Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (1912-1997)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
www.corbis.com

A Prince of the North; Latest Studio Portrait. This is a new studio portrait of the next-to-the-youngest son of the Crown Prince Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. The crown prince with his consort Princess Louise are now in this country on a visit and are being entertained at every possible moment. This 14 year old prince is Bertil Gustav Oscar Carl Eugene, duke of Halland and is snow a pupil in the same school as his elder brother Sigvard.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 514
  • dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,623
  • gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3,658
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 853
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 687
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 704
Last edited by a moderator:
who Prince Bertil ? he relative to the Queen Slivia ?

Sara Boyce

He's the Uncle of the present King of Sweden.
He has a terribly romantic past. He was in love with Lillian Craig for years, but didn't marry her for years as his nephew had no heirs, and he was the next in line. He married his wife I believe after the King married his!

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jun 29th, 2003 - 10:28 am
He's the Uncle of the present King of Sweden.
He has a terribly romantic past. He was in love with Lillian Craig for years, but didn't marry her for years as his nephew had no heirs, and he was the next in line. He married his wife I believe after the King married his!
That is correct! They married in december 1976, about six months after Carl Gustaf ´s and Silvia´s wedding. Maybe they knew that Silvia was pregnant at that time, so that they could hope for an heir...

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jun 29th, 2003 - 10:28 pm
He was in love with Lillian Craig for years, but didn't marry her for years as his nephew had no heirs, and he was the next in line.
I don't understand why this should make a difference. Would it have changed anything?

Earlier a swedish prince or princess could not marry a non-royal without loosing their titel and the right to the thrown. For exampel the kings sister Birgitta is the only sister who is in the line to the thrown, this is because she married a prince and her sisters didn´t. Going back in history we have examples like prince Sigvard becoming just a count and the newly deceased prince Carl ( he was granted the prince title from his brother in law, princess Astrid of Belgium was his sister).
With the times changing prince Bertil luckily didn´t loose his title. I don´t know the whole history about all this or the strange compromise about the title "Her Royal Highness Princess Christina, mrs Magnusson" that the kings youngest sister gained. Perhaps someone else could answer the qustion in a better, more correct way?

Thanks Alva. You explained it quite nicely.

I'm guessing this rule still doesn't apply today? I mean if CP Victoria married a commoner, she could still be queen, right? Or if her brother married a commoner, he wouldn't lose his place in line?

No, and Carl Gustaf himself broke the rule by marrying Silvia Sommerlath. I think its all about beeing a bit practical, in reality today they will propably marry commoners.If you applied the old rule, and all of the siblings married commoners, there would be no royal family left. I think that something like the solution Märtha Louise of Norway /Ari Ben/ Maud Angelica would be for the best. The prince/ princess would still be royal but maybe not his/her spouse and the children without a title. Of course, if the reining king/queen didn´t have own heirs then the oldest sibling or nephew/niece would be next to the thrown.
Sadly for us this this gives us little to dream about -I mean becoming prince/princess by marriage. So let us believe that the spouse will have a title- perhaps princess for Prince Carl Philip´s wife ( as well as duchess of Värmland) and duke of Hälsingland-Gästrikland for Madeleines husband to be, wouldn´t that be nice?

Hi again! I got so curious that I did some reading in the constitution and the act of succession ( the right word for it?) from 1979.
The future king or queen (this was new in 1979) is the oldest child (boy or girl) of Carl Gustaf.
The future king/queen must be a member of the Swedish Evangelistic church. If a member of the royal house leaves the evangelistic church that person is not longer in the line of succession.
Olders siblings and their children stand prior in the line than younger siblings and their children.

A prince/princess ( not only CP) must have the King´s and the Parliament´s permission to marry. If he/she doesn´t have it and marry anyway she/he has used the right to the throne for himself/herself and for his/her children.
A prince/ princess of the swedish house must have permission by the King and the Parliament to become a regent in another country even if it is by marriage; without permission he/she has used the right to the swedish throne for himself/herself and for his/her children.
Bye, for this time!

Thanks Alva. That makes it all very clear now. I also think that a similar title should be given to someone who marries a prince/princess etc. and some kind of limited title to their children. In other words, it would be nice to have a royal family be a little more extended than keeping it limited to the immediate family only. ;)

www.corbis.com

-----

what is the house called where he and lilian lived and she still lives in?

