Funeral of King Gustaf VI Adolf: September 25, 1973

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

olivier290782

Can anyone post pictures of this royal event? I would like to see pictures of this event.
Thanks in advance.

Olivier.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the gentleman who preceded the current king, then yes, I add my voice to Olivier.

Last edited by a moderator:
From HM King Gustaf VI Adolf funeral I just know some royals who attended it.

Besides the Swedish Royal Family, attended the funeral:
Denmark - HM, Queen Margrethe II (his grand-daughter), HRH Prince Hendrik and HM Queen-mother Ingrid (his daughter)
Greece - TM King Konstantinos II and Queen Anna Maria (his grand-daughter)
Norway - HM King Olav V and TRH Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja
Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg - HH Prince Richard and HRH Princess Benedikte (his grand-daughter)
Thailand - HRH Princess Maha Sirindhorn

Probably many other royals had attended this State funeral

I also would like to see pictures from the funerals of TRH Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibila (parents of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf) and of TM King Gustaf V Adolf (great-grandfather of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf) and HM Queen Louisa (second wife of HM King Gustaf VI Adolf).
If there are not pictures, I would like to see the royals who were there

Can any one tell me the date of the funeral?

Thank you

Okay, I have checked. King Gustav VI Adolf died on September 15th 1973. On September 18th, he was taken on a last journey through Sweden. The funeral took place on September 25th.

i know its been long since some one posted on this thread but i found some fotage of the funeral cortege of the late King's funeral, in an documentary about Queen Margrethe of Denmark
Søg i Bonanza - dr.dk/Bonanza
skip to 32:52 for the footage of the funeral

i know its been long since some one posted on this thread but i found some fotage of the funeral cortege of the late King's funeral, in an documentary about Queen Margrethe of Denmark
Søg i Bonanza - dr.dk/Bonanza
skip to 32:52 for the footage of the funeral

I've just started watching the video - and am blown away at how much Frederick looks like her! Thanks for posting this - very interesting.

I assume Carl Gustav will have a similar service & cortege when the time comes. Has there been any news in the past that would describe how the process would be, especially now there would be a queen regnant that would follow him? The media have done stories of the process for Elizabeth II's passing.

I assume Carl Gustav will have a similar service & cortege when the time comes. Has there been any news in the past that would describe how the process would be, especially now there would be a queen regnant that would follow him? The media have done stories of the process for Elizabeth II's passing.

Since the King is healthy and only 70 years old, this has not been a subject of much speculation. My guess is that the arrangements would be very similar, with a procession from the Palace to Storkyrkan and then to the royal cemetary at Haga.

If he dies as the reigning King (have not abdicated) the rituals will most likely be the same as in 1973. A slow gun salute of 21 shots for the dead monarch and then a fast gun salute of 21 shots for the new monarch. A solemn Procession to the Royal Palace in Stockholm if he is not there already. Lit de parade in the Royal Palace Church, on the funeral day procession from the Royal Palace Church to Stockholm Cathedral (Storkyrkan) for a funeral service wich ends with a procession to the royal burial grounds inside the Haga Park.

Back
Top Bottom