Spain Seeks Sainthood For Queen Isabella

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a hard time believing that the Pope will canonize Isabella, when he is trying to build a spirit of reconciliation between the Church and the Jews and the Muslims. Not to mention what the Spanish did to the indigenous people of the Americas.

Despite Isabella's great achievements at unifying Spain and spreading Spanish control over a huge proportion of the world, she was also the queen of Torquemada and the Spanish Inquisition. Not good PR for a future saint.

I think that Elizabeth I of England has more chances to become an Anglican saint than Isabella I of Castile has to become a Roman Catholic saint. Elizabeth was a virgin (at least officially :rolleyes:, though this is not so importnant); she didn't commit any massacre; she turned England into a supernation; most importantly, her reign saw Elizabethan Religious Settlement and final establishment of the Church of England.

Don't see Elizabeth becoming a saint (albeit Anglican) either ... the Tudors were hardly paragons of good behavior, and Elizabeth martyred numerous Catholics and non-conformists, not to mention whacking off the head of dear cousin Mary.

That's all true. I don't see Elizabeth as saint either, but I still think that she has better chances than her aunt's mother Isabella.

Both Queens were great monarchs, as a result neither deserve sainthood.

Remember that Elizabeth I was also a queen of intrigue; she needed those skills to survive in a court where assassination was a day to day affair. She also sponsored piracy and religious revolts all over Europe, which caused wars and death everywhere. I don't think Elizabeth is any closer to sainthood than Isabella. Isabella showed no mercy in defending her ultimate goal, which was the unity of Spain and was strongly convinced that she had come to this world to make the Catholic Church reign supreme all over the world. Isabella's orders to the Conquistadores were to respect the lives of aboriginals in America. That is one of the reasons the aboriginal population in Latin America is so large nowadays.

By "aunt's mother" you mean "stepmother's mother"? I don't think Catherine of Aragon was ever Elizabeth I's stepmother, maybe she was her father's ex wife.

I think you mean Elizabeth's half-sister's grandmother? The half-sister being Mary Tudor, not the queen of Scotland.

Sometimes we Americans aren't very good at describing more complex family relationships. We get our "half" and "step" relatives mixed up all the time, and let's not even talk about our relations with cousins!

Isabella's orders to the Conquistadores were to respect the lives of aboriginals in America. That is one of the reasons the aboriginal population in Latin America is so large nowadays.

Have to dispute that point with you. They (the Spanish, not Isabella herself) virtually wiped out the indigenous population of Cuba and many of the islands, and many of the native peoples of California. And they tried to kill or enslave the Aztecs and other tribes of central Mexico.

Of course, Isabella was probably more interested in converting the natives and exploiting them, than exterminating them.

No, I mean exactly "aunt's mother" :) Catherine of Aragon can't be described as Elizabeth's step-mother, because her marriage to Elizabeth's father ended (actually never existed as seen by the Church of England) before Elizabeth's birth. However, Catherine was married to Elizabeth's uncle Arthur (a valid marriage as seen by the Church of England), so she was aunt of Elizabeth and Edward :) That means she was also her daughter Mary's aunt. Ewww. :ermm:

Anyway, I am aware how unperfect Elizabeth was, but she is not as unpopular among non-Anglicans as Isabella is unpopular among non-Roman Catholics. Unlike Isabella, Elizabeth is never described as "monstrous". I agree, however, that none of them is a perfect saint material.

Nobody with a good knowledge of Isabella's character would consider her as monstrous. She never was such thing.

Isabella was a firm believer and a strong fighter. Any judgment on Isabella must be made considering the time she lived in and the particular circumstamces she had to face. Isabella lived in constant war, she had to run from one place to the other, even pregnant, and fight for her life and kingdom. Ever since she was a child she lived in constant fear and danger in the court of her brother Henry IV, King of Castile.

Isabella'a brother Alfonso, was probably poisoned and she was in constant fear as she could be next. Isabella got married with Fernando against the wishes of her brother the King and the nobles that had kidnapped her; she was brave and wise enough to escape to avoid being a hostage.