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 562
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3,210
Josefine said:
what is the house called where he and lilian lived and she still lives in?
Villa Solbacken. I've already posted this picture of it in Princess Lilian's thread, but since you asked about it, here it is again:

Attachments

• 314357.jpg
    314357.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 737
I remember when you say it but i would like to say a big thank you still

what kind of facts are there about this Villa how large is it how far is it from drottningholm and who lived there before

is it true that carl philip will take over this villa

Josefine said:
what kind of facts are there about this Villa how large is it how far is it from drottningholm and who lived there before

is it true that carl philip will take over this villa
Well I don't think anyone (except maybe Lilian herself and some others perhaps) knows how large the house is... It looks quite big from the outside, but more than that I don't know... The villa is at Djurgården, so the distance is the distance between Djurgården and Drottningholm... I have no idea about the history and previous owners of the house... Maybe someone else can shed some light?

Yes, it's true that Prince Carl Philip will someday live in or somehow use the villa. He inherited it from Prince Bertil at his death, but Prince Lilian will continue to live in the house until she passes away by the special paragraph that was in the will.

Prince Bertil (1912-1997)

Prince Bertil - The Motor Prince

His Royal Highness Bertil Gustaf Oscar Carl Eugen, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Halland, was born on 28 February 1912 in Stockholm as fourth child of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and Crown Princess Margaretha.

Prince Bertil received his upper secondary school education at the boarding school Lundsberg in Värmland, a school with a long tradition of educating royals. After school he continued to the Defence, where he was a navy cadet for many years. Prince Bertil was active in the military ever since a young age; he was even the Swedish Marine Attaché in London for many years during the 1940’s, and later received the military ranks of major general and rear admiral in general and the Air Force, and captain in the Navy. He was also Honorary Colonel of a brigade in his duchy of Halland.

Prince Bertil was a hard working and eager representative for his country, his position as a royal always came first – and his loyalty to the King and country was always impeccable. He was an eager representative for the Swedish trade- and industry, and through his year he headed many official Swedish delegations on trips abroad – and sometimes he even sat at the table during negotiations for large contracts for big Swedish companies. Sports were a great passion for the Prince, and his passion for motorcycles and cars gave him the nickname “motor Prince”. During some years he often competed in motor sports under pseudonym names, and won quite a few prizes too. Boule was another sport Prince Bertil loved, and he was one of the first to really introduce it in Sweden. His passion and work for sports lead him to many leadership positions in Swedish sports, he was Chairman of the Swedish Sports Confederation (1947-1992), the Swedish Olympic Committee (1947-1997), the Royal Automobile Club, the Swedish Shooting Federation, the Swedish Car Sports Federation (1945-1961), the Swedish Golf Federation (1946-1947) and the Swedish Military Sports Federation.

Prince Bertil’s love for sports made him an eager spectator at most of the major sports events, and he always made sure to express his joy to the Swedes that won medals. One classic example is from the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, when swimmer Gunnar Larsson won 400 metres medley – immediately after the victory Prince Bertil ran down to the pool and shook our new champion and frankly said “Dam* it Gunnar, thanks!” and Gunnar replied “thank you yourself”.

After Crown Prince Carl Gustaf’s father passed away, Prince Bertil became a father figure for him, and they remained close throughout his life. The crucial role Prince Bertil had played before the birth of the Crown Prince, when he could’ve been the next King, was something he carried with a great sense of duty – and the country was very thankful to him for sacrificing so much of himself to uphold it. Even after new legislations was passed, that laid down that the only ones who would be in the Line of Succession would be the offspring of the King – the Parliament passed a special amendment that placed Prince Bertil after the King’s children in the Line of Succession – as a special thanks to his devotion to the country. During his whole life, Prince Bertil therefore acted as temporary regent for King Carl XVI Gustaf, and also his own father before that.

Lilian Davies, now Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland, was Prince Bertil’s great love in life. They met during the war in the 1940’s in London when he was the Swedish Marine Attaché there – but due to political reasons, she was a commoner and married to an actor for some time, and Prince Bertil was a crucial person in Sweden as a stand-in for the current King as the Crown Prince was so young – they were not allowed to marry. Eventually Lilian secretly moved in with Prince Bertil in his house on Djurgården in Stockholm. It was not until many years later that Prince Bertil was allowed to marry Lilian, after King Carl XVI’s accession to the throne and the Line of Succession was secured. On 7 December 1976 they were wed in the Palace Chapel at the Drottningholm Palace.

