The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2003, 03:42 AM
Majesty

Kristina, Queen of Sweden (1626-1689)

facts from this webbiste

1626 December 8, Kristina Wasa was born in Sweden of King Gustav II Adolf and Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg. Her mother was disappointed that she was a girl, especially since the court soothsayers and wise women predicted the child would be a boy. Consequently, she had little or nothing to do with the child. Her father, however, said "She will be a clever girl. She has already deceived all of us." Some reports claim that Kristina accompanied her father on journeys even as an infant and showed delight at the sound of cannon fire.

1630 King Gustav presents Kristina to the Estates as his successor. Kristina is acknowledged as legal sucessor by the states general and the army. Chancellor Oxenstiern installed as head of regency to oversee Sweden until Kristina reaches eighteen and a select group of scholars headed by theologian Johannes Matthiae is chosen to oversee her education. King Gustav commands that Kristina be trained as a prince and then leaves for battle against Ferdinand, Emperor of Austria.

1632 King Gustav is killed at the battle of Lutzen. Kristina's mother confines herself to her room, completely hung in black, reportedly with the King's heart in a golden container. Kristina is crowned queen before the council of rengents and her education commences. All sources agree on her intellectual brilliance. It is reported that Kristina spent twelve hours a day, six in the morning and six in the evening in study. During her minority, she learns to speak German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish and to read Latin. Kristina is also well-trained in the philosophy and leadership of the Stoics through readings of Tacitus, Epictetus, Seneca as well as others. She is also trained in the art of horsemanship, swordwork, and all other aspects of battle and sports.

1640 Queen Kristina, although still a minor, is admitted to council meetings and begins to participate in governance of Sweden.

1644 Kristina comes of age and is crowned again as queen. She begins to oppose Oxenstierna who had already attempted to remove Kristina's power when she was a minor.

1645 Under Kristina's leadership, the first Swedish newspaper is created.

1646 Kristina questions Descartes through letters written by French ambassador, Chanut. She begins the conversation by asking Descartes' about the relative evil of misused love and hate. Chanut adds that this is not in reference to the normal "girl" type of love, but that love ascribed to by philosophers. Descartes replies with an eight page explanation which Kristina dismisses, choosing instead to question his ideas of an infinite God and creation. (see quote at beginning of timeline.)

1648 Kristina was a driving force in ending The Thirty Years' War. This is alternately lauded and condemned by modern scholars, as it was in her time. Some felt she was an advocate for peace; others felt she did her country an extreme injustice by ending the war before they could obtain sufficient war booty. Kristina also begins to assemble a group of scholars at her court. One of the first was Isaac Vossius, who organised the extensive library attained through war booty from the Prauge. Other intellectuals assembled in Kristina's court from 1648-165 3 were Nicholas Heinsius, Claudius Salmsius, Johannes Scheffer, Samuel Bochart and Christian Ravius.

1650 Kristina invites Descartes to Stockholm. He resides with the French Ambassador Chanut and travels an hour each morning to meet with the Queen at 5:00. Chanut contracts pnuemonia and Descartes nurses him back to health. Although Chanut recovers, Descartes falls ill and dies. Kristina is blamed because of her demands on Descartes without consideration of his poor health.

1651 Kristina begins a series of clandestine communications with Jesuits Malines and Casati in which she confesses profound scepticism in the tenants of Lutheran religion. She begins to seriously consider abdicating her throne.

1652 Kristina has a nervous breakdown.

1654 Kristina decides to abdicate. The exact date varies among sources from June 6 to June 16. She names her cousin, Charles X Gustav as her successor. One story says that her adherents in court refuse to remove her crown, so she removes it herself and places it on Gustav's head. She leaves Sweden immediately with her personal possessions and court women. As soon as Kristina crosses out of Sweden, she sends her women back, dons men's clothing, and according to one romantic account, rides a "white charger" throughout her lengthy tour of Europe.

1655 Kristina converts to Catholicism. In December, she is received by Pope Alexamder VII in Rome. There are several accounts, however, that indicate Kristina maintained a deep scepticism regarding religion.

1656 Kristina holds an academy in France to discuss problems concerning the nature of love.

1657 Kristina attempts to seize Naples with the intention of becoming Queen. She visits Fontainebleau, and conducts chemcial experiments. Also while in Fontainebleau, Kristina learns that her servant, Marchese Gian Rinaldo Monaldeschi betrayed her plans to seize Naples to the Pope. She has Monaldeschi killed in her presence after having last rites of absolution given to him. The European world is horrified, but Kristina claims her sovereign authority. Consequently, the Pope does not welcome Kristina upon her return to Rome.

1660 Kristina visits her estates in Sweden and studies the theory of the philosopher's stone.

1666 Kristina studies astronomy with Lubenitz.

1667 Kristina returns to Sweden to attempt to gain the right to rule Poland. She fails in her attempt and returns to settle permanently in Rome.

1668 Kristina installs an observatory in her palace complete with two astronomers. She publishes a letter on tolerance of the French Huguenots in Pierre Bayle's Nouvelles de la Republique des Lettres and writes a manifesto defending the Jews of Rome.

1670 Les Sentiments Heroiques and L'Ouvrage de Lisir: Les Sentiments Raisonnables, a two set collection of maxims begin in letter form. They are posthumously published along with her unfinished autobiography.

1674 Kristina holds Academia Reale which included physiologist Giovanni Borelli and astronomer-mathematician Cassini. She becomes and remains a strong patroness of the arts. She founds an academy for philosophy and literature, is an instigator in the opening of the first public opera house in Rome, and sponsors Alessandro Scarlatti and Arcangelo Corelli.

1680 Kristina commissions art historian Filippo Baldinucci to write a biography on sculptor and architect, Giovanni Bernini to refute a campaign to discredit him. Kristina continues to support the arts and philosophy until her death.

1689 April 19. Kristina dies and is buried in Rome.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:46 AM
Majesty

http://www.pinocchia.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	33381  

Old 12-29-2003, 03:47 AM
Majesty

MOTTOES OF THE QUEEN OF SWEDEN
Kristina 1632 - 1654
Wisdom is the prop of the realm
Old 12-29-2003, 04:33 AM
Majesty

thi sis a site you have to take a look at..... pictures from the movie Queen Christina with Greta Garbo
Old 12-29-2003, 04:38 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Nice photo of Greta. Too bad the film was in black and white. Okay. The other photos are in black and white.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

wasnt she buried in the Vatican if so are any other royals buried there
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
wasnt she buried in the Vatican if so are any other royals buried there
Queen Christina is buried in the crypt of St. Peter's Basilica, alongside the remains of the popes. She is the only woman to have received this great honour.

There's a great article about Christina and her life which I really recommend (published on the website of the official gateway of Sweden), you can find it here.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

This is a picture of Christina's grave in St Peter's basilica. I apologize for the bad quality.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9766/imgp10704qh.jpg
Old 01-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Nobility

I saw movie with Greta Garbo and became interested in this Queen
This thread is great help to me in my research Thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Few more about Chritina:
- http://womenshistory.about.com/od/ru..._christina.htm
- http://departments.kings.edu/womens_...christina.html
- http://www.levity.com/alchemy/queen_christina.html
- http://asv.vatican.va/en/doc/1654.htm

Btw. I like this movie with GG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024481/
Old 01-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofcelts
I saw movie with Greta Garbo and became interested in this Queen.
I've seen that movie too, and interestingly enough, Greta Garbo managed to look a whole lot like Christina (who by the way is the woman in my avatar), even though you wouldn't think so from the beginning. But I think their noses looked kind of similar. LOL. Other than that, I'm just going to say, that the movie was historically correct sometimes and at other times not.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Interesting Furienna. Queen Christina was one of my favorite movies and I always wondered how close it came to reality.

What do you think were the big deviations the movie took from real life?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

Well, of course, the only big deviation was the love affair with that Spanish ambassador, which became a big part of the movie. Other than that, it was correct enough.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Christina- wouldn't want to mess with her!

I was jsut reading about Queen Christina who ruled Sweden for 10 years I think, in the 1600's. What a strange woman!

She abdicated her throne to become Catholic and was reported to be very rude and outrageous. She also dressed in mens clothes. She had one of her 'counts' murdered in front of her and apparently murdered all her lovers once she tired of them.

I know she also outraged King Louis mother Queen Anne of France by her manish and outrageous behavior. I read she would yawn during plays much to the french queens anger. Christina also would sit down and slump her loeg over the arm of the chair like a man might do.

Apparentley she had a lesbian relationship with a woman named Madamemoselle who was to marry the French prince. She also was thought to hasten Descartes death by making him appear at court at 5 in the morning in the cold to teach her philiosophy and he was clearly not well and Christina didnt care. He died soon of pnemonia.

She also wanted to seize Naples and Poland and become their Queen but her plan was ruined by one of her aides.

What a character!
Christina of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Queen Christina of Sweden by Torrey Philemon, Tracy Marks

the book i read was just called Queen Christina.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Courtier

Out of all the Swedish monarchs of the past Christina is the only one I know about.
I remember reading about and how she abdicated to convert to Roman Catholicism but
did not know she had male characteristics or she was unthoughful and very mean to
other people.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I watched a TV program "Devil's Bible" (also known as the Codex gigas), which is kept in the National Library of Sweden, on National Geographic Channel. I found it amazing that Queen Kristina made drastic changes in her life such as renouncing her faith and self-exile in Rome after she received the Codex gigas as a part of the looted things that belonged to Rudolf II. It was suggested that the above-mentioned book might have had an impact on Queen Kristina's actions.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Could you tell us more about the book? I've never heard of it. Kristina was pretty unconventional all her life so though the book may have had an impact on her actions, her actions also fit with her previous life. She was never a typical queen of that era.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is information about the book:
Codex Gigas - Kungl. biblioteket
Codex Gigas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/devil-s-bible-3619/?source=4003 (web-page devoted to Devil's Bible on the National Geographic Channel site)
http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2008/12/codex-gigas-devils-bible-on-air.html?showComment=1229187360000 (the blog discussion about the book)
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post

That's a nice portrait of her I hadn't seen. It makes her look prettier than usual, indeed she wasn't a beauty but this portrait is perhaps idealized. It shows her in the typical women's clothing for the era which the other portraits I've seen of her such as Furienna's profile pic don't show so much. Typically, she liked to wear plainer clothing than seen here I believe. Thanks for the info on the book, Al_bina.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I watched a TV program "Devil's Bible" (also known as the Codex gigas), which is kept in the National Library of Sweden, on National Geographic Channel. I found it amazing that Queen Kristina made drastic changes in her life such as renouncing her faith and self-exile in Rome after she received the Codex gigas as a part of the looted things that belonged to Rudolf II. It was suggested that the above-mentioned book might have had an impact on Queen Kristina's actions.
I've watched the same documentary few days ago! Christina was supposedly amazed by the Codex gigas, but she didn't take it with her when she left Sweden. It's true that she left in a hurry, but she did take lots of other Bibles with her. So why did she leave Codex gigas?