Spain Seeks Sainthood For Queen Isabella

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isabella hearing "the crazy project" proposed by Christopher Columbus:

At some point the Court
was placed at the
Alcazar of Segovia, at
the very heart of
Castille:

IMGP4528.JPG

Against her husband's wishes and advise Queen Isabella decided to support Columbus and her decision changed the world:

columbus-landing-bg.jpg

Tomb of the great Queen Isabella of Castile:

Last edited:
Queen Isabella's daughter, Isabella of Castile and Aragon, Princess of Asturias and Queen of Portugal:

she died giving birth to Prince Miguel of Portugal who died at 2 years old

Last edited:
Queen Isabella's daughter, Catherine of Aragon, Queen of England:

and her granddaughter Mary Tudor, Queen of England:

queen-mary-i-bloody-mary.jpg

Queen Isabella's daughter Joanna "the mad" Queen of Castile and Aragon:

10644-004-F91B0939.jpg

and her grandson Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor:

charlesv.jpg

Queen Isabella's daughter Maria of Castile and Aragon, Queen of Portugal:

and her granddaughter Isabella of Portugal, Queen of Spain and Holy Roman Empress:

Last edited:
Queen Isabella's only son John of Castile and Aragon, Prince of Asturias:

Prince John died 6 months after his marriage to Margaret of Habsburg, Archduchess of Austria (who gave birth to a stillborn child):

2908282169_643f35feeb.jpg

Queen Isabella's crown and sword:

They are located at the "Capilla Real", Granada, the same place where the Queen is interred with her husband King Ferdinand.

Other descendants of Queen Isabella:

Granddaughter- Eleanor of Habsburg, Queen of France (consort of King Francis I):

Granddaughter- Isabella of Habsburg, Queen of Denmark, Sweden and Norway (consort to King Christian II):

Grandson- Ferdinand I of Habsburg Holy Roman Emperor and King of Hungary, Croatia, Bohemia and Slavonia:

Granddaughter- Catherine of Habsburg, Queen of Portugal (consort to King John III):

Great granddaughter- Christina of Denmark, Duchess of Lorraine (consort to Francis I) the current monarchs of Denmark, Norway and Sweden are descendants of this Princess:

Grandson- John III of Aviz, King of Portugal:

Great grandson- Philip II of Habsburg, King of Spain (the houses of Habsburg and Borbon descend from this King, through his granddaughters Maria Ana of Habsburg, Holy Roman Empress and Ana of Habsburg, Queen of France):

Great grandson- Maximilian I of Habsburg, Holy Roman Emperor

Great granddaughter, Joanna of Habsburg, Grand Duchess of Tuscany (consort to Francesco I de Medici) mother of Maria de Medici, Queen of France and mother of King Louis XIII (the houses of Borbon, Borbon Parma, Borbon-Two Sicilies and Borbon-Orleans descend from this princess):

Last edited:
Great grandson- Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy (married to Margaret Valois, Princess of France), the houses Of Savoy, Mantua and Modena descend from this prince:

Great granddaughter Archduchess Ana of Habsburg, Duchess of Bavaria (ancestress of the Royal House of Bavaria):

Great granddaughter- Margaret of Habsburg, Duchess of Parma (Consort to Ottavio Farnese) ancestress of the Royal House of Borbon-Parma:

Spain seeks sainthood for Isabella
By Isambard Wilkinson in Madrid
(Filed: 23/04/2003)

Spain's Roman Catholic bishops are to petition the Pope to canonise Queen Isabella of Castile, one of history's most vilified monarchs.

Senior churchmen led by Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco, the Archbishop of Madrid, yesterday revived a campaign asking that Queen Isabella be beatified, the first step towards being made a saint.

They hope for her to be beatified next year to mark the 500th anniversary of her death.

During her tempestuous 15th century reign, Isabella conquered much of Latin America for the Vatican, ended the 700-year presence of Moors and Jews on the Iberian Peninsula and assured the hegemony of Castile and the Catholic Church in Spain.

"We have investigated every aspect of this controversial and fascinating woman and it appears to be the time to abandon intransigence and see her in the context of her time and environment," said Jose Delicado, the Archbishop of Vallodolid, at the launch of the campaign, which was attended by Latin American ambassadors to Madrid.

Earlier attempts to launch Isabella - or La Catolica as she became known - on the road to sainthood ended in ignominy.

Waves of protest accompanied a 1999 initiative, with her detractors accusing her of exiling Jews and Muslims from Spain, instigating genocide in Latin America and setting up the Inquisition, which tortured and burnt hundreds of her countrymen at the stake.

The dictator Gen Franco instigated a campaign for Isabella's canonisation in 1952, believing that she embodied the ideals of "national Catholicism" along with its connotations of religious and racial purity.

But her popularity with Franco tarnished her image and the Vatican put to one side the 217 volumes and 800,000 documents sent to them by the then archbishop of Vallodolid.

Article From: news.telegraph.co.uk

Honestly I don't think she should be granted sainthood either but the people of the 15th century she did what was best for her people like all the kings and queens must think for their people.

I do think she should be a saint. I've always admired the fact that her country and her religion meant so much to her. I mean, she went out in battle herself, while she was pregnant.