On 5 January 1997, Sweden’s beloved Prince Bertil passed away in their home Villa Solbacken at Djurgården, holding Lilian's hand to the last moment.

Prince Bertil - Pictures Part 1:

Attachments

• 24 Januari 1940 NY.jpg
    24 Januari 1940 NY.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 9 April 1940.jpg
    9 April 1940.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 429
  • 8 Oktober 1935 i Paris.jpg
    8 Oktober 1935 i Paris.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 561
  • 7821346513.jpg
    7821346513.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3,070
  • 7 December 1976.jpg
    7 December 1976.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 890
  • 7 December 1943 i London.jpg
    7 December 1943 i London.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 2 December 1953.jpg
    2 December 1953.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 1973.jpg
    1973.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 16 December 1954.jpg
    16 December 1954.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 449
  • 13568242.jpg
    13568242.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 497

Prince Bertil - Pictures Part 2:

Attachments

• Uppsala 5 Maj 1927.jpg
    Uppsala 5 Maj 1927.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 524
  • testar Mercedes 300 SL 16 November 1954.jpg
    testar Mercedes 300 SL 16 November 1954.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 711
  • Sioux Chief Big Cloud, Minnesota 12 Maj 1958.jpg
    Sioux Chief Big Cloud, Minnesota 12 Maj 1958.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,967
  • Mottagning 1 Maj 1958, här med Chief Justice Earl Warren.jpg
    Mottagning 1 Maj 1958, här med Chief Justice Earl Warren.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 449
  • Med Henry Ford i Michigan 13 Juli 1938.jpg
    Med Henry Ford i Michigan 13 Juli 1938.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Invigning Olypic Equestrian Games 12 Juni 1956.jpg
    Invigning Olypic Equestrian Games 12 Juni 1956.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 821
  • Gustavus Adolphus College i Minnesota 1958.jpg
    Gustavus Adolphus College i Minnesota 1958.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Gustavus Adolphus College i Minnesota 1 Maj 1958.jpg
    Gustavus Adolphus College i Minnesota 1 Maj 1958.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 903411426.jpg
    903411426.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 433
  • Mottagning 1 Maj 1958 Washington DC.jpg
    Mottagning 1 Maj 1958 Washington DC.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 545

Prince Bertil - Pictures Part 3:

Attachments

• Utanför svenska amb 24 Aug 1942.jpg
    Utanför svenska amb 24 Aug 1942.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 477
  • Visit w American Air Force at English base 1944.jpg
    Visit w American Air Force at English base 1944.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 848
  • Bertil spelar boule.jpg
    Bertil spelar boule.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 552
  • Bertil.jpe
    Bertil.jpe
    33 KB · Views: 477
  • Nationaldagen 1994.jpg
    Nationaldagen 1994.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 789
  • Kungaparet med Bertil & Lilian.jpe
    Kungaparet med Bertil & Lilian.jpe
    44.1 KB · Views: 878

Prince Bertil’s funeral - 13 January 1997

The funeral service was held in the Palace Church at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. 600 guests attended, and the Archbishop led the ceremony. After the ceremony, his coffin was taken in procession through Stockholm and out to the Royal Cemetery at Haga.

1 lying-in-state at the Palace Church at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. The coffin is draped in the standard of the Crown Princess (used by royals other than the King and Queen who have their own). The crown on top of the coffin is the crown of the duchy of Halland, Prince Bertil's duchy, 2 the procession to his final rest at Haga, 3-7 from the church ceremony, 8 the procession to his final rest at Haga

Attachments

• Slottskyrkan 5 Januari.jpe
    Slottskyrkan 5 Januari.jpe
    33 KB · Views: 712
  • Begravningsprocession.jpe
    Begravningsprocession.jpe
    55.2 KB · Views: 747
  • Kistan bärs ur kyrkan.jpe
    Kistan bärs ur kyrkan.jpe
    57.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 452368669.jpe
    452368669.jpe
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Kungliga på begravningen.jpe
    Kungliga på begravningen.jpe
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Kungen, Drottningen & Lilian.jpe
    Kungen, Drottningen & Lilian.jpe
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,534
  • Kungafamiljen på begravningen.jpe
    Kungafamiljen på begravningen.jpe
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,924
  • Bertil begravning.jpe
    Bertil begravning.jpe
    59.5 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the photos and the biography of Bertil. He had an interesting life and played a key part in the life of the King and bravo to him for his service to his country.

