Crown Princess Margareta, née Princess of Connaught (1882-1920)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I posted this before, but I find it amusing that alot of the HSH's are wealthier than the Reigning Royals, Liectenstein, Grimaldis, (who are Principalities), Thurn-Taxis, and many other of the German Princely Houses. I often wonder how some of the snobs would had reacted if they lived today?

How did Queen Ingrid get along with her step mother, Queen Louise?

In the beginning the children of Margareta were not so happy with their father remarrying. Later they got on well together

michelleq said:
I posted this before, but I find it amusing that alot of the HSH's are wealthier than the Reigning Royals, Liectenstein, Grimaldis, (who are Principalities), Thurn-Taxis, and many other of the German Princely Houses. I often wonder how some of the snobs would had reacted if they lived today?
Wealth is not the arbiter. Titles, styles and ancestors determine the ranking and status within this caste. Would an aristocratic family rather lose their fortune or their titles?

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7244/margareta13fy.jpg Margareth of Connaught (Margareta), the grandmother of our current king Carl XVI Gustaf and and the danish queen Margarethe II.
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/3638/margareta26kx.jpg Crown princess Margareta outside skiing.
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/4155/margareta36wz.jpg Margareta and her husband Gustav (VI) Adolf with their first-born Gustav Adolf, our current king's father, when he was a baby.
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/1862/louise18ts.jpg Gustav (VI) Adolf and Louise Mountbatten at their wedding.

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting the pictures Furienna.

An interesting fact about Crown Princess Margareta and her mother-in-law Queen Victoria - they were both first cousins of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany.

Margareta through her father the Duke of Connaught (brother of Wilhelm's mother Vicky, the Empress Friedrich), Victoria through her mother Louise, Grand Duchess of Baden (sister of Wilhelm's father, Kaiser Friedrich III)

So were they each other's cousins as well? Well, I knew they both were daughters of prussian princesses...

Do you mean Margareta? Margareta was a member of the British Royal Family, being the daughter of Queen Victoria's third son, the Duke of Connaught.

Yes, Margareta was a Brittish princess, but her mother was a German princess, a member of the Prussian royal family, who became the German imperial family. And Margareta's mother-in-law Viktoria's mother was the daughter of a German emperor/Prussian king. I guess Margaretha and Gustav Adolf were at least second cousins.

OK now I understand you.

I did some research and found they had a common ancestor in Friedrich Wilhelm, the last King of Prussia (father of Wilhelm I of Germany) He was Viktoria's great-grandfather and Margaretha's great-great grandfather so I think that makes them second cousins once removed.

Very good research, ysbel. It's fun to do that sometimes. I once did a connection between Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Grace. Geneaology is a lot of work but also a lot of fun as well.

An image of "Daisy" that I hadn't seen before:-

royal49a.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/historicpaper/royal49a.jpg

I have recently read "Born to Rule",and I was disappointed that Princess Margaret was not included in the book.

I guess because the book "Born to Rule" only talks about the granddaughters of Queen Victoria who became Queens.

That's stupid! It should have mentioned Margareth too! She was a crown princess and two of her grandchildren are monarchs.

Thanks for the picture Furienna. I've never seen that one before. In a lot of the official photos, Margrethe didn't look that attractive but here she does.

What was the occasion on Capri?

Maybe they were visiting Queen Victoria on Capri, she lived there in periods due to her bad health, before she took up residence in Rome were she died in 1930.

Grandduchess is right! Victoria of Baden was abroad a lot, visiting hotter places in Europe. Even when she was our queen, she never spent the winters here in Sweden. We actually only had a queen during the summers! No wonder her marriage to king Gustav V was rocky. Her oldest son Gustav Adolf, the future king Gustav VI Adolf, had taken his fiancée Margareth of Connaught to Capri to introduce her to his mother. They had just gotten engaged. I must also add, that Victoria of Baden was a good photographer. I have a book about Capri, where 90% of the pictures were taken by her. The picture I just scanned and uploaded to my imageshack and linked to in this thread comes from that book.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Margareta (1882-1920)

I didn't see a thread on Margaret and her children so i thought i would start one and post a few pictures

bertil20378942.jpg

Margaret with Prince Bertil

swedishroyalfamily1917.jpg

the whole family

ukujkui.jpg

Margaret with Ingrid and Bertil

j9608.jpg

Prince Carl-Johann

ingridsweden1910-83.jpg

margaret_children.jpg

my two favourite pictures
carljohannsweden1916-2.jpg

Those photographs are beautiful, thank you so much for posting them.

Mignon,
Thank you for posting such beautifl pictures. I had never seen any of them before. Such a beautiful family!:flowers:

Who was CP Margaret? Was she Queen Margareths maternal Grand-mother?

Well if she was Ingrids mother, than she must have been!?!
I find those old photographs very interesting, esp. because when the children are small, it is always hard to say, if they are boys or girls;) .

Yes, she was the mother of Queen Ingrid of Denmark and thus the grandmother of Margethe of Denmark but also King Carl Gustav of Sweden, Anne Marie of Greece and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Her last surviving son, Carl Johan just celebrated his 90th birthday last year.

What great pictures of a lovely Princess!

i don't know if you have seen these

arthurbritain1850-27.jpg

vic459pc.jpg

PG5362.jpg

DaisyandVictoria.jpg

VICTORIAANDH.jpg

alicky8.jpg

a baby margaret on her mothers lap, also in the picture are Ernst and Alicky of Hesse

pictures of a young Margaret

Thanks for all the new pictures! They are great!

Back
Top Bottom