Isabella was a mother, a warrior, a fighter, a visionary, just with her people and terrible to her enemies. Isabella's first accomplishment was her own survival, then she raised a family and created a Kingdom which will become a huge empire. She was an outstanding monarch who ranks amongst the best ever in world's history.

Queen-Isabella-I-of-Castile-and-Leon-kings-and-queens-2332585-417-599.jpg

Isabella was a fighter but she was also femenine and beautiful

isabella.jpg

Isabella's religious zealotry was almost matched by her commitment to education and the arts: she established a palace school for young noblemen, patronized literature, and amassed a stunning collection of Spanish and Flemish art.

Isabella married the handsome King of Aragon, Ferdinand II:

Ferdinand1.jpg

No doubt she was a firm believer ready to give her life for the Catholic Church

zpage068.gif

Isabella of Castile is a shining example of powerful queenship in the late medieval age. At eighteen she was blue-eyed, chestnut-haired and striking. Already she favored the jewels and magnificent gowns that she wore throughout her life. As heiress to the throne of Castile she had her pick of royal suitors. In 1469 she defied her brother the King and nobles who had her kidnapped to marry Ferdinand, heir to the throne of Aragon. Thus began the thirty-five year joint rule of a unified Spain by the Catholic Monarchs. The Pope bestowed the title on them in 1492 after they routed the Moors from Granada, ending eight centuries of Moorish domination in Spain.

Also in 1492, a landmark year for Isabella, she agreed to sponsor Christopher Columbus's voyage of discovery, which brought the New World and its wealth to the Spanish crown. Until her death she was concerned with the welfare and rights of the natives of the lands she had acquired. She and Ferdinand were also concerned with the eternal souls of their Spanish subjects. They established the Inquisition to ferret out Jews and Muslims whose conversion to Christianity was doubtful. In 1492, the same year they conquered the Moors, the Catholic Monarchs expelled all nonconverted Jews from Spain.

Isabella's intense piety was accompanied by a sincere interest in education. She became proficient in Latin in her thirties. She encouraged scholars at her court and set up palace schools. She patronized artists and collected art.

The reign of Isabella and Ferdinand was a golden age for Spain. But her last years were marred by family sorrows. Of her five children, two predeceased her. So did her grandson and heir. Her daughter Joanna--Juana la Loca-was mentally unstable.

Isabella died in 1506 at the height of her power, leaving Ferdinand to reign as regent for twelve years. Perhaps Isabella, who dreamed of continuity of rule for her family and of greatness for her country, would have been cheered to know that after Ferdinand's death, Joanna's son Charles became not only king of Spain but Holy Roman Emperor. The grandmother of almost all European dynasties, every reigning monarch in modern Europe is a descendant of Isabella of Castile.

Conversions taking place before Isabella and Ferdinand:

BE064428.jpg

Last edited:
Until the start of the reign of Isabella's grandson, Emperor Charles V, the Court was "itinerant" meaning there was no stable place for the Court. This is Isabella's castle at Zaragoza:

Isabella's sponsored Royal Monastery of our Lady of Guadalupe:

2479681685_d644e1b76d.jpg

Queen Isabella, King Ferdinand and their daughter Queen Joan and her husband King Philip the handsome, are interred in this beautiful "Capilla Real" located in Granada:

2587516387_e2c8bf1031.jpg

Spanish Coat of Arms created soon after the marriage of Isabella and Ferdinand:

Statues of Isabella and Ferdinand receiving a report from Cristopher Columbus at Alcazar de los Reyes, Cordova:

42-19166141.jpg

Walls that surround the City of Avila (Castle of Madrigal de las Altas Torres), where Queen Isabella was born:

avila1_large.jpg

Last edited:
Muslim King Boabdil surrenders to Isabella and Ferdinand:

400px-BoabdilFerdinandIsabella.jpg

Cathedral of Segovia where Isabella was proclaimed Queen of Castile:

d80_1_190-350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom