King Gustaf V (1858-1950) and Victoria of Baden (1862-1930)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Victoria of Baden's immense contributions to making Sweden a constitutional monarchy was in a positive way.

She was pro-german during a war against germany, she spend very little time in her country (Sweden) and she was opposed to people trying to make changes in Sweden (and as JR said, she was very unpopular with the Swedes).
How was her contribution to a constitutional monarchy positiv?

She was pro-german during a war against germany, she spend very little time in her country (Sweden) and she was opposed to people trying to make changes in Sweden (and as JR said, she was very unpopular with the Swedes).
How was her contribution to a constitutional monarchy positiv?

By being a negative and much disliked person she provided the spark that people needed to change things. At least that's how I'm reading it.

By that regards, Napoleon III had a positive influence on French republicanism.

I read it the same way, by opposing to such changes she made them felt to be even more necessary. But just like Napoleon III's contributions to French republicanism, I don't think that such contributions were voluntary.

Okay, this i understand ;) but i don't think she'd be happy that we consider her a positive influence on something she didn't want to happen ;)
i guess i was just confused by the flower icons

There's a saying that it was Gustav V's embroidering that kept the swedes out of the war. Whenever Victoria would start nagging him about Germany and the war he would bend over his needlework and say "Not now Victoria, I'm counting" until she stopped and went away.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

There's a saying that it was Gustav V's embroidering that kept the swedes out of the war. Whenever Victoria would start nagging him about Germany and the war he would bend over his needlework and say "Not now Victoria, I'm counting" until she stopped and went away.

"Make embroidery not war" :lol:
Must have been a difficult situation for him, but incredibly annoying for her that he brushed her off :flowers:

Must have been a difficult situation for him, but incredibly annoying for her that he brushed her off :flowers:

She was a tough cookie so I'm sure she could take it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

can't imagine what would happen if one of the presentday Queens would do what this Queen Victoria did and be away from her country a karge part of the time...the media would have a field day...

Truely a different aera..

Portraits at Tullgarn Palace:
A portrait of Crown Princess (later Queen) Victoria (1862-1930) married to Gustaf V of Sweden by the German artist Ferdinand Keller.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXaqqG3nktk/?taken-by=hakan_groth

An informal portrait in the Billiards Room of Gustaf V as Crown Prince holding a cigarette by the artist Oscar Björck.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXZt3JOnXJg/?taken-by=hakan_groth

Prince Maximilian (Max) of Baden (1867-1929) with his second cousin Crown Prince Gustaf (V) of Sweden on the terrace at Tullgarn Palace in the 1890s. He was the heir to the Grand Duchy of Baden and also a first cousin of Gustaf's wife Victoria.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWJPL-HgE5/?taken-by=hakan_groth
Crown Prince Gustaf, his wife Victoria and their children Gustaf (VI) Adolf, Wilhelm and Eric on the terrace at Tullgarn in the 1890s.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWDC76nNEZ/?taken-by=hakan_groth

Last edited by a moderator:
At Facebook of the Royal Armoury
Today's date: August 3-5, 1908, the German emperor couple was visiting Stockholm. During the visit, Queen Victoria was named Honorary Colonel and Head of the "Das Fusilier Regiment Königin Viktoria von Schweden Pommersiches nr 34, Stettin" by her cousin, Emperor Wilhelm II. She wore the uniform the following year when she inspected the regiment in Stettin.
The uniform is at the new permanent exhibition at the Royal Armoury.
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=615686abaf0f1124b413432c20aec138&oe=5DE278FA
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=898dd2920793f435863df79fbebdad08&oe=5DD7FA5C

Queen Victoria at the uniform
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8111992544_af1c41bd06_o.jpg

Today in Royal History is the 157th birthday of Queen Victoria of Sweden born Princess Sophie Marie Viktoria of Baden died on 4 April 1930.

:previous: It is interesting that Victoria was not called by her her first name of Sophie. Thus she would have been Queen Sophie or Sofia of Sweden.

:previous: It is interesting that Victoria was not called by her her first name of Sophie. Thus she would have been Queen Sophie or Sofia of Sweden.

Apparently, during her pre-marriage life, she was already called Princess Viktoria of Baden and after her marriage to the then Crown Prince Gustaf of Sweden and Norway, she used a variant spelling of Viktoria which is 'Victoria.'

It is to note too that her predecessor/mother-in-law's name is Queen Sophia born Princess of Nassau half-sister of Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (the origin of today's Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family) and they were not very friendly with each other.

Last edited:
Apparently, during her pre-marriage life, she was already called Princess Viktoria of Baden and after her marriage to the then Crown Prince Gustaf of Sweden and Norway, she used a variant spelling of Viktoria which is 'Victoria.'

It is to note too that her predecessor/mother-in-law's name is Queen Sophia born Princess of Nassau half-sister of Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (the origin of today's Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family) and they were not very friendly with each other.

It is unfortunate that Queen Sophia and Crown Princess Viktoria did not get along two well. One would think that a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law would get along so sweetly.

It is unfortunate that Queen Sophia and Crown Princess Viktoria did not get along two well. One would think that a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law would get along so sweetly.

?? Mothers and dauighters in law frequently get on badly...

Queen Sophia had a liberal mindset and although very religious favoured a more evangelical approach to her faith which got her a lot of criticism from the very conservative Church of Sweden. Her political and religious views also got her into conflict with her husband King Oscar II on several occasions although he in general valued and respected her view on political matters. Politically she was oriented towards Britain and had hoped that her son Gustav V would chose a British bride. She was also anti-Prussian. Not only because her brother lost Nassau to the Hohenzollerns, but also because she objected to the militarism of the Prussian state and the way the Empire had been created. In spite, or maybe because, of this she was a friend of Crown Prince Frederick and Crown Princess Victoria.
Queen Victoria was very conservative, high church and militaristic which immediately set her against her mother-in-law. Added to that she showed on many occasions that to her Germany came before the Double monarchy. Her strict personality and her frequent trips abroad further added to the animosity between her and her parents-in-law. Although highly conservative she wasn't seen as being serious about either her position as a Swedish Crown Princess or about her marriage.
Funnily enough both women spent a lot of time abroad for health reasons, but only Victoria faced criticism for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom