Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (1912-1997)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Martin Saarikangas (b. 1937), a finnish shipbuilder and vuorineuvos ("mining counselor"', a Finnish honorary title granted by the President of Finland to leading figures in industry and commerce), was sent as a war child to Sweden during the WWII. He got to a wealthy family who had no children, they took a good care of Saarikangas and he sees his time in Sweden as good and meaningful.
Saarikangas reminisced at a TV-interview on 8th January a Christmas lunch which his swedish family hosted. Among the guests were many dignitaries, also Prince Bertil. He introduced himself as uncle Bertil to little Martin. Bertil had noticed the boy and this sister in the doorway and asked to set the table for them as well. The children were placed on both sides of Bertil.
In the interview, Saarikangas recalls how the dishes and cutlery were placed in front of him. That's when Bertil intervened.
- "I think you don't know how to use these, but uncle teaches", helpful Bertil showed Martin how to use them correctly.
Saarikangas said: "And so Prince Bertil taught me etiquette. I am very proud that I have received royal instruction".
Martin Saarikangas muistelee_ Prinssi Bertil oli ”setä”

American Swedish Institute president presents Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian of Sweden with a copy of the Institute's photo book, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 29th November 1979.
Minnesota Digital Library

Martin Saarikangas (b. 1937), a finnish shipbuilder and vuorineuvos ("mining counselor"', a Finnish honorary title granted by the President of Finland to leading figures in industry and commerce), was sent as a war child to Sweden during the WWII. He got to a wealthy family who had no children, they took a good care of Saarikangas and he sees his time in Sweden as good and meaningful.
Saarikangas reminisced at a TV-interview on 8th January a Christmas lunch which his swedish family hosted. Among the guests were many dignitaries, also Prince Bertil. He introduced himself as uncle Bertil to little Martin. Bertil had noticed the boy and this sister in the doorway and asked to set the table for them as well. The children were placed on both sides of Bertil.
In the interview, Saarikangas recalls how the dishes and cutlery were placed in front of him. That's when Bertil intervened.
- "I think you don't know how to use these, but uncle teaches", helpful Bertil showed Martin how to use them correctly.
Saarikangas said: "And so Prince Bertil taught me etiquette. I am very proud that I have received royal instruction".
Martin Saarikangas muistelee_ Prinssi Bertil oli ”setä”
I can't believe that I missed this story, but it was really cute. :flowers:

The royal ceremonial funeral of Prince Bertil in the Royal Palace Church and the following procession to the Royal Burial Grounds on 13 January 1997

Last edited:
Some people might have thought so, but he was already with Lilian at that point.

Perhaps the Kings of Norway and Sweden were hoping for this union ;)

Back
Top Bottom