was good mother and grandmother to Princess Margarethas children and Princess Desirees children,Princess Birgittas children. Princess Sibylla was much near good friends with Ingrid Björneberg"Nenne". Ingrid was "grandmother" to king Carl Gustaf and Princess sisters Bernadotte. Princess Sibylla was near with his father-in-law Gustaf Adolf. Near Queen Louise death 1965 and King Gustaf Adolf was big sorry his wifes death. Princess Sibylla was support too father-in-law King Gustaf Adolf on Queen Louises funeral 1965 and many years! Princess Sibylla was often alone near his husband death 1947. Princess Sibylla often visit event and dress! Princess Sibylla was good daughter-in-law too King Gustaf Adolf. Princess Sibylla death 1972 after Ingrid Björneberg take over see more royal family Bernadotte. Ingrid Björneberg have often live his royal family Bernadotte from 1940-1990. Ingrid was "grandmother" more King Carl Gustaf with Queen Silvia,children. Princess Birgitta with family,Princess Desiree with family.Princess Christina with family,Princess Margaretha with family. Princess Sibylla was much grateful to left Ingrid Björneberg at royal family of Bernadotte. Ingrid Björneberg was born 1913-1994. She was death at royal palace Sweden.

there has been a bokk written about her
has anyone seen it?
what did you think

Oh my god when you look at her pictures with then prince carl gustav she look more like his grandmother she was only 43 and she had all the grey hair and people should look more into her life cause i dont think she was that cold to her children like so many royal women she just could not relate to her children. also the fact that her father was a nazi leaders and she bear four girls before she had a son { another version of alexandra feodorovna } but unlike the tsarina her father was blessed not to have inherit the dreadful disease which could have pass on to her children i wonder how she would react if she had live to see her son marry a commoner since it was with reluctant she accept her sons-in-laws but werent the king 26 and i believe when she died they should arrange a marriage for him with a princess i always like her even tough she wasnot popular

The Princesses have eight names together, so it shouldn't have been very difficult to squeeze in Sibylla there, even though the King's niece is named Sybilla.
He didn't choose Gustaf as one of his son's names either, and that was the name of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather as well as being his own name. Princess Christina's son is named Gustaf, and the King and Queen chose the more personal Edmund, which was the family's name for the King's father, but still.
Perhaps these names will show up in the next generation.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, Sibyllas names was "Sibylla Calma Alice Wettin" and Victoria is named "Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée" - so as you can see, they have "Alice" in common :) And Queen Silvias mother was called Alice... so I think its a v nice thing to give "Alice" to their first daughter :wub:

Did Sibylla and Gustav Adolf speak German or English together? According to Wikipedia, Sibylla had difficulties in learning Swedish. The following quote suggests that she wasn’t eager to discuss in English, either. But after all, her father was a British prince by birth.

In the book “Avoid boring people: Lessons from a Life in Science” Nobel Prize Winner James Watson tells about a dinner related to Nobel festivities in 1962: ”This time I was between the wife of the Swedish prime minister and Sibylla, the wife of the Crown Prince Gustav Adolf, who had died in a 1947 airplane crash when his daughters, the princesses, were still young girls. I found it easier to converse with the prime minister's wife than with Sibylla, whose native language was German. Sibylla ate practically nothing, perhaps imagining her still comely figure metamorphosing into the stereotypical one for royal consorts of the past century.”

Its such a pity that Sibylla did not live long enough to see her son become King.

As I've understood it, Sibylla wasn't that popular. Germans were considered suspicious after WWII, and Sibylla also was considered very aloof, probably because she didn't speak Swedish that well. It was only after Queen Louise passed away in 1965, that she had a few years of a somewhat increased popularity. But she didn't live to see her son become king.

I wonder if we'll ever see a future Princess Sibylla in the future,or maybe the name will not be used again.

Its such a pity that Sibylla did not live long enough to see her son become King.
Indeed, but it would also have been funny to have a mother of a monarch, who "only" was a princess (and yeah, duchess of Västerbotten). But then again, Netherlands now has gotten their third ex-queen being styled princess.

I wonder if we'll ever see a future Princess Sibylla in the future,or maybe the name will not be used again.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Indeed, but it would also have been funny to have a mother of a monarch, who "only" was a princess (and yeah, duchess of Västerbotten). But then again, Netherlands now has gotten their third ex-queen being styled princess.

The mother of King Juan Carlos of Spain was also only a Princess/Countess,so Sibylla if she had lived longer,wouldn't be alone :flowers:

Ah! It does make sense that the fast food chain was named after the princess. I just never knew that it was the case, even though I kind of suspected it. But I doubt that this association is enough to keep royals from giving their daughter that name.

I remember an article in some magazine, that described how Princess Madeleine was so much alike her grandmother Sibylla. And yeah, I think I can see a resemblance.

I've known for a long time that Sibylla had a much more up-to-date outlook on the monarchy than her father-in-law the King but I'm actually quite pleased that she, as I discovered a few weeks ago, supported equal rights of succession for men and women and also as seen in the headline of the last magazine would prefer her son to marry a Swede (which basically means a commoner)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

given how misogynistic the king is, i dont think his mother had much influence on him...
and as for marrying a commoner, he hardly had a choice. Only option was anne, and people were wise enough not to push it, as it would be a marriage in hell, a 1000 times worse than c&d..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom