Prince Carl (1861-1951) and Princess Ingeborg (1878-1958) of Sweden and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden:

This thread is about Prince Oscar Carl Vilhelm (Stockholm 27 Febuary 1861-Stockholm 24 October 1951) and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, nee Princess of Denmark (Charlottenlund 2 August 1878-Stockholm 11 March 1958)

Children: Princess Margaretha of Denmark, Crown Princess Märtha of Norway, Queen Astrid of The Belgians and Prince Carl Bernadotte

Parents Carl: King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway and Queen Sofia, nee Princess of Nassau

Parents Ingeborg: King Frederik VIII of Denmark and Queen Louise, nee Princess of Sweden and Norway

Siblings Carl: King Gustav V Adolf of Sweden, Prince Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg and Prince Eugen of Sweden, Duke of Nerike

Siblings Ingeborg: King Christian X of Denmark, King Haakon VII of Norway, Princess Louise of Schaumburg-Lippe, Prince Harald, Princess Thyra, Prince Gustav of Denamark and Princess Dagmar of Denmark, mrs. Castenskiold

untitled.jpg

Note that the pictures posted in post 1-13 are free of copyrights.

Last edited:
Prince Carl of Sweden and Norway, Oscar Carl Vilhelm, Duke of Västergötland (February 27, 1861 – October 24, 1951), was the third son of King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway.

Prince Carl was once considered a candidate to the Norwegian crown during Norway's fight for independence from Sweden in 1905. To elect a prince from Sweden was considered to be a less radical way out of the union, and hence a more peaceful approach. However, King Oscar II of Sweden never approved on this, as he saw the whole "riot" as a betrayal against his rights as King of Norway

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

411px-Prins_Carl2C_Svenskt_portrC3A.jpg
carlsweden1861-6.jpg
180px-Anders_Zorn_-_Prins_Carl_1898.jpg

Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (Ingeborg Charlotte Caroline Frederike; 2 August 1878 - 11 March 1958) was the second daughter and fifth child of King Frederick VIII and Queen Louise of Denmark. She married Prince Prince Carl of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland of Sweden on 27 August 1897.

ingeborgdenmark1878-2.jpg
byanderszorn1900ingeborg.jpg
ingeborgdenmark1878-5.jpg
ingeborgdenmark1878.jpg
carlsweden1861-9.jpg

The couple had 4 children, the first one is Princess Margaretha Sophia Louisa Ingeborg (Stockholm 25 June 1899-Gentofte 3 January 1977); who married in Stockholm 22 May 1919 Prince Axel of Denmark (Copenhagen 12 August 1888-Copenhagen 14 July 1964)

Read more about this princess, her husband and descendants in this TRF thread at the Danish historical Subforum.

margsweden1899-8.jpg

The second child was Princess Märtha Sophia Louisa Dagmar Thyra (Stockholm 28 March 1901-Oslo 5 April 1954); who married in Oslo 21 March 1929 King Olav V of Norway (Appleton House 2 July 1903-Oslo 17 January 1991)

Read more about Crownprincess Martha in this thread at the Norwegian forum of TRF.

10202246_110463267837.jpg

The couples third child was Princess Astrid Sophie Louisa Thyra (Stockholm 17 November 1905-killed in car accident at Küssnacht, Switzerland 29 August 1935); married in Brussels 10 November 1926 King Leopold III of the Belgians (Brussels 3 November 1901-Woluwe-St.Lambert 25 Sepember 1983)

Read more about Queen Astrid in this and this thread at the Belgian Historical Subforum of TRF.

astridplayingtennis.jpg

The couple's fourth child and only son was Prince Carl Gustaf Oscar Fredrik Christian, Duke of Östergötland, renounced his rights and was granted the title Prince Bernadotte by the King of the Belgians 6 July 1937 (Stockholm 10 January 1911-Malaga, Spain 27 June 2003); m.1st Kvillinge 6 July 1937 (div 1951) Countess Elsa von Rosen (Stockholm 7 Febuary 1904- Stockholm 15 April 1991); m.2d Danderyd 1 Nov 1954 (div 1961) Ann Margareta Larsson (Danderyd 22 March 1921-1975); m.3d Rabat 8 June 1978 Kristine Rivelsrud (b.Eidsfoss, Norway 22 April 1932)

Read more about Carl, his wife, daughter and grandchildren in this thread.

carlsweden1911-17.jpg

Prince Carl with his son Carl jr: ................Prince Carl with his grandson, Prince George of Denmark: ....Carl and Ingeborg:

carlencarl.png
carlswedenmergeorgedk.jpg
carlsweden1861-15.jpg

Princess Ingeborg with her children:

Ingeborg and her 3 daughters on a painting: ..........................Ingeborg and her son Carl:

