The Spanish Kingdoms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Spanish Kingdoms in 1030:

spain1030b.gif

This map is from the Atlas to Freeman's Historical Geography, edited by J.B. Bury, Longmans Green et all. Third Edition 1903. It is in the public domain.​

Last edited:
Spanish Kingdoms in 1210:

spain1210b.gif

This map is from the Atlas to Freeman's Historical Geography, edited by J.B. Bury, Longmans Green et all. Third Edition 1903. It is in the public domain.

Spanish Kingdoms in 1360:

spain1360b.gif

This map is from the Atlas to Freeman's Historical Geography, edited by J.B. Bury, Longmans Green et all. Third Edition 1903. It is in the public domain.

Last edited:
Impressive Marengo,very impressive!!Three pages of threads on various periods in/of Spanish Royal History is greatly appreciated
I'm sure by all here.

All the work you've put in it,quite something,not many have that commitment so I appreciate it even more knowing how busy you
are outside this forum as well.De verdad,muchos gracias!
:flowers:

Thats really cool but was the last picture before or after Isabella and Ferdinand captured Granada

The Kingdom of Navarre has always fascinated me and its one Kingdom I'd love to read more on.For part of its history it was united with the French Crown and then independent until it was invaded and annexed by Ferdinand of Aragon.I'm never sure whether I should regard Medieval Navarre as 'Spanish' or 'French' or maybe neither!

Kingdom of Navarre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1515 The Courts of Castile incorporate this kingdom to that of Castile

Except for a remnant which maintained its independence until after King Henri III of Navarre inherited the French throne.

I've always regarded Catherine Ier as more French than Spanish ,her mother was a French Royal Princess ,Madeleine de Valois and her father was from the French noble House of Foix.

Madeleine de Valois,Regent of Navarre

345px-Madeleine_of_France%2C_bethroted_of_Ladislaus_the_Posthumous.jpg

Catherine Ier de Navarre

Catherine_I_of_Navarre.jpg

I always wondered why the kings would split up the area like parcels instead of keeping them together, I recall Charlemagne or Otto I did the same thing? But looking at the map, and a bit remembering my geography on the area, it does make sense.

Spain was sparsely populated and getting from point A to point B, like in Greece, was not easy. And like with the geography of Greece, Italy and Germany, this favored pockets of independent governments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom