The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
This is the only painting I have seen a copy of, do you have a picture of the one you mention?

http://www.jssgallery.org/Other_Arti...fspain1920.jpg
Thatīs a beautiful portrait, I believe by Lazslo. The one I say shows Queen Ena from head to toe (with beautiful shoes by the way). She is wearing a small crown (not a tiara like in the one by Lazslo) and a long court dress. Iīm in NY now, but Iīll be back in Spain within two weeks. I can go to the Royal Palace then, buy a postcard showing that painting and scan it. The painting is by Alvarez de Sotomayor. I looked in Google (I wrote "Alvarez de Sotomayor" + "Victoria Eugenia") and found several webpages about that painting, but no photograph. If you can read Spanish maybe you can read about it in those pages.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:40 AM
Serene Highness

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/26...7B0C54A720AA4A

Old 08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Iīm not able to see that link :(
By the way, I suppose you have read this biography of Queen Ena in English: "Ena Spainīs English Queen", by Gerald Noel.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conde Valleverde
Iīm not able to see that link :(
By the way, I suppose you have read this biography of Queen Ena in English: "Ena Spainīs English Queen", by Gerald Noel.
Sorry, the authorīs first name is Gerard, not Gerald
Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness

Conde Valleverde,
Did you have a chance to find a copy of the painting you mentioned??
Old 09-09-2004, 02:22 PM

Portrait of Queen Ena in Hispanic Society of America

If you are in New York City, there is a portrait of Queen Ena at the Hispanic Society of America on Audubon Terrace, 155th Street and Broadway. It is in the North Gallery (Across from the main building. Although, I think you must go to the main building first to ask security to open the gallery for you). It is in the first gallery in a corner. I don't know who the artist is. I believe there is also one of King Alfonso as well.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Ena of Spain

Queen Ena was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria of England wasnt it? Im not sure. Any ideas?
Her real name was Victoria but it changed to Ena.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Nobility

Yeah, you're right.

Queen Ena was the daughter of Prince Henry of Battenberg and Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg, who was one of Queen Victoria of England's daughters.

I hope that this can help. (Sorry for my English)

Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Gentry

Here is a rare Picture of Queen Ena in Military Uniform:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria Eugenie in Kavalerie uniform 1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	170518  
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella_
Yeah, you're right.

Queen Ena was the daughter of Prince Henry of Battenberg and Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg, who was one of Queen Victoria of England's daughters.

I hope that this can help. (Sorry for my English)
If I'm not mistaken, Queen Ena of Spain was Queen Victoria's favourite granddaughter or at least, the daughter of her favourite and youngest daughter. Hope it helps as well
Old 08-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Commoner

Impossible to see the tiaras the links refer to: no way to see the images

I think the pictures you want to show in these links are of great interest, but the thing is that i've been trying to watch them and i haven't been able to... could you manage to sort this out?
Thanks a lot

Old 08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think Danjel had a problem with the copyright of the photographs, etc. and they all had to be taken away.

It's awful, it was a beautiful site!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Nobility

In this picture posted by rchainho you can also see Queen Ena. From left the first.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=173957
Old 08-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Commoner

what a pity that the photos can't be seen? Can't anybody do anything about it?
It would be nice to watch the photos... since that's part of the history of Spain and its royal family
Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you magnik, these photos of the Queen Ena are marvellous.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conde Valleverde View Post
The last public political words that Queen Ena said were at the Christening of Prince Felipe, attended also by the then Prince Juan Carlos, don Juan (his father) and Franco. Queen Ena approached Franco, who at the time hadnīt nominate yet his successor, and told him: "General, Iīm addressing to you as your Queen. Maybe this is the last time we see each other in this life. You have in front of you three eligible royal princes; choose one as the next King of Spain now. This is a petition by your Queen." Franco appointed Prince Juan Carlos as the next King of Spain the following year.
Thanks to Queen Ena that General Franco listened to her. While I was reading this post I was so amazed by how she spoke those words. Even if I didn't actually hear her say those words I'm pretty sure that she was respected by Spaniards. One question though, did her husband die first? I'm a follower of the Spanish RF but my knowledge of their history is not that good
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Courtier

I, too, do not know much about Spanish history. Was Queen Ena the grandmother of King Juan Carlos? What's the connection?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I, too, do not know much about Spanish history. Was Queen Ena the grandmother of King Juan Carlos? What's the connection?
Yes, she was his grandmother. Her son was his father, the Count of Barcelona. She was born Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenburg and one of the favorite granddaughters of Queen Victoria of England.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

one question: the haemophilia died with her children or any of her grandkids had the disease or transmitted the disease to their own?

thanks a lot in advance