IngeborgDen.jpg
ingeborgcarl.jpg

Ingeborg and her daughters again: .....................................................Ingeborg with Margaretha and Martha: ....Ingeborg & Margaretha:

ingeborgand3daughters.jpg
ingemarthamarg.png
ingeborgundking3ah.png

Some pictures of their children:

Margaretha, Martha and Astrid: ............Martha and Margaretha: ..........................................All four of them:

3sisters4by.jpg
martamargareta.jpg
chica5js.jpg

More pictures of their children:

Astrid and Martha: .............................................................Martha and Margaretha: ............................................Martha and Margaretha again:

astridmartha.jpg
marthaandmargareta2.jpg
marthmarg.jpg

Princess Ingeborg with two of her Danish grandsons: .........Carl, Ingeborg with Josephine-Charlotte and Baudouin of Belgium:

ingeborgenkel7dh.jpg
carlingjoebou.jpg

Princess Ingeborg and her four children: ...............................................................................The entire family:

Ingeborg2.jpg
family0hp.jpg

Ingeborg and Carl: ...........................................................Ingeborg and Astrid:

ingeborgdenmark1878-4.jpg
astridsweden1905-9.jpg

From Getty images, the Swedish RF, on the right Princess Ingeborg with one of her daughters on her lap. behind her is her husband Carl.

Wow wow photo on Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg!!! Beautiful family!!! Prince Carls son Carl was last children to Princess Ingeborg and Prince Carl. Prince Carl and his wife Elsa have one children Madeleine. Prince Carl marriage wife last is Kristine Bernadotte(born Rivelsrud). Princess Kristine is often visit to royal family of Norway and royal family of Sweden. Royal family Bernadotte was relatives to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg. Prince Carl was brother to King Gustav Adolf. Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg was love much with relatives royal family of Sweden and Royal family of Norway,Royal family of Belgium,Royal family of Luxemburg. Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxemburg was grandchildren to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg. King Albert and his brother Bauoduin was grandchildren to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg.

Princess Astrid was daughter to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg. Princess Astrids children was: Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and King Albert(alive),King Baudouin. Princess Märtha was daughter to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg. Princess Märthas children: Princess Astrid,Princess Ragnhild,King Harald of Norway. Princess Margaretha was daughter to Prince Carl and Ingeborg. She have two children was Prince Flemming and Prince George. Prince Carl was son to Prince Carl and Ingeborg. He have one children is Princess Madeleine of Bernadotte. It is cousin: Princess Astrid and Princess Ragnhild,King Harald of Norway, King Albert of Belgium,Princess Madeleine of Bernadotte is alive.

What a nice thread! We need more threads like this in the Swedish RF forum!

Carl and Ingeborg never became king and queen, but they're ancestors to three royal families through their daughters Märta and Astrid: Norway, Belgium and Luxembourg.

A nice picture I found on the internet, Carl, Ingeborg and their eldest daughter

cmi.jpg

Hey, I'm trying to do a report on Prince Carl (the father) any information would be extremely helpful! thanks: Kayla

Help Please

Hi, my name is Kayla, I am a student at Escondido Charter High School and I am trying to do a report on Prince Carl, and I cant seem to find enough information on him and his work with the Swedish Red Cross. I know that he was the president and thats about it. But did you know that he was a laureate for the Nobel Peace Prize?? Well, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some more information on him it would be great help.

Thank you,
Kayla Marie

Which Prince Carl are you talking about? Obviously not the present Prince Carl-Philip.

Ahhh thank you for the info, didn't know a royal had been nominated in the past.

You're welcome, in fact, Prince Carl wasn't the only Royal to be nominated.

Royal nominees:
Tsar Nikolai II of Russia (1901), Prince Carl of Sweden (1919), King Albert I of
Belgium (1922), Emperor Haile Selassi of Ethiopia (1938), King Paul I of Greece
(1950), Princess (and later Queen) Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1951)

Source: Facts on the Nobel Peace Prizes

Nikolai II, peace prize? I never expected that.
Thank you again.

I would say the internet, and whichever books about him, which you can find in your local library, are your best friends in this case.

Photo from court Instagram
"In 1897, Prince Carl married Ingeborg of Denmark. (She was the daughter of King Frederick VIII of Denmark and Queen Louise, who was the daughter of King Karl XV of Sweden). Prince Carl and Ingeborg had four children: Margaretha of Denmark, Märtha of Norway, Astrid of Belgium and Carl.
The picture was taken at the home of Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg, 1929. The newly-engaged Crown Prince Couple Olav and Märtha of Norway can be seen to the right of the picture.
Photograph Atelier Jaeger. Photo from the Bernadotte Library's archive."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO_5_uEB0us/?taken-by=kungahuset

Is it Princess Margareta or Astrid, who we can see in the left corner?

Back
Top Bottom