The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Swedish Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Majesty

www.ibl.se
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	10581  

Old 09-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Royal Highness

Devin:
Thank you for starting this thread. It has gone a long way to provide the knowledge about this individual.

And thank you, Emil, Julia, Josefine and Kelly for filling in some more gaps.

A few questions come to mind, if you don't mind B) : to close out the remaining gaps???
1.) Isn't the thread supposed to be titled, "... 1906 - 1947"?

2.) I see the Duke was in the scouting movement. Is this a family tradition, seeing how H.M. is chief scout (worldwide)?

3.) I have tried to find information on the internet, about what the circumstances were with the Duke's tragic accident. Any idea how it happened? It was foggy, wasn't it? By the way, I thought the accident happened on the way back to Sweden???

4.) How come his marriage to Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha occurred in Germany? I mean, he was the first son of the first prince to the senior prince up to the king .. one would have thought that marriage would occur in Sweden?????

5.) Posting of Dec 30th, 2002 - 2:32 pm. The Mr. Hammarskjold referred to, what is the relationship to Dag H of the UN?

Thanks to everybody,
Haakon2

Old 10-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Oh feel sooo sorry for them, such a loving couple with such a nice family.

I've heared, cancers are mostly caused by mood. If a person is constantly sad in his/her inner-most feeling, then cancer would eventually emerge.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 27th, 2003 - 10:10 pm
Devin:
Thank you for starting this thread. It has gone a long way to provide the knowledge about this individual.

And thank you, Emil, Julia, Josefine and Kelly for filling in some more gaps.

A few questions come to mind, if you don't mind B) : to close out the remaining gaps???
1.) Isn't the thread supposed to be titled, "... 1906 - 1947"?

2.) I see the Duke was in the scouting movement. Is this a family tradition, seeing how H.M. is chief scout (worldwide)?

3.) I have tried to find information on the internet, about what the circumstances were with the Duke's tragic accident. Any idea how it happened? It was foggy, wasn't it? By the way, I thought the accident happened on the way back to Sweden???

4.) How come his marriage to Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha occurred in Germany? I mean, he was the first son of the first prince to the senior prince up to the king .. one would have thought that marriage would occur in Sweden?????

5.) Posting of Dec 30th, 2002 - 2:32 pm. The Mr. Hammarskjold referred to, what is the relationship to Dag H of the UN?

Thanks to everybody,
Haakon2
Thank you, I will answer your questions but I am afraid that I can't reply to all of them:

1. It is!

2. Yes it is a family tradition

3. As you know, Prince Gustaf was killed in an aeroplane accident near Copenhagen. He was returning from a visit to Princess (later Queen) Juliana and Prince Bernard of the Netherlands.
The aeroplane's rudder wasn't checked, it was locked, because of that, the plane flew straight up 90 degrees up in the sky and after about 45 seconds it fell down and the rest is history.

4. I can not answer that.

5. No answer by the moment, sorry!
Old 11-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Gentry

A very young Prince Gustaf Adolf about 9-10 years old
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PRINCE_GUSTAF_ADOLF_SWEDEN_PHOTOCARD.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	25903  
Old 11-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 29th, 2002 - 2:10 pm
I found these pictures for you

Quote:
Thank you but that was totally unnecessary, because I wanted to post them in chronological order and I want to take care of that by my self please but thanks anyway!!

Now, can you remove your photos? Otherwise I can not continue.
pictures are gone.
Hey, can somebody rule a whole threat so rude, that he or she can command others to get pictures they have placed to be removed! :woot:
Aren't the threads there just for everybody to add text and pics freely?
Old 11-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandra+Nov 9th, 2003 - 3:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandra @ Nov 9th, 2003 - 3:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Josefine@Dec 29th, 2002 - 2:10 pm
I found these pictures for you

Quote:
Thank you but that was totally unnecessary, because I wanted to post them in chronological order and I want to take care of that by my self please but thanks anyway&#33;&#33;

Now, can you remove your photos? Otherwise I can not continue.
pictures are gone.
Hey, can somebody rule a whole threat so rude, that he or she can command others to get pictures they have placed to be removed&#33; :woot:
Aren&#39;t the threads there just for everybody to add text and pics freely? [/b][/quote]
Well of course they are, but you have to understand me, I was trying to build up something. I was just in the middle of posting some of my pictures, suddenly a poster came and posted the pictures in the "wrong" order that day. That&#39;s why I got so upset. I started it, and yes, when someone is in middle of something, you don&#39;t want to be disturbed. I know that she tried to help, but I didn&#39;t need it at that particular moment. Later on, when, I had posted most of my photos, people attached their photos without me saying anything about it.

