Ingrid - Queen of Denmark, born Princess of Sweden (1910-2000)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
This is pictures before she became Crown Princess Ingrid of Denamrk

did you know that Crown Princess Victoria has said that she want to be the kind of Queen, Queen Ingrid was. that she was someone that she looked up two...

What a nice sentiment on Victoria's part. She has chosen a very fine role model to model her future duties after.

I think Nikolaos and Philippos of Greece kind of favor Queen Ingrid.

Oh, how nice to see the very old pictures of Princess / Queen Ingrid. Again many pictures I had not seen before. :lol:

www.ibl.se

Crown Princess Frederik and princess Ingrid

Stockholms central. 25/1 1939

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,830
http://www.cphpost.dk
4-4-2003

A lifetime of royal threads: clothing and relics from the life of the late Queen Mother, Ingrid, are on display in a special exhibition

Copenhagen may or may not be in store for a Crown Prince wedding in the near future. But royal wedding-watchers and nostalgia buffs are already getting their fix with a look at the past. In 1935, much like today, Denmark was transfixed by the magical arrival of Crown Prince Frederik's mysterious companion, a devoted Swedish princess who later became the much loved and respected Queen Ingrid.

Ingrid, in many ways the last vestige of Scandinavia's 19th century-style monarchy, died in 2000.

Last Friday, on what would have been the late Queen's 93rd birthday, Amalienborg Palace unveiled a new exhibition on Ingrid's childhood and years as Crown Princess of Denmark. 'A Crown Princess Comes to Shore' is inspired by the immortal newsreel footage that captured the nation's heart in May 1935, when Ingrid arrived by boat with her newlywed husband, Crown Prince Frederik (himself a confirmed bachelor for many years before his much-hyped nuptials). Ingrid's fairy-tale arrival at Amalienborg, donning a sleek fox stole and smart silk couture, set the standard for the image of a Queen-in-waiting for years to come. The timing of the new exhibition, opened in cooperation with Ingrid's daughters, Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte, and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, may be auspicious in its own right: royal-watchers have already got their eye on Crown Prince Frederik's current companion, Mary Donaldson to see if she has the magical quality that Ingrid exuded in spades some 68 years ago.

The Amalienborg exhibition is also a tribute to Ingrid's international, and undeniably blue-blooded background. By rights a Princess of Sweden, Ingrid was the daughter of King Gustaf Adolf and Queen Margaret, (born Duchess of Connaught), great-granddaughter of Britain's Queen Victoria, and great-great granddaughter of Russia's Catherine the Great. Ingrid mastered Swedish and English equally, and her childhood - until her mother's sudden death when Ingrid was 10 - was idyllic and countrified, as much at home in Sweden as in the pastoral English countryside. Relics of Ingrid's childhood, now owned by Queen Margrethe, are on display: pristine examples of the Princess's dapper pink dresses, shoes from Peter Yapp on London's Sloane Street, a first-edition series of Beatrix Potter books, with Arthur Rackham illustrations. All were painstakingly wrapped in silk paper, and made the journey with Ingrid when she set sail for her new life in Denmark.

The real draw of the Amalienborg exhibition, however, is the royal couture. Notable is the impressive collection of royal dress trains: one beautifully dulcet train was worn by Ingrid's mother, Margaret, at the 1896 coronation of Russia's Czar Nicholas II. Another 19th century claret train belonged to Ingrid's paternal grandmother, Sweden's Queen Victoria. Pieces from Ingrid's own wardrobe are considerably sleeker, and less stodgy, than other royals of the day - indeed, Denmark's first impression of Crown Princess Ingrid was her vibrant youth and modernity ('A modern princess from cradle to bridal veil,' Berlingske Tidende wrote after the royal engagement, praising Ingrid's 'democratic upbringing.') Ingrid's velour train from 1932 is on display, as is a resplendent, 1920's style gown embossed with Prince of Wales feathers.

The centerpiece of the show is Ingrid's wedding dress, worn at Stockholm Cathedral on 24 May 1935. The simple, white silk gown, designed by court couturier Fr. V. Tunborg & Co., was outfitted with an 8 meter-long train, and fit the Crown Princess like a glove.

