Kristina, Queen of Sweden (1626-1689)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In an article I've read that Kristina had an illegitimate child.Is that true?

It was interesting to learn that plans for Christina's marriage were in place in 1630, when she was only four years old.
Her proposed husband was her first cousin, Friedrich Wilhelm.
The marriage did not occur.

Queen Christina abdicated her throne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY6mYYQ7v04

Last edited by a moderator:
When was Kristina born? Died? Succeeded her precessor? I have heard that she abdicated. When did she abdicate and why? What was her full name? Lots of questions. :)

She was born in 1626 and died in 1689. She was only six years old when her father died in 1632, so she was technically queen from then on. But she couldn't rule until 1644, when she turned eighteen. She seems to have abdicated because she wanted to convert to Catholicism (and the law back then simply wouldn't allow a Swedish monarch to be a Catholic). She did that in 1654. "Kristina" seems to have been her only name until she converted to Catholicism, when she became "Christina Alexandra".

Last edited:
It was interesting to learn that plans for Christina's marriage were in place in 1630, when she was only four years old.
Her proposed husband was her first cousin, Friedrich Wilhelm.
The marriage did not occur.

It seems to have been discussed for 15 years or so. He was Elector of Brandenberg, his father and her mother were siblings. He would marry twice. His first wife was Luisa of Nassau, a younger sister of William II (husband of Charles I's daughter Mary Stewart and himself father of William III, husband of Mary II). His second was Sophia Dorothea of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. He had 13 children, 8 of whom lived to adulthood.

She was also rumored to be at one time intended to marry her cousin and future successor Charles. But when he was away with the army for 3 years she became more devout. She was drawn to the Catholic ideal of chastity and decided against marriage at all. Eventually he became king, with her backing, just as monarch not consort. His mother Catherine was Christina's father's older half-sister. Catherine was her guardian for a few years after her father died. Catherine and her brother had been extremely close. He would marry Hedwig Eleanora of Holstein-Gottorp, mother of his one son Charles. Hedwig's sister Augusta married Charles' nephew (Christina Magdalena's son) Friedrich VII. Augusta's daughter Albertine was the mother of Adolph Frederick who eventually succeeded to the throne of Sweden.

Last edited:
Queen Kristina on the cover of Historiskan
http://www.historiskan.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/historiskan32016.jpg

Historiskan is issued by Malmö-based Systerskapet AB, which wants to offer a counterweight to the male historiography by putting the woman of history in focus.
The creators behind Historiskan are journalists Eva Bonde and Jennie Lindholm, who in autumn 2013 had the idea to start a history newspaper in which women are not marginalized or made invisible but can take the place they deserve.

I think i read about Kristina in a book I had about crazy monarchs; her inclusion in the book was laughable as were a few others who clearly weren't crazy but just unconventional.
It'd sad that in her time she had to conform but in our modern time as well. She can't be praised for being a strong smart female who refused to marry and wore boys clothes because she knew the world would value her more if she was a man; but instead movie makers have to make her a lesbian to explain her uniqueness. And on top of that they portray her in film as pretty when she was anything but... I like that she wasn't physically appealing.

Kristina was indeed not crazy, and I too really wonder why she would have been included in that book. But yeah, I guess that some people don't see the line between being unconventional and being crazy. I don't feel that she has always been portrayed as a Lesbian though. She's in love with a man in the Greta Garbo movie, and my own experience is that most writers don't talk about her sexuality at all.

Last edited:
The Nationalmuseum has acquired a drawing by François Chauveau depicting the procession of Queen Kristina’s solemn entry into Paris on 8 September 1656. She was then at the height of her sovereign fame and large crowds of people had gathered on the streets of the city to get a glimpse of the Queen. Until now, the drawing has been part of a private art collection in France.
New acquisition_ A 15th century drawing by François Chavueau of... - Nationalmuseum Sweden

Christina (Swedish: Kristina; 18 December 1626 – 19 April 1689), a member of the House of Vasa, was Queen of Sweden from 1632 until her abdication in 1654. She succeeded her father Gustavus Adolphus upon his death at the Battle of Lützen, but began ruling the Swedish Empire when she reached the age of eighteen in 1644.

The Swedish queen is remembered as one of the most learned women of the 17th century. She was fond of books, manuscripts, paintings, and sculptures. With her interest in religion, philosophy, mathematics and alchemy, she attracted many scientists to Stockholm, wanting the city to become the "Athens of the North". The Peace of Westphalia allowed her to establish an academy or university when and wherever she wanted.

In 1644 she began issuing copper in lumps as large as fifteen kilograms to serve as currency. Christina's financial extravagance brought the state to the verge of bankruptcy, and the financial difficulties caused public unrest. Christina argued for peace to end the Thirty Years' War and received indemnity. Meanwhile she caused a scandal when she decided not to marry, and when she converted to Catholicism secretly in Brussels and publicly in Innsbruck. The "Minerva of the North" relinquished the throne to her cousin, and settled in Rome.

Pope Alexander VII described Christina as "a queen without a realm, a Christian without faith, and a woman without shame." Notwithstanding, she played a leading part in the theatrical and musical community and protected many Baroque artists, composers, and musicians.

Being the guest of five consecutive popes, and a symbol of the Counter Reformation, Christina is one of the few women buried in the Vatican grotto. Her unconventional lifestyle and masculine dressing have been featured in countless novels, plays, operas, and film. In all the biographies about Christina, her gender and cultural identity play an important role.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina,_Queen_of_Sweden#Marriage_issue

Its a wonder that no one recently has produced a TV miniseries on the life of the queen.

Articles at the website of the Royal Palaces

Kristina – a controversial queen
Queen Kristina's coronation was highly controversial. She chose not to be crowned in the traditional location, and refused to wear the Queen's Crown. The most expensive coronation in Swedish history ended with a scandal.
Kristina – a controversial queen - Kungliga slotten
Kristina – en kontroversiell drottning - Kungliga slotten

History’s grandest coronation procession
Queen Kristina's coronation in 1650 was one of the most lavish and most attention drawing coronations in Swedish history. Enormous orders were made in Paris several years prior to the event.
History’s grandest coronation procession - Kungliga slotten
Historiens pampigaste kröningståg - Kungliga slotten

The Hall of State at the Royal Palace of Stockholm is home to one of the most poignant objects in Swedish history: Queen Kristina's silver throne.
The Silver Throne - Kungliga slotten
Silvertronen - Kungliga slotten

Last edited:
Its a wonder that no one recently has produced a TV miniseries on the life of the queen.
There was a film made about Queen Kristina in 2015 called The Girl King. It's mainly in English so maybe worth looking for.

There was a film made about Queen Kristina in 2015 called The Girl King. It's mainly in English so maybe worth looking for.
It is very much worth a look. :flowers:

Interestingly, this thread is bumped just as I'm reading a book about Queen Kristina.
It is really good, but it's really sad that she seems to have looked down at other women for being weak.
And I guess that a lot of that can be blamed on her bad relationship with her mother.

Back
Top Bottom