Spain Seeks Sainthood For Queen Isabella

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^
I think that it's not a contradiction, the pope has never said that Isabel was a saint only that she was an important figure in the catholic expansion in spain and the world.

Very cogent answer. And she was. It's the sainthood that is foolish.

^^
I think that it's not a contradiction, the pope has never said that Isabel was a saint only that she was an important figure in the catholic expansion in spain and the world.

Oh yes, she definitely expanded Catholicism in Spain and around the world -- under the threat of torture and/or death. You'll convert if your only other option is dying.

Besides, considering all the things the Pope has on his plate right now (his Nazi past, the sex abuse scandals), perhaps he ought not to be pontificating on Queen Isabella and her murderous tactics to ratchet up the number of Catholics in the Western World and beyond.

^^
If you read the article you will see that the pope has not said that she is going to be a saint. The person that started this hasn't got the time either (he has a lot of problems in Spain now) so really, I don't know anyone that thinks that Isabel was a saint.

When I say that there is a doublel standard is because people always remember that the spanish monarchs did to expand catholicism, but I don't see the mention when the expansion was about protestantism. I know that we have the black legend to fight but I doubt that what Isabel did was worse than what other monarchs did to expand their own religion. For instance in Spain until 1492 all monarchs tried to expand their territory fughting the muslims.

IMO it's not all so black and white :ermm:

Oh, you are right. The Crusades were no picnic, either. Blood on everyone of their hands. I think it was just trhe sainthood spectre that raised this other stuff. No one would argue the rest.

So let me get this straight.. this would be a picture of Juana, the mad, correct? Because someone on a website has it labeled as Katherine Swynford and over 200 people now have this attached to their websites as Katherine Swynford.. how can something like that happen?!
200px-Juanalaloca.jpg

I tried to tell this woman, but she called me mentally ill, etc. etc. It was not a nice message. I was very upset.

Because people don't really look at anything, closely.

So let me get this straight.. this would be a picture of Juana, the mad, correct? Because someone on a website has it labeled as Katherine Swynford and over 200 people now have this attached to their websites as Katherine Swynford.. how can something like that happen?!
200px-Juanalaloca.jpg

I tried to tell this woman, but she called me mentally ill, etc. etc. It was not a nice message. I was very upset.

Her cloak bears the arms of Juana I,maybe point that out to them !

Back
Top Bottom