The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Queen Christina abdicated her throne.
Ah yes, that movie! I saw it once many years ago.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Review of the recent movie The Girl King

'The Girl King' gives Queen Christina of Sweden some modern due

Review: 'The Girl King' gives Queen Christina of Sweden and her independent spirit some modern due - LA Times

Old 09-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Kristina on the cover of Historiskan
http://www.historiskan.se/wp-content...iskan32016.jpg

Historiskan is issued by Malmö-based Systerskapet AB, which wants to offer a counterweight to the male historiography by putting the woman of history in focus.
The creators behind Historiskan are journalists Eva Bonde and Jennie Lindholm, who in autumn 2013 had the idea to start a history newspaper in which women are not marginalized or made invisible but can take the place they deserve.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think i read about Kristina in a book I had about crazy monarchs; her inclusion in the book was laughable as were a few others who clearly weren't crazy but just unconventional.
It'd sad that in her time she had to conform but in our modern time as well. She can't be praised for being a strong smart female who refused to marry and wore boys clothes because she knew the world would value her more if she was a man; but instead movie makers have to make her a lesbian to explain her uniqueness. And on top of that they portray her in film as pretty when she was anything but... I like that she wasn't physically appealing.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness

Kristina was indeed not crazy, and I too really wonder why she would have been included in that book. But yeah, I guess that some people don't see the line between being unconventional and being crazy. I don't feel that she has always been portrayed as a Lesbian though. She's in love with a man in the Greta Garbo movie, and my own experience is that most writers don't talk about her sexuality at all.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Kristina's remains are buried at the papal crypt at the Vatican,its a wonder they were never returned to Sweden.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...an_%282%29.jpg