The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I've watched the same documentary few days ago! Christina was supposedly amazed by the Codex gigas, but she didn't take it with her when she left Sweden. It's true that she left in a hurry, but she did take lots of other Bibles with her. So why did she leave Codex gigas?
I have a German Bible printed in 1649 that has handwritten Latin on the back of the title page that I am in the process of translating. The translation makes me think that it must have belonged to Christina or her Library at some point in time. Here are the first three lines and my crude translation:
"Hac Christina Regina Swecia quesam Lutheran ac Sector prop gratia"
Here Christina Queen Sweden investigation Lutheran and Sector to extend thanks

"clam sanieum fidem edocta. Vindico prius conjugio Proli Gustavi Lalatini in 1653."
in secret sound mind true informed. Delivered before wedlock Proli Gustavi Lalatini in 1653. (Illegitimate half brother Gustav died in 1653)

"deim abdico patern’s Ergro a June 54, ut liberise 5 orbnode am resigionena amplur"
next abdicated father’s throne in June 1654, (with children 5) on the 5th day (sum) resigning honorablely

Does anyone know anything about Christina having this Bible and did it travel to Rome with her (it is a Martin Luther translation so it might not have been welcome there)?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

That's interesting. I don't know what to believe. You should show it to some experts.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
That's interesting. I don't know what to believe. You should show it to some experts.
I have contacted the Royal Library in Sweden and asked them to compare the handwriting with their samples, so maybe I will learn something from that. Also getting a graduate student at Indiana University to help me with translation as I am stalling out.
red_ella
Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

That's good.

How did you get your hands on that bible anyway? Such old bibles can't be easy to find.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's good.

How did you get your hands on that bible anyway? Such old bibles can't be easy to find.
I sell many things on eBay, see ended listing for Seller red_ella. After selling some large ticket items for a friend I walk with every morning, he came up with this old Bible to sell. At first he told me that it was Queen Isabella's Bible, so I started doing research on her. It was possible I thought as she championed the Book of Hours. Well when he delivered the Bible to me he thought that it was in Latin, but I soon found that it was a German Bible. A call to "The largest ancient Bible seller in the world" (I won't name the company) told me that the most I could get for a old German Bible was a few hundred dollars and go sell it on eBay. So I listed it there with no offers for some time. Then with more investigation found that it was a early edition 1649 printing date (MCDXLIX) of the Bible, a Martin Luther translation Bible that was authored by Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha and printed by Wolfgang Endterin in Nuremberg Germany. 14 versions of this Bible were to be produced in the years between 1641 and 1758. The Bible we have may be called the Detmold edition of 1649.
See the ended Ebay listing and you will see the photos I took.
So as we started to translate the owner's notes and other writing in the Bible (notes are in Latin), we discovered the Queen was Kristina of Sweden and so I took it off eBay until we sort it all out. The owner I am selling it for had purchased it of a guy who was facing serious surgery and needed the cash. Do not know how much was paid, but it was probably not a large sum.
red_ella
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

Wow... I can't believe you can sell and buy old bibles on E-bay!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Wow... I can't believe you can sell and buy old bibles on E-bay!
Yes, I saw two other Bibles just like this one, but like 1710, and 1770, on the Polish eBay and one other eBay that sold for about 650 euros, but this one is older and has the connection to Kristina (I hope). Did you see my photos?
red_ella
Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM

I got news from Stockholm today on the "Christina Bible". Here is most of the letter:

"The so called Kurfürstenbibel you are curious about was an ambitious project. By including a glossary explaining difficult words and passages it was aimed for the enlightenment of “ordinary people”. It is doubtful whether ordinary people could actually afford this expensive folio volume, but it was nevertheless printed in 14 editions between 1641 and 1768. In our collections we keep we keep at least six of these editions.

You can read more about the history of this Bible here:

Die "Kurfürstenbibel" des Wolfgang Endter aus Nürnberg (1649)

Concerning your question I have been able to establish that the very edition you are asking about was actually owned by Queen Christina. In Isaac Vossius’s handwritten catalogue of her books it is labelled thus under Folio:

“Mart. Luthers Biblis, auff Verordnung Hertzog Ernsts. Nürnberg 1649”

I have also examined the 1649 edition we keep in our collections, which is erroneously catalogued as a 1641 edition http://platen.kb.se/kb-platen/servle...8161&Scale=1.0. As you might know Queen Christina brought a large part of her book collection to Rome after her abdication and a great deal of the remainder was destroyed when the Royal Castle burnt to the ground in 1697. I have not been able to establish for certain that the 1649 edition we still keep in our collections is the actual volume once owned by Christina, but it does not seem improbable.

Be that as it may, both the 1649 and the 1652 edition that we keep have an engraved portrait of Queen Christina following next to the title page. In other words, it would have been placed on the right-hand side of the very same spread where your note is to be found on the left. I do not know whether the portrait of her was pasted only into copies destined for Swedish consumers, but it was a fairly common practice to customize books for different markets.

You do not mention any portrait in your copy but it could very well have been cut out, also a common practice in old books. The handwritten text of your copy is obviously a discussion on Queen Christina’s life and to me it seems probable that a former owner has written down an account of her deeds as a commentary to a portrait that was once found on the same opening.

I have no way to form an opinion on the hand, besides that it seems quite skilled and that the text is written in italics. However, it could not be the hand of Queen Christina or Isaac Vossius, as you suggest in your other e-mail, since her death in 1689 is recorded in the text and Vossius died already two months before her.

I hope that this answers your questions but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more queries.

Sincerely,"

(name omitted)

So it is back to translating the Latin to see what other clues I can get as to who it really belonged to,. or where it has been all these years. I think the next step will be to inquire where it was printed in Germany. They may have records as to how many special "Christina Bibles" were printed. I now know there were at least two printed in 1649 and one in 1652. Anyone else know of any others?
red_ella
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

It's nice to know, that you've gotten a reply. It's all very interesting.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Translation of the Latin writing in the 1649 Bible

"This Christina, Queen of Sweden, once fought for the Sect of the Lutherans, secretly learned in the holy faith, was intended previously to be the wife of Carl Gustav, Count of the Palatine, until 1653. Then, following the abdication of her paternal dignity in 1654, so that she could more freely embrace and openly confess the orthodox Religion, since she was not sworn to heresy, she publicly professed the Catholic faith. Brought to (Rome?), she went to the sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin, and she completed the remainder of her trip at a slow pace. She was brought before the crown and scepter of the most perfect queen of heaven (?). When this devotion was completed, she moved to Rome, where she laudably spent 34 years altogether, and died piously into the lord at the age 63, in 1689. She was honorably buried in the Vatican sanctuary, which honor is associated to none aside from the highest pontifices, with the exception of the very great virgins, and these were queens: Mathilda and this Christina were given the honor. Therefore, it is not that Lutherans can be proud of such a head, and by their own bibles of the same monarch against something splendid or authoritative, may they obtain by prayer [the path] out of their errors."
Are there any clues as to who may have written this? and when? Ownership of the Bible?
A Catholic after 1689 is about as far as I can go with this.
Red_Ella
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

In an article I've read that Kristina had an illegitimate child.Is that true?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

No, I don't think so.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

An exhibition at the Royal Armoury "Bilder av Kristina" (Images of Kristina) from 19th April until 5th January 2014. Princess Christina inaugurated the exhibition yesterday.
A few photos from the exhibition
Nya bilder av en gåtfull drottning - DN.SE
Images of Christina | Livrustkammaren