The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Swedish Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Aristocracy

Does anybody know how Oscar and Sofia met? Of course all was arranged but I have read that it was some ordeal to get acceptable candidates for the Bernadotte´s at that time, as it was generally considered a parvenu dynasty. Prince Frederik of Holland was the first sheep over the bridge of course, when he let his daughter Luise marry Carl.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Serene Highness

Well, really, for a princess of a small princinpality like Nassau, marrying the heir presumtive of Sweden and Norway can't have been that bad. But you're right. Many other royals didn't think the Bernadottes were real royals yet at the time.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A nice picture of Queen Sophia in 1902, with two of her grandchildren...

Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Aaah... But who are the grandchildren?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Nobility

It is Prince Carls daughters Margaretha and Märtha.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

Today it's 99 years since queen Sofia of Sweden died. The marriage between Sophie (as she herself preferred her name) and Oscar was not completely arranged, the couple met in 1856 at the home of Sophie's half-sister Marie, princess of Wied, and the couple was allowed to decide whether they wanted to get married on the basis of their feelings, and the marriage was considered to be a happy one (for most of the time).

Sophie was a popular queen, also in Norway, which was a part of the Swedish kingdom and she spent much time there. She was involved in many social projects, and also in the nursing profession and she founded the hospital Sophiahemmet in 1887, still known for its education of nurses.

She became a widow in 1907, and retired mostly from public life. Her last appearance was on December 3, 1913, when 15 students was to be installed as Sophia nurses, one of them was her granddaughter Maria Bernadotte af Wisborg.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know if anybody has said this yet in this thread, but Sophia's brother became the first grandduke of Luxembourg. So the Swedish royal family and the Luxembourg royal family are distant like 4th or 5th cousins.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I don't know if anybody has said this yet in this thread, but Sophia's brother became the first grandduke of Luxembourg. So the Swedish royal family and the Luxembourg royal family are distant like 4th or 5th cousins.
He wasn't the first Grand Duke of Luxembourg,he was the first monarch of Luxembourg from the House of Nassau-Weilburg.

Prior to that William I,II and III of the Netherlands held the title Grand Duke of Luxembourg.Upon the death of William III it passed to Adolphe in accordance to the Salic law which bypassed Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Serene Highness

Right... But he was the first monarch of Luxembourg of his dynasty.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Right... But he was the first monarch of Luxembourg of his dynasty.
Yes I believe that is what I wrote above,he was the first monarch of Luxembourg from the House of Nassau-Weilburg.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 PM

Royal Family China

Hello - I'm looking for some information if anyone is knowledable on the subject of royal china I would love to hear back from you.
I have a teacup that has no markings of a maker on it. I've been told throughout my life that it came from Sweden with an ancestor of mine who was a maid to the royal family. The picture on the teacup is that of Oscar II. The time frame matches up to when my ancestor would have travelled to the United States (either with the royal family or after her service to them- I don't know). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is indeed possible that I have a piece of the china from the Royal Family during Oscar II's reign. Is this what it would have looked like? Did the king have his image on the china?
There is a link below to the picture of the teacup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	289146  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Serene Highness

That sure is Oscar II on the cup. But that's also as much as I can help you.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Royal Highness

It's a very interesting tea cup. I don't think the the royal family would use such china themselves. It's probably something that was produced as gifts or even an early form of merchandizing.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
It's a very interesting tea cup. I don't think the the royal family would use such china themselves. It's probably something that was produced as gifts or even an early form of merchandizing.
I guess you're right, but surely it's not impossible that a maid got such a gift, when she quit her job for the royal family? I don't know...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I guess you're right, but surely it's not impossible that a maid got such a gift, when she quit her job for the royal family? I don't know...
Oh yes, it is possible that the maid received it as a gift from their imployers. I just wanted to say that this kind of china wasn't something the royals used themselves. Much rather they had this kind of souvenir specially made, so that they had some giveaways .

The royal china was certainly the best of it's kind, very delicate, gold rimmed, with markings from the very best manufacturers, etc.

This teacup and saucer have no markings, as Royalmaid said. So I'd say that it was not first class china but something more economical. Still, afeik at the time even simple china was something of a treasure for normal people.

Maybe it was also possible to purchase these things, but I'm just speculating. Is there something like an antique china forum out there on the net? That might be a way to learn more .
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Thank you.

Thanks to all for your interest. I just discovered that I also have Queen Sofia's teacup as well. This one is marked but very lightly. Best I can make out it say 'Johan Ekolsen Estate' with a simple flower design in middle.
Does this add any more information that someone might know something more about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	289315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	289316  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

My guess is that the cups are commemorative objects made to the silver jubilee of king Oscar II in 1897.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 PM

This information and all of these pictures are great! Do you happen to know who Queen Sofia's (1836-1913) ladies-in-waiting were? If so, could you list their names? Thanks much!

Tags
biography, history, oscar ii, queen sofia (1836-1913), sofia of sweden and norway, sophia of nassau, sweden and norway