I&#39;m sorry if anybody is offended, but I stand for what I said.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 27th, 2003 - 11:10 pm

That would be his father, Hjalmar Hammarskjöld who was prime minister of Sweden from 1914-1917.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
In his Scout`s uniform

With Princess Sibylla at Jägersroderby during the 30s.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Majesty

i hope that these has not be posted before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10658585_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	89217   Click image for larger version

Name:	10658771_1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	89218   Click image for larger version

Name:	10658718_1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	89219  
Old 03-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
He died in 1947 in a plane crash in Denmark. She died in 1972 in Sweden. I don't know what she died of, but it wasn't a car crash.
Princess Sybilla died of cancer:(

Any pictures of Prince Gustav Adolf"s funeral? and burial place?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks for these pictures. Carl Gustaf looks more like his mother than his father to me.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a wonderful suprise to find this thread. I noticed that Princess Sibylla wore a long pearl necklace in a few of the pictures. When Silvia got engaged to our King she received a gift of a long pearl necklace from the King's sisters.Could it perhaps be the same necklace?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

At the time of the very unfortunate airplane accident there were rumors that the beautiful young women (I believe she was a performer - singer?) onboard was not just another passenger.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

1.Gustav Adolf looked like Cary Grant, didn't he?
2.Don't you think that inbreeding and selective marriages in the Royal Houses got their highest point in the 1800-early 1900?, all heirs looked much alike, this generation has much more new blood but the recesive features (like the Borbon Nose) are still very prominent
Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
1.Gustav Adolf looked like Cary Grant, didn't he?
2.Don't you think that inbreeding and selective marriages in the Royal Houses got their highest point in the 1800-early 1900?, all heirs looked much alike, this generation has much more new blood but the recesive features (like the Borbon Nose) are still very prominent
I may be wrong but I don't think the Swedish house married much between close relatives back then. I'm sure they were related somehow but Princess Margaretha and Carl Gustaf, his parents, weren't that closely related and Carl Adolf and Sybilla weren't either.

In Norway the Kings married first cousins two generations in a row (Haakon and Olav) , but King Harald, Olav's son looks pretty normal to me.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I may be wrong but I don't think the Swedish house married much between close relatives back then. I'm sure they were related somehow but Princess Margaretha and Carl Gustaf, his parents, weren't that closely related and Carl Adolf and Sybilla weren't either.

In Norway the Kings married first cousins two generations in a row (Haakon and Olav) , but King Harald, Olav's son looks pretty normal to me.
Maybe I didn't make my point clear , in some families (like the Borbon) inbreeding was the norm while the British Royal Family put a lot of their women (mostly) in the other European Kingdoms and the recesive Hannoverian genes show off in many princes and princesses
Old 03-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Swedish royal family. Not to get the thread too offtrack from Carl Adolf, I was aware of inbreeding with the Hapbsburgs who preceded the Bourbons on the throne of Spain but not the Bourbons themselvs.

There's some resemblance between Carl Adolf and his British cousins but not too much. I think the most distinctive British genes came from the descendents of Queen Mary who was a contemporary of Carl's mother, Margareta but he doesn't have any of Queen Mary's genes.

Some physical traits are dominant and are going to appear whether there's inbreeding or not.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Swedish royal family. Not to get the thread too offtrack from Carl Adolf???, I was aware of inbreeding with the Hapbsburgs who preceded the Bourbons on the throne of Spain but not the Bourbons themselvs.

There's some resemblance between Carl Adolf and his British cousins but not too much. I think the most distinctive British genes came from the descendents of Queen Mary who was a contemporary of Carl's mother, Margareta but he doesn't have any of Queen Mary's genes.

Some physical traits are dominant and are going to appear whether there's inbreeding or not.
For example in the Borbons, King Juan Carlos' parents were first cousins and King Alfonso XII married his cousin Maria de las Mercedes de Orleans
Finishing this topic, I think it's time to go back on track with Gustav Adolf
The Swedish royal family really is one of the smallest ones, and at the early 70's the Bernadottes were just King Gustaf Adolf ,Crown Prince Carl Gustav (well Bertil and Carl-Johan were there but each one has its own issues to attend )because the Haga sisters weren't into the throne
Now it's Lilian, Madeleine, CP, Silvia, Carl Gustav and Victoria, so it isn't very big like British or Belgium Families
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Gustav Adolf and Sybilla were closely related, second cousins, I think. GA's mother, Margaret, was first cousins with Sybilla's father, C[h]arl[es] Edward. Margaret's father, Arthur, and Charlie's father, Leopold, were brothers, the younger sons of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. So Gustav Adolf and his wife were about second cousins.