I think to her her religion and her country were the most important thing.
progress.gif

If intolerance and bigotry are prerequisites for sainthood than she should be made a saint. Otherwise she should not. She was an acommplice to the murder and destruction of innocent human beings, just because they were different than she. She really was no better than Hitler, except for the time of civilization.

While an important historical figure, she certainly wasn't a saint. Not with religious persecution and genocide on her resume.

She behaved as she behaved because the Church she trusted said it was the right way of behaving. She was a saint so.
As a Catholic, the problem for me is that the Church seems now to have changed its way of seeing things: so now why should one person work hard trying to do what the Church tell him to do if in few centuries they will change their mind??

Exactly. They didn't trust people who converted, as they thought they were practicing the other religions in secret. Besides, while she was growing up there was a lot of anarchy. I think it is natural that she wanted to reconquer the lands, and wanted Spain united. She did what she thought was best for Spain, and of course, what she had been taught was right. And she did so much. New lands, driving the Moors and Jews out of Spain, or them converting. She was a very strong woman. I've always admired her for her strong devotion to her faith and her country, and everything she did for it.

Because as time passes people see that a thought that was incorrect needs to be corrected. The Church is only a group of men, men who made mistakes, big mistakes and at this time they are seeing the mistakes and mending those faults. She, as you say, trusted her church and that is okay. But that doesn't make her a saint. She did a great deal of harm and supported it.

Can't we stop discussing this? The first time I've heard of this story has been here. Q. Isabel I has been the best queen the spaniards have ever had. But clearly she is not a saint because she didn't do any miracle.

And she wasn't more "genocidal" than the rest of the monarchs of the rest of Europe, this reeks of double standard in my opinion :whistling:

She behaved as she behaved because the Church she trusted said it was the right way of behaving. She was a saint so.
As a Catholic, the problem for me is that the Church seems now to have changed its way of seeing things: so now why should one person work hard trying to do what the Church tell him to do if in few centuries they will change their mind??
Because if the church was sanctioning and encouraging the torture of people by royal fiat, that is something to be regretted. The present Pope is resisting being held to account for the sexual molestation by priests under his aegis. After all Ratzinger was Prefect for the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith. Not as sexy as it's former title The Inquisition, which Isabella enthusiastically encouraged as did her offspring Phillip, His Most Catholic Majesty.

Can't we stop discussing this? The first time I've heard of this story has been here. Q. Isabel I has been the best queen the spaniards have ever had. But clearly she is not a saint because she didn't do any miracle.

And she wasn't more "genocidal" than the rest of the monarchs of the rest of Europe, this reeks of double standard in my opinion :whistling:

Well, you are right that there were many monarchs no better than she, but sainthood was the discussion and they are not being discussed for sainthood. Those of us who think she is poor material for a saint, have said so. By the way, she destroyed and drove out many industrious, educated people from Spain, hardly a testimony for a "Good Queen".

What exactly should she be sainted for? The Spanish Inquisition alone should bar her from any such consideration, in my eyes.

Well, you are right that there were many monarchs no better than she, but sainthood was the discussion and they are not being discussed for sainthood. Those of us who think she is poor material for a saint, have said so. By the way, she destroyed and drove out many industrious, educated people from Spain, hardly a testimony for a "Good Queen".

There have only two queen in Spain, I can assure you that Isabel II was worse that the first. And comaparing her to the rest of the monarcs she is one of the best, as you can see the level is not very high. :ermm:

It wasn't her who wanted the jews out of Spain but his husband who was a King on his own right because he had debts with them and he couldn't pay them. I know that she was not perfect but imo she was better than the kings that came after her.

I don't think she should be a saint, she isn't and I still ask myself who started this nonsense!:lol:

And we already have a king that was a saint, we don't need another one! :D

Q. Isabel I has been the best queen the spaniards have ever had. But clearly she is not a saint because she didn't do any miracle.

I quite agree. It's like I said, her country and her faith were the most important things to her. And yes, many monarchs also were genocidal.

I quite agree. It's like I said, her country and her faith were the most important things to her. And yes, many monarchs also were genocidal.

That was one of the problem of the monarchas on Spain, the religious question; we would be on a better position on the world stage if the monarchs had not been so obssesed on thinking that spain should remain a catholic country without influence of any other religion :sad:

It all is what it is, the only offensive thing is thinking she is a saint. As previously said, what was saintly about her?

She fought against the non catholic guys and she was very catholic herself. Please let this be, Rouco Varela doesn't have anything interesting to do and he started this foolish story.

Isabel was a good queen but she did many mistakes and all of us know that she is no saint.

A Saint for the Catholic Church is somebody completely faithfull to the Church and practising its teaching as Isabella did. It is not a synonim of "politically correct person"! So not Catholic should not care about sainthood of people and judge them as they prefer.
However I think that the issue of Isabella's sainthood is very interesting for Catholic people: they believe that the Pope cannot make mistakes in theological issues, but Isabella's case show evidently that what Popes are saying today is the contrary of what Popes said at Isabella's time. I will confess that this is one of the motivation of my actual spiritual confusion :angel:

Back
Top Bottom