prince Beril with his mother (who never became queen of sweden) and his siblings you will see princess ingrid later queen ingrid of Denmark

Attachments

• 10649230_1.jpg
    10649230_1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 666
  • 10658090_1.jpg
    10658090_1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 508
  • 10658090_1.jpg
    10658090_1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 470
  • 10658423_1.jpg
    10658423_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
I think Bertil looked a lot like his mother Margareth.

Josefine said:
prince Beril with his mother (who never became queen of sweden) and his siblings you will see princess ingrid later queen ingrid of Denmark
Why didn't she become Queen? :ermm:

Prince Bertil's mother was the Brittish princess Margareth of Connaught. She was our crown princess for thirteen years. She was pregnant when she became sick and died, only thirtyeight years old.

Happy anniversary, Prince Bertil and Princess Lillian :)

I love (then) Crown Prince Gustav Adolf and Crown Princess Margaret's family. Their children were so beautiful, and it's a shame that Margaret died early, she would have made such a wonderful queen, and there would have been another beautiful Swedish baby in the family.

I was just looking at the pictures in this thread, and I was curious if Elizabeth II attended his funeral. There's a woman sitting next to Prince Philip who *could be* her, but her head is down, so it's hard to tell.

That would be some tribute, if she did. She attends very few funerals, especially outside England. (I remember her going to Baudouin's but that's about it.)

I was just looking at the pictures in this thread, and I was curious if Elizabeth II attended his funeral. There's a woman sitting next to Prince Philip who *could be* her, but her head is down, so it's hard to tell.

That would be some tribute, if she did. She attends very few funerals, especially outside England. (I remember her going to Baudouin's but that's about it.)

No it's not Queen Elizabeth. I can not rtecoginze the woman but i think it could be Queen Beatrix.

Last edited:
some pictures of prince bertil from (life) via google but please remember that these photos are for personal non-commercial use only. all pictures are from (life).

LIFE: Swedish prince Bertil (C) talking with J... - Hosted by Google (in the usa 1958 at the swedish embassy).

LIFE: Swedish prince Bertil (R) talking with J... - Hosted by Google (same as above)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (L) with Amb. from Sweden,... - Hosted by Google (in the usa 1958 with the swedish ambassador eric c. boheman)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (L) with Amb. from Sweden,... - Hosted by Google (same as above)

LIFE: Princess Astrid and Prince Bertil in Min... - Hosted by Google (prince bertil with princess astrid in minnesota 1958 for statehood centennial celebration)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (R) talking Princess Astri... - Hosted by Google (with princess astrid at a party in washington dc 1958)

LIFE: Princess Astrid (2L) with Prince Bertil ... - Hosted by Google (with princess astrid in minnesota 1958)

LIFE: Princess Astrid (2R) and Prince Bertil (... - Hosted by Google (with princess astrid and pt eisenhower in washington dc 1958)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (C) talking with Wiley T. ... - Hosted by Google (washington dc 1958)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (C) during press conferenc... - Hosted by Google (during a press conference in minnesota 1958)

LIFE: Prince Bertil, ready to speak after arri... - Hosted by Google (minnesota 1958)

LIFE: Prince Bertil (R) and James H. Vanalen (... - Hosted by Google (going golfing with james vanalen in the usa 1958)

LIFE: (fore L-R) England's Princess Margaret w... - Hosted by Google (king baudouin's wedding in 1961 with princess margaret)

IBL Bildbyrå has made a gallery of Prince Bertil photos, because of 28th February, when comes 100 years from his birth.
Personer - IBL Bildbyrå

Prince Bertil would have had his 100th birthday tomorrow:
Prins Bertil skulle ha fyllt 100 år tisdagen den 28 februari 2012 - Sveriges Kungahus
Google translation

Prince Bertil on his 70th birthday in 1982. He got a lovely painting of princess Lilian as a gift.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Hola! has articles due to Valentine's Day, the love story of Bertil and Lilian
Los príncipes Bertil y Lilian de Suecia, 33 años de espera para poder contraer matrimonio

Back
Top Bottom