The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Swedish Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
On Grand Ladies website, SUBALBUM on Victoria of Baden mentioned:

Victoria of Baden made immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy by her opposition to progressive forces in Sweden and her pro-German policies during World War I and, probably, with her Prussian demeanor.

She sure did. Just saying her name would get my dear, sweet old grandfather going for quite a while and he wasn't even born until 1928. She definitely wasn't a popular person.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
On Grand Ladies website, SUBALBUM on Victoria of Baden mentioned:

Victoria of Baden made immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy by her opposition to progressive forces in Sweden and her pro-German policies during World War I and, probably, with her Prussian demeanor.
I'm a bit confused by the flowers icons (especially in combination with the post of JR76); am i right to conclude that her "immense contribution" was in a negative way?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I'm a bit confused by the flowers icons (especially in combination with the post of JR76); am i right to conclude that her "immense contribution" was in a negative way?
Victoria of Baden's immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy was in a positive way.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Victoria of Baden's immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy was in a positive way.
She was pro-german during a war against germany, she spend very little time in her country (Sweden) and she was opposed to people trying to make changes in Sweden (and as JR said, she was very unpopular with the Swedes).
How was her contribution to a constitutional monarchy positiv?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
She was pro-german during a war against germany, she spend very little time in her country (Sweden) and she was opposed to people trying to make changes in Sweden (and as JR said, she was very unpopular with the Swedes).
How was her contribution to a constitutional monarchy positiv?

By being a negative and much disliked person she provided the spark that people needed to change things. At least that's how I'm reading it.

By that regards, Napoleon III had a positive influence on French republicanism.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I read it the same way, by opposing to such changes she made them felt to be even more necessary. But just like Napoleon III's contributions to French republicanism, I don't think that such contributions were voluntary.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Okay, this i understand but i don't think she'd be happy that we consider her a positive influence on something she didn't want to happen
i guess i was just confused by the flower icons
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Courtier

There's a saying that it was Gustav V's embroidering that kept the swedes out of the war. Whenever Victoria would start nagging him about Germany and the war he would bend over his needlework and say "Not now Victoria, I'm counting" until she stopped and went away.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
There's a saying that it was Gustav V's embroidering that kept the swedes out of the war. Whenever Victoria would start nagging him about Germany and the war he would bend over his needlework and say "Not now Victoria, I'm counting" until she stopped and went away.
"Make embroidery not war"
Must have been a difficult situation for him, but incredibly annoying for her that he brushed her off
Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Must have been a difficult situation for him, but incredibly annoying for her that he brushed her off

She was a tough cookie so I'm sure she could take it.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

can't imagine what would happen if one of the presentday Queens would do what this Queen Victoria did and be away from her country a karge part of the time...the media would have a field day...

Truely a different aera..
Old 04-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Victoria
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Photo is from Tradera
KRONPRINSESSAN & DROTTNINGEN VICTORIA Konsttryck duk på Tradera.com -
Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Gustaf V met with King Haakon VII and King Christian X.

Tags
baden, gustav v, king gustav v, queen viktoria, swedish royal history, swedish royalty