The Amalienborg exhibition is a fascinating glimpse at the world of early 20th century royals - but also a touching tribute to a Queen widely admired by older Danish generations. Included are newsreels of Ingrid's first homecoming to the Danish kingdom, and a radio greeting delivered by the Princess as a farewell address to the Swedish people. Older visitors reminisced about their own fond memories of Queen Ingrid and the bygone age, told in books, papers, photographs, and a lifetime of clothing.

Queen Silvia said in a resent TV interview that Queen Ingrid of Denmark was the one she talked about regarding her "silvia" queen role. And that queen Ingrid always had time to answer questions when needed.

Princess Ingrid Of Sweden -(Queen Ingrid Of Denmark).

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,389
Portrait of Princess Ingrid
Original caption: Is She Engaged to the Prince of Wales? It is now rumored in London that the prince of Wales is engaged to marry his cousin, Princess Ingrid, only daughter of the crown prince of Sweden, and a grandniece of the duke of Connaught, who is an uncle to King George of England.

is this true

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,581
Original caption: Her First Court Dress. This is Princess Ingrid of Sweden shown with her first court dress which she wore at the royal palace in Stockholm when she appeared at her first court. This picture was just received from Sweden.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 760
Original caption: Only Daughter of Swedish Crown Prince to Wed. Stockholm, Sweden: Her Highness, Princess Ingrid, only daughter of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf, of Sweden, grand-daughter of King Gustaf V, and grand-daughter of the Duke of Connaught, whose engagement to 36-year-old Crown Prince Christian Frederick, son of King Christian X of Denmark, is expected momentarily. March 14, 1935

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 690
the princess got married young
was she ever conncted to other princes of the world?

Josefine said:
I believe she was. I just can't remember who. I'm not sure it was the prince of England, at least it doesn't ring a bell.

She's one of my favorite royals !!!

Josefine said:

Well she got married at the age of 25

Daneborn said:
I believe she was. I just can't remember who. I'm not sure it was the prince of England, at least it doesn't ring a bell.

She's one of my favorite royals !!!

There was talk of her being "suitable" for her cousin, David (King Edward VIII of England).

Photos of princess Ingrid as a child:
Princess Ingrid´s baptism in April 1910
Prince Gustaf VI Adolf, Princess Margaret and children Sigvard, Gustaf Adolf and Ingrid
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid, princes Gustaf Adolf, Bertil und Sigvard 1913
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid, princes Gustaf Adolf, Bertil und Sigvard 1914
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid and prince Bertil 1914
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid 1914
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Prince Gustaf VI Adolf, Princess Margaret and children Sigvard, Gustaf Adolf Bertil and Ingrid 1916
Seegerpress

Queen Ingrid was pretty and she had a long life that was nice that she would give advice to Queen Siliva in her role as queen.

I visited Amalienborg in 2005.. I saw the late King's Frederic XIX desk . The furniture remains unchanged but everywhere they were pictures of his wife Queen Ingrid and also the 3 Princesses.
Queen Ingrid's childhood was sad comparing to Queen Astrid's family because she lost her mother when she was 10 and was the King's daughter but she has a great life and they were happy.

I can see CP Victoria in Princess Ingrid in the second-last picture here.:flowers:

Prince Gustaf VI Adolf, Princess Margaret and children Sigvard, Gustaf Adolf and Ingrid
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid 1914
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Prince Gustaf VI Adolf, Princess Margaret and children Sigvard, Gustaf Adolf Bertil and Ingrid 1916
Seegerpress

Her eyes express so much warmth, kindness and love.

Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Princess Ingrid 1914
Seegerpress
Seegerpress
Seegerpress

What a beautiful little girl! :princess:

I visited Amalienborg in 2005.. I saw the late King's Frederic XIX desk . The furniture remains unchanged but everywhere they were pictures of his wife Queen Ingrid and also the 3 Princesses.
Queen Ingrid's childhood was sad comparing to Queen Astrid's family because she lost her mother when she was 10 and was the King's daughter but she has a great life and they were happy.

Ingrid's father didn't become king of Sweden until 1950, by which time Ingrid had been queen of Denmark for about 3 years. (Odd to think that the daughter outranked the father for a while!!) But we know what you mean. :flowers:

Thanks, Josefine! I hadn't seen quite a few of those pictures before. Ingrid was a beautiful little girl. I also enjoyed seeing her with her daughters when they were little girls - they seem to have had a very warm relationship.

Has anyone ever posted video of Queen Ingrid speaking (especially in English)? I'd be curious to hear her voice and accent.

Back
Top Bottom