King Gustaf VI Adolf (1882-1973)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one who thinks he became better-looking as he was older?

To me, he's always given the impression of being a very smart man (which of course he was). It seems like none of his descendants really picked up the intellectual bent (?) Queen Margrethe has the archeological mania and the multi talents, but not quite the professorial attitude.

Louise's reaction to realizing he might want to marry her always makes me want to laugh. :lol:

Thanks, LF.

I always though Gustaf spoke English with a rather English accent (accented with Swedish). ;)
At least that is my impression from certain videos.

King Gustaf VI Adolf in England (1954)

Accession of King Gustav VI Adolf (1950)

That's some enthusiastic crowd.

I wonder if Carl Gustav remembers this?

The current king would have been just 4 and had lost his father aged just 1 and from what I've read his grandfather was a popular king!

The current king would have been just 4 and had lost his father aged just 1 and from what I've read his grandfather was a popular king!

As he was there in the video being held by his grandfather and that was a very exceptional occasion, I wonder if CG doesn’t remember something. But I’m sure one of our Swedish experts has more insight.

He has never talked publicly about his grandfathers accession... Had he remembered it, he would have talked about it... They were very close...

Did Queen Louise learn Swedish quickly? Just curious.

I have heard a radio recording of Louise speaking swedish when she was still Crown Princess, and she spoke it almost fluently with an (for our time) old fashioned dialect...

She was fluent/almost native in at least German and possibly spoke something else in addition to English, so that probably helped with Swedish.

She was fluent/almost native in at least German and possibly spoke something else in addition to English, so that probably helped with Swedish.

has the king ever spoken about his grandfather ? GA from what ive read and seen in the interviews with his grandaughters (Of denmark) he seems like a loving father /grandfather

Royal expert Roger Lundgren's article
Gustaf VI Adolf: The old King saved Sweden's monarchy
This autumn it is 50 years since King Gustaf VI Adolf fell asleep, aged 91. Despite a life with many personal tragedies, he was a dutiful monarch who served Sweden to the end. Many believe that the monarchy still exists in Sweden thanks to the old King's personal qualities.
Gustaf VI Adolf_ Gamle kungen räddade Sveriges monarki
Translation

Back
